Custom GI JOE Display

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Custom GI JOE Display

Here is a diagram of my "proposed" GI Joe display. It will be a custom build that I'm planning to put in my office against one wall.

I designed it around the USS Flagg. There should be more than enough space to display all my 25th carded figs, vehicles, playsets, busts, etc.

What do you think?

My wife thinks it is excessive and expensive... I agree with her... but I think it will be so cool to have somewhere to display all my Joes, and keep them dust free.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

jjust my opinion

I have been trying to figure out how to display mine. I had a similiar thought you did but I wouldnt do what you are doing. I am not saying its bad, I just wouldnt do it. The reason I wouldnt do it is how are you going to set the dios up? with a 36 deep box you can only really see 10' at best. what are you going to do with the other 26 in'? Its great if you planning on lining up the troops 20 deep with a mirror on the back wall.

I have been fighting with the same issue. I would make the display for teh Flagg ad the just sides cubbies for dios. but make teh side cubbies visable from more than just the front.
    Gi joe helped me to learn to swim! And knowing was half the battle!
    Skystriker's to Trade list http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...414#post287414
    Skystriker's Wants list http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...413#post287413
    Skystriker's Body Parts wants /trade http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=64536
    Here's some pics of my stuff http://www.flickr.com/photos/11325406@N03/

Quote Originally Posted by Skystriker
    I have been trying to figure out how to display mine. I had a similiar thought you did but I wouldnt do what you are doing. I am not saying its bad, I just wouldnt do it. The reason I wouldnt do it is how are you going to set the dios up? with a 36 deep box you can only really see 10' at best. what are you going to do with the other 26 in'? Its great if you planning on lining up the troops 20 deep with a mirror on the back wall.

I have been fighting with the same issue. I would make the display for teh Flagg ad the just sides cubbies for dios. but make teh side cubbies visable from more than just the front.

That is a good point. You could also make the bottom row, 36" deep for the flag and the shelves above it 12" deep. It would require 2 sets of doors and would probably cost more. I have a friend who made a similar sized custom shelving unit made for his antique radio tube collection. It cost him $3000 3 years ago. So, I would expect your project to be around that depending on where you live. Do you plan to build it?
    Chris

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey skystriker, I know what you mean. My plan is to use acryllic risers to raise pieces near the back of each shelf for better visibility. I've used this type of "tiered" approach with other displays and it works well. But, I've never tried it with 36" deep shelves though...

Quote Originally Posted by TOPSON
    That is a good point. You could also make the bottom row, 36" deep for the flag and the shelves above it 12" deep. It would require 2 sets of doors and would probably cost more. I have a friend who made a similar sized custom shelving unit made for his antique radio tube collection. It cost him $3000 3 years ago. So, I would expect your project to be around that depending on where you live. Do you plan to build it?
    Chris
    I thought about this. But I also need the extra room for the terror drome and gi joe headquarters, which will be on the shelves below.

I'm working with a cabinet guy who will build it, and plan to spend around the $$ you mentioned. Do you have any pics of your friend's set-up?

ohio- right next to the air force museum- which totally rules.
    WOW. that thing is massive. the side cubbies are 18" tall, 2 feet wide and 3 feet deep. I can see why the wife would have reservations. 12 feet long, and almost 8 feet tall. if you build it, i would like to see pictures. that's like the ultimate gi joe shrine.
    Leonard Hofstadter: Once you open the box, it loses its value.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

That's a cool display case. Is there any way to make it out of something other than wood though? I'd like to see that made out of something more like plexiglass so that you could see all the way through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman2099
    That's a cool display case. Is there any way to make it out of something other than wood though? I'd like to see that made out of something more like plexiglass so that you could see all the way through it.
    I could probably get glass shelves for the side cabinets, but the center shelves need to be wood due to their sheer size.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog
    WOW. that thing is massive. the side cubbies are 18" tall, 2 feet wide and 3 feet deep. I can see why the wife would have reservations. 12 feet long, and almost 8 feet tall. if you build it, i would like to see pictures. that's like the ultimate gi joe shrine.
    Oh, I'm building it! Just waiting for the quote to come back. My flagg box has been in our bedroom for years now... my wife said "do something with it, or get rd of it! ...so I'm doing something with it

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mindbender
    Oh, I'm building it! Just waiting for the quote to come back. My flagg box has been in our bedroom for years now... my wife said "do something with it, or get rd of it! ...so I'm doing something with it
    Wow, a FLAGG box in your bedroom. Your wife must be pretty cool. I have my terrordrome in our bedroom. My wife will give it an eye roll every now and then.
    "that's the way baseball go"