Diorama building question [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Diorama building question

Richard J.
07-19-2004, 03:24 AM
Hey all,

I'm trying to build a Cobra POW Camp and I need some advice. What are some light weight, but sturdy, materials I could use for walls? It would have to be something that could take paint.

Also, does anyone know how I could make or where I could buy Joe scaled items to use with it? Like furniture, equipment, and other stuff.

Thanks.

Richard J.

P.S. What do you think of the avatar?

gunless
07-19-2004, 07:59 AM
first, nice avatar.

Now as for the walls - foamcore is the most commonly used material. It can be purchesed for a few bucks a sheet at any craft store, and cuts fairly easily with and exacto knife.It can be glued together with hot glue, taped, or glued with foam glue, and will take paint well

For something a little more durable, pvc sheet is a great alternative(I,m using it on a project I'm working on now)It's ALOT more expensive (about $40 for a 4X8 sheet) and a little harder to work with(It can still be cut with an exacto)
It needs model/crazy glue to hold it together(I use Zap-a-gap), handles paint well(it's plastic- krylon fusion works good), and is ALOT sturdier. If you look up "plastic sheets" or "plastic, wholesale", etc. in the phone book you should find a place or too that carries it.

Plastruct.com is a good place for stairs, pipes, etc.

http://www.printmini.com/printables/ph.shtml is a great place for posters and other stuff(use 1:24 scale)

furniture, equipment and other stuff can be found at craft stores by the dollhouse section or dollhouse stores(try an online search)

and finally, not joe dioramas, but the best dio site I've seen (he shows you step by step how he makes each one, provides downloads, etc.):
http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/home/home.html/home.asp#

hope this helps, and I can't wait to see your finished project!!!!!

Richard J.
07-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Gunless, you may very well have answered all my needs! When I've got enough free time, you can bet I'll be going over those links and studying how others have done it.

This is my first foray into diorama building, at least as a serious attempt. I used to make cardboard makeshifts with poorly drawn computer screens and such. Lately, I've just gotten a need to make something really good, something Hasbro should have made but never did.

Hopefully, I'll finish it before too very long has passed. I'm terrible about following through with things.

Glad you like the avatar! I always liked the look of the Sonic Fighter Viper, just hated his uber backpack.

Richard J.

yojoeshow
07-22-2004, 05:56 PM
As far as furniture, Playmobile works. You can usually find it at toys that teach stores.

Richard J.
07-23-2004, 12:55 AM
As far as furniture, Playmobile works. You can usually find it at toys that teach stores.

Could you post a small pic of a figure with some piece of Playmobile furniture? I've been getting ready to use makeshifts of paper but "real" furniture would be nice if it looks right.

Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to a Dio Newbie's questions.

That thank-you goes to you too Gunless!

Richard J.

ArashikageArmTattoo
07-26-2004, 07:01 PM
I have a ton of Playmobile stuff in the basement, let me dig some out, and send you some pics of the Playmobile pieces next to some Joes, both older and newer scuplts. Should be able to post it to you tomorrow night. (Tuesday).

Also, anybody have any good places to get some balsa wood online. I dont have many hobby shops and such around where I live. Thanx.