Any obscure memories ?

yojoe.com

Any obscure memories ?

I remember going to a drug store and found a shelf full of leftover flash on 82 and 83 cards but came home with battle accessory packs.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I remember having my employees over for a get together, and one of my lieutenants who was born in '81 looked at my figures on display in the curio cabinet. She pointed to the Baroness and said "oh I had her when I was kid, got her at a garage sale." I asked if she had any other Joes and she didn't. I asked if she even knew who the Baroness was and she didn't. She didn't really explain what she used the Baroness for in her play habits, or called her. Still wonder to this day why she just had some random figure in her toy collection as a kid. Also kind of wonder why she was so interested in a figure dressed as a BDSM dominatrix too? Makes me afraid to ask.

I’ll share my story of Traveling Destro. My mother bought me a Destro and a Hooded Cobra Commander from the Super Flea & Farmer’s Market that we used to go to. It’s since been torn down and replaced by a Super Walmart. I’m assuming whoever she bought it from bought it at a store or who knows, maybe it changed owners a few times before I got it. During the early 90’s, I traded it to one of my friends. He later traded it to another one of my friends who later traded it to yet another one of my friends who later traded it back to me. I then later auctioned it off on eBay in 2000 with all but two of my Joes. So, the figure changed hands at the very minimum of six times. Who knows whose collection it’s in now. Ha, ha.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I remember riding in the back of my friend's parents station wagon as we played with the Rattler and H.I.S.S. tank. I guess I remember it because I didn't have those Joe toys.

Not sure if this counts as "obscure", but I remember going to a Japanese department store called SOGO (still there) in Hong Kong back in the late 80s and seeing pegs full of Takara GI Joes and not picking any up because the card art was all in Japanese and I thought they weren't as authentic as the USA ones. Looking back I have a lot of nostalgia towards the Takara Joes, and I really like the box art.

I registered just to share this memory!

I was watching a cheesy UK TV show called "Entertainment: USA" which was a sort of wry look at the perceived cheesier aspects of US culture.

It had in one episode in the early to mid eighties a clip of what I assume was a GI Joe animated advert - or perhaps the start titles of the first series of the cartoon. I remember aspects quite vividly, but alas have never seen the clip as I remember.

What was odd, was of course it was called "GI Joe" and I had no concept that Action Force wasn't called Action Force across the world! I told friends in school, who of course with no internet to fact check, meant that I was called a liar amongst other names...

... When AF changed it's name to GI JOE: The Action Force, I was delighted and bought nearly every figure I could get my hands on. This has left me with a nice collection (with boxes!) Somewhere in storage!