My 1997 stars n stripes obsession

yojoe.com

My 1997 stars n stripes obsession

Well, I finally started going through my collection to display it. Over the last 5-10 years I started noticing differences in some of the 1997 stuff. So, I would buy sets then break them up and keep any variations I could find. I have bought and parted out around 20 of them. Here are some things I noticed:

1. SHORTFUSE--Many different color variations on the legs and some on the head. I found prototypeish almost translucent green bazooka's in a total of 3 of them. Green/Green painted backpack. All 3 were the AA ROCK N ROLL boxes. I did open a set or two that did not have the weapon variation. I never opened one where there was a Zap backpack as listed on YOJOE.

2. ZAP--Paint sprays vary on this figure and you'll notice the bazooka backpack variation

3. SNAKE EYES--Different shades of grey and unpainted buckle and side pouch.

4. STALKER--Minor differences with nothing to write home about

Also, weapons baggie size were different in some of the AA boxed figures.

I took 44 pics but only got 40 of them downloaded. I just got a new computer and am still working out the kinks. Change the pic # to view the others.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...5/DSC00761.jpg
    Last edited by SnakeStorm; 08-09-2015 at 07:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You've got quite the collection there! But you're still missing a few variants! I've been rounding up variants of my own so I can definitively update the archives here. Here's a few things I've noticed:

Most Short-Fuses have camo pants that are sprayed by hand. The colors pretty vary on every single one. The dark pants Short-Fuse, on the other hand....

Same thing with Zap - the black on the shirt is hand sprayed, so there's no consistency there. We just uncovered a new variation with the hairline, though!

Stalker - camo variation is just like the above - any inconsistency is due to the person applying the paint at the factory.

Your African-American Rock n Roll is a transitional one! Earlier samples have a bronze colored buckled like the knife on his chest. Have you found any Caucasian Rock n Rolls with the bronze knife? Looking for confirmation on that one.

Breaker's torso has been found in two different shades of green. The RAHC guide also lists a variation in the post at the end of his laser rifle, but I can't corroborate that at this time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-08-06 16.14.00.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	506.2 KB 
ID:	60992

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-29 19.07.09.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	477.4 KB 
ID:	60993

Yeah, I do have the different colored Breakers. I just didn't list those because most people already have seen those.

Also, have some different Grunts but nothing big and no accessory variation on him.

No, haven't seen the Caucasian Rock N Roll with the bronze knife.

This whole thing reminds me of Funskool and the inconsistencies at their factory.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I haven't seen that Zap with the receding hairline.

One of the reasons I decided to take some pics is that I think I'm about done on hunting for these variants. There's only so many Shortfuze, Zap, etc that I can display in my case.

I'm getting older, just hit 40 in March, and decided to have a stopping point as I have actively collected all figs through 2014. Decided to start letting go of the Modern Era stuff.

I'll still actively collect vintage things but I got to have a place where there's an end game, or close to one. Running out of space and getting older sucks.

Ugh...Phil your Rock&Roll must be the earliest one. The two I have that are different than each other both have silver belt buckles.

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that's the case.