G.I. Joe Reloaded? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : G.I. Joe Reloaded?

Dreadnok4life
07-19-2004, 01:55 AM
Okay I have now read the first four issues of Reloaded and I don't really care for it. I want to like it, but it just isn't grabbing me. The "modern" speech patterns sound very immature coming from supposedly professional military men. I.E. Rock n Roll saying "Dude" every other line. The guy is a S.E.A.L. but he sounds like a burn out. The Cobra Street Vipers and their Hip Hop speak is even more annoying. I do understand what D.D. is trying to do, but I don't think they have to make the characters sound like Justin Timberlake in order to grab new (AKA younger) readers.

The storyline/s aren't lame, just a little boring. I don't look forward to the next issue like I do with the regular series. I wish D.D. continued with Frontline and never started Reloaded.

Anyone else agree with this or am I the crazy one again? ;)

thoughtcrime
07-19-2004, 09:25 PM
You're not alone. I also really wanted this series to be good, but it's largely crap. Cobra stealing the constitution? Give me a friggin break. Its just not a satisfying read & I will likely not be picking up issue #5. I'm more inspired now to go back and get the Marvel trades, and hunt down the 30-odd Devils Due issues.

Antarctica
07-20-2004, 02:24 PM
I am still on the fence.

The first few issues didn't seem to different, which this ultimate version is supposed to be.

But from what I have read about the next few issues that are coming out. There may be some real departures form the main DD run. Which is what I have been looking for.

If they are going to mix it up with a new series, they need to do more then they currently are

cmderinchief
07-20-2004, 03:34 PM
With the RAH series, I blaze through the stories, and like you, I look forward to the next issue. I struggle with Reloaded. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't grab me like the original. I still have an issue that I haven't read yet and I don't feel at a loss. I will still buy them to support DD and the GI Joe line, but they ain't my cup o' tea.

seaneley
07-20-2004, 07:49 PM
You all have pretty much said what I feel. Both Marvel and D.C. continue to come out with What If, and Ultraverse, and OtherWorld stories... and the bottom line for me is "who gives a crap?" If Superman or Spider-Man die in an alternate universe, what do I care? Nobody does. It's not the "original". I just can't work up much emotion for this alternate reality Joe-verse...:(

Joeczar
07-21-2004, 12:17 AM
I thought Cobra Reborn was pretty good, but everything after that has really been poor. It got so bad I noticed that I missed the last issue and didn't care. I figure I can always pick them up for 50 cents later on. I like the regular series and Master & Apprentice, but I could really care less about Reloaded. Most of the problem lies with the writer. He couldn't write a coherent action sequence if he tried. He wrote Dreamwaves Transformers/ GI Joe miniseries, and it was equally bad. He thinks it's enough to have "Tough" talk and acting cool replace soild charatcer development and action (It makes me long for Larry Hama's writing). I'm enough of a completist that I'll get them, but not for $2.95 a shot.

thoughtcrime
07-21-2004, 11:01 PM
The art is good, and I agree that Cobra Reborn was awesome. They need to get a new writer in there fast or this series is gonna get canned.

NIGHTWING
07-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Let me write for it. I do a killer Cobra Commander impression.

Now I Know...
07-21-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm not really thrilled with it either,who wants to rewrite what we all know and love? I mean can you imagine Star Wars Reloaded?

seaneley
07-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Believe it or not, they have done a "Star Wars -- What If?" type of series! It's all stories like "What if Darth Vader didn't die in Return of the Jedi?" Yech!:eek:

thebigzakbowski
07-22-2004, 02:34 AM
With the RAH series, I blaze through the stories, and like you, I look forward to the next issue. I struggle with Reloaded. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't grab me like the original.

just what I was thinking

Dreadnok4life
07-23-2004, 01:01 AM
Wow I'm surprised everyone feels the same way I do. So far I have picked up every issue of Reloaded, but I only do it out of loyalty to D.D. and Joe.

I agree with everyone about re-writing the Joe universe. Star Wars Reloaded would be pretty lame.

Marvel had a good idea concerning two Joe titles. The regular series had the long story lines and Special Missions was supposed to be one issue stories. Although they did stray from that a bit. Joe and Cobra combined have like 300 different characters so why does D.D. have to remake the Joeverse when there are soooo many stories to be told. Like Mercer's origin for example. Or what happened to Billy all these years? I could go on for days.

zartan15
07-23-2004, 08:16 PM
You all have pretty much said what I feel. Both Marvel and D.C. continue to come out with What If, and Ultraverse, and OtherWorld stories... and the bottom line for me is "who gives a crap?" If Superman or Spider-Man die in an alternate universe, what do I care? Nobody does. It's not the "original". I just can't work up much emotion for this alternate reality Joe-verse...:(

One of my favoite series was the what if?. There they can kill everyone of, cobra can rule the world, or get the planet eaten. All without having to explain how everything returrned to normal.

Dreadnok4life
07-24-2004, 02:48 AM
I remember a few of the What If's. But I always looked at them as being almost comic (as in funny). I think a few of their themes were similar to "What's if Spiderman was really Spiderham?" The character would be named Peter Porker and it would be a pig dressed in Spiderman's costume. Pretty goofy stuff.

RAS ONE J
07-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Same here guys..I was disappointed with Reloaded series too. I just bought the first 3 issues and that was it. I actually like Master and Apprentice better.
I rather have Frontline then Reloaded.

Dreadnok4life
08-06-2004, 02:45 PM
I have read the first two Master and Apprentice books and I think they are great. I also read Reloaded #5 and it was even worse. Blech! :(

badfish
08-06-2004, 06:03 PM
does anyone know when master apprentice 3 is due to the stands

thoughtcrime
08-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Anyone notice that Reloaded is 5 issues in and has no letters section?

Dreadnok4life
08-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Anyone notice that Reloaded is 5 issues in and has no letters section?

I noticed that. I don't know if that means there are no positive letters or DD just wants the extra pages for advertisements.

thoughtcrime
08-08-2004, 09:35 PM
i did notice a glowing letter in one of the main issues, 31 or 32. It praised reloaded 3, which I thought was the worst. either way i feel better having dropped the book. i'm going back and getting the marvel trades, and collecting the main line now.

Vin Zador
08-10-2004, 11:38 PM
I guess I'm the definate minority when it comes to Reloaded. I love the whole concept of updating/reworking GI Joe. Now that's not to say I prefer it to the original, I'm just saying that Reloaded has a chance to provide some real entertainment. Hasbro isn't going to allow main characters to get smoked in mainstream Joe since they own the rights and want to keep on making figures. But in Reloaded, it's a whole new ballgame. The rules don't apply.

Granted, the first story arc (1-3) was a bit slow at times, and the pacing of the story kind of jumped around. But it laid some ground work for upcoming stories that I was to read. Is Snake Eyes a Cobra Agent or what?

Issue 4 was a vast improvement on the first 3. Rock N Roll is a great character in this series, not to knock the original, but the old Rock N Roll just wasn't very relatable/appealing to me as a character. Reloaded RNR has a vendetta for Firefly, goes on a mission and finds him, kicks his tail and sets Firefly on fire! Now we don't know if Firefly survived, but I'm hoping no.

It is what it is. A story. DDP has opened the box and said "Here's the GI Joe universe, re-write how GI Joe came about (updating for the times) and DO WHATEVER YOU WANT in the process."

It's not going to replace the original by any stretch of the imagination but it will be entertaining. Just my 2 cents.