No more post count padding threads for the time being

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation No more post count padding threads for the time being

No more post count padding threads for the time being.

Such as the word association games threads.

They appear now to be used as a competition to drive up post counts.

The staff will be deciding if these will be allowed to continue or not.

Post padding just leads to strife amongst members and ends up flooding the board with too much nonsense.

We are not trying to take away the fun of the board - just trying to keep it a bit under control.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well, I guess I can forget about having my first Giveaway Contest now
    My G.I. Joe Store
    $1.99 or less bargains! (with low prices in ALL categories)
    --» Wanted

By all means go ahead with one. I'm probably going to have another one early next year, most giveaways I've seen here really wouldn't cross that line at all.

As a follow up to Nick's post, a couple closed threads have been deleted, so some members might see their post counts dropped slightly because of it - myself included.
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I wish I could, but my giveaway was to depend on people's posts. Not a member's total number of posts, but it was still related to their posts.

It would have been fun to see which posts people came up with for themselves. However, I guess that idea is out because those who have posted "too often" would have somewhat of an advantage in the contest. Since that is now frowned upon, I can't run the contest in it's proposed format, eventhough it would have been just like those other game threads: an attempt to have fun and create interest in the board, nothing more.

I have been planning a giveaway for a while, but I really wanted a reason to do it and not just have a giveaway for the sake of having a giveaway. In other words, I wanted members to have to do something in order to enter (I won't say what, because maybe I can use the idea on another board)
    My G.I. Joe Store
    --» Wanted

Well, that's a bummer since the "Word Association Game" I posted was NOT intended to be used as a "post count padding" thread at all, I just intended for it to be FUN!! It was up for a LONG time & now it is all of a sudden not allowed?? I think the rules around here are getting a little out of hand at times, I understand some but not this one! I can think of other ways to pad my post count if I really wanted to or if I really cared! My years as a Member here matter more to me than some post count! I mean, is there some incentive program or gifts for members who have large post numbers?? If not, then who cares how many posts people have!

Oh, by the way I don't see anything about No "Word Association Game", "GI Joe Word Game", or "post count padding", etc. in the rules anywhere?? Correct me if I'm wrong...
    Last edited by Snake-eyes01; 10-26-2007 at 11:34 PM.

Unhappy Please Bring Back Our Games

Hi,please forgive my ignorance.But why does it matter who has more of a post count and who has less?I know there is no prize for how many times you post or is there?It really does'nt matter to me about losing my posts,I lost over 40.I think the competitiveness of who can get the next word coincided with people getting high post counts.I'm sorry if I seem like a smart Aleck but I'm not trying to be,its just the games were fun and now we cant play them(hence theres less fun in the Site).Is there any way we can keep the games with out it counting posts?This way we all win,no high post counts for the staff,we keep our great games,and theres a little more fun around here.Just me and my thoughts rambling but I think I can speak for alot of us about the fun and competiveness in the games.

My $0.02...

Could a new rule apply to every game from now on? something like 'wait at least 4-5-whatever number of posts before your next turn'. this sounds like a healthy solution to these "post count padding threads", I've seen it in another boards

E. Lima
    http://www.joetoonarchive.com/ - Great screenshot archive ;)

Poverty's Paradise NM - Home of the Nuclear Holocaust, Green Chile, Pink Skies, & Blue Meth...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake-eyes01
    Well, that's a bummer since the "Word Association Game" I posted was NOT intended to be used as a "post count padding" thread at all, I just intended for it to be FUN!! It was up for a LONG time & now it is all of a sudden not allowed?? I think the rules around here are getting a little out of hand at times, I understand some but not this one! I can think of other ways to pad my post count if I really wanted to or if I really cared! My years as a Member here matter more to me than some post count! I mean, is there some incentive program or gifts for members who have large post numbers?? If not, then who cares how many posts people have!
    Well said. Let me just add that I'm afraid of RC and DB97.
    Last edited by Super Sport; 10-27-2007 at 12:41 AM.
    I'M A MAC

NEEDED: SDCC Gold PDD, SDCC Blue Suited CC, SDCC TTT SGT. Slaughter, SDCC Starscream, SDCC Shockwave, FSS Nano BATs, FSS Desert Scorpions & FSS CGIs, MISB/UNUSED MIB M.A.S.K. stuff, a factory tachometer for a 65 Chevy Impala, lawyers, guns & money...

Want LiSSt...

TOP FIVE:
    Dondi CIA
    Bates AIO
    Dream TDK
    Jepsy TRD
    Bob Ross PBS

This seems awfully silly for any number of reasons, but the main ones that come to mind are:
    1. I have no idea how many posts I have, nor do I care, nor do I believe most people care.
    2. For those who are "competing" for highest numbers of posts: first off, who cares? I say let them compete. It seems silly to me, but some people get their kicks in various ways and as long as they're not illegal/immoral, I say more power to them. Second, even if this were a sick and twisted thing that must be punished swiftly and brutally, why should the majority suffer for the minority? I realize that in many cases this is "just the way it is" but it doesn't mean it has to be.

So is this a bandwidth issue or something? I mean honestly, what is the justification for this?
    Sam
    Read my blog, or I will replace all your Argen 7 figs with Crystal Balls!

I was just trying to have fun. I don't like the 25th Anniversary figs, so currently, there's not much for me to discuss on the board. All I wanted to do was stay involved and have some fun by participating in those games. Does it really look like I need to pad my post count? (unless I get to become an Admin if I have more posts than you)

I liked those games because you didn't have to wait for someone to tell you if your answer was correct or not and you could just go.

My only problem with those games were that people happened to respond simultaneously and other people's words were ignored. I always changed mine when I was the last to post, but other's didn't
    Last edited by Patrick A. Riley; 10-27-2007 at 09:32 AM.
    My G.I. Joe Store
    --» Wanted