Display ideas for GI Joe figures (book cases, glass doors)?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Display ideas for GI Joe figures (book cases, glass doors)?

I have about 700+ GI Joe/Cobra figures in loose/complete condition. I would love to display them on shelves organized by years but not sure where to start looking for the shelves/cases. My perfect display is to keep them dust free but if I can't, then that won't stop me from displaying them on regular shelves. Should I make my own shelves or purchase a book case/shelf from Lowes, Home Depot, Ikea?? Any input/advice from fellow Joe collectors would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen some really nice IKEA displays, but if you don't live close to one they can bend you over on shipping.

I'd also suggest looking for peoples Curio cabinets on Craigslist. You can find some really nice wooden/glass displays that way for really nice prices.

A company could make a fortune off building nice affordable displays and marketing them towards action figure collectors, I'm surprised you don't see it more often.

You should just build something. You can make it exactly like you want it and avoid the cheap crap they sell at Ikea.

I built this display case for my figures:

And also a lot of display shelves like this:

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Always love seeing that set-up, silverc, but not all of us have carpentry skills!
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.

Man that's such a nice looking Joe room. My hat's off to you, sir.

Those displays weren't difficult to build. They are just basic pine 1x pieces, cut, sanded and glue/nailed together. And then painted. I bet most guys, if they had the tools, and a well-thought out idea could build something just as nice, or nicer, than what I did.

Thumbs up

Very, very nice setup of the figures and vehicles. I thought about getting shelves to put figures 3 deep but after seeing your display, I am going to do it only deep enough to put them 2 deep. Thank you for the wonderful input...your collection is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by silverc
    You should just build something. You can make it exactly like you want it and avoid the cheap crap they sell at Ikea.

Thumbs up

Amazing setup! I love the green shelf with all of the figures on it. Did you custom build it or did you buy something and just paint it?

- XUMUSKIEFAN -
    Check Out My New Store!

IndyCollectibles eBay Store

Feedback

He built all of that.
    If you don't have skills or tools though try the adjustable shelves sold to hold DVDs or books like at best Buy, Walmart, wherever. You have to assemble them but that required a screwdriver and hammer only. I have one of the six foot tall by 3 feet wide shelves in my office. I use the small plastic display cylinder cases available on line and fit 5 figures per shelf. I varied the shelf heights with the pins so I can put small stuff like the watch tower, VAMPs, etc... on some shelves too. I only display my favorite figures and toys I had as a kid on it.
    Shawn Carden

Rules to win a gunfight
    1. Bring your gun
    2. Invite your friends that have guns too
    3. Don't fight fair

Quote Originally Posted by silverc View Post

Good god, man. That is the best looking Joe room I've ever seen. My hat is off to you.