Ebay sellers who don't combine shipping? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Ebay sellers who don't combine shipping?

Druss
07-20-2004, 08:06 AM
First off let me say that yes I know if the auction does not state that combined shipping is available then one should not assume it is. That being said....

I recently won 3 auctions, a MMC almost complete with box closed for a very low $15, I snagged it mainly for the box and plan on dumping the MMC. He had a few other auctions closing so I figured why not and got a Night Ray mostly complete for $50 and a Night Viper for $4.50.

I receive the various auction notices about them so I email him asking for a total.

My reply.....each auction lists the shipping total, add them all up and thats your total. Huh.....excuse me?

So I reply and question him, I stress I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything just looking for a fair deal. In his reply he says he goes by what the auction says regardless if its good or bad for him, so in this cause because the auctions didn't specify combined shipping he wouldn't offer it, even though everything can easily fit within the MMC box.

Personally I find this quite rude, in a situation like this he's obviously out looking to make back what he lost in the auctions in the shipping.

So just to be sure I went back and looked at the auctions and saw that the Night Viper auction does state combined shipping on Joe toys....hmmm....did I catch him? I'm gonna be a dick about it if I have to, I don't mind paying a bit extra but I won't pay him $5 extra to toss the Night Viper in the box.

Ebay ID: l5r_trader for those who are interested.

thunt4
07-20-2004, 11:00 AM
If he wants to be a dick then be a dick right back. I would say since i am paying for each items shipping then I want 3 seperate packages. lol

BelgianGabber
07-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Yeah but he'll still make money when he sends three seperate packages. That's his main purpose. I won 3 yu gi oh cards for my girlfriend's brother and the guy charged 3x 6$. So that's 18$ for three stupid cards!!! He wouldn't come down from that. I too don't know what to do, get the neg or pay him...

Druss
07-20-2004, 11:09 AM
I may do that thunt, just to screw with him, he will still make some $$$ but not as much. I can at least understand it with the vehicles but how can you justify charging $5 to ship a single figure when your mailing a MCC to the same person....I mean really.

Part of the my ebay Shipping annoyances, and maybe this one is fair but I won this auction and the guy wants $94 to ship them.....for those who ship bulk, does this at least seem reasonable? I think he said UPS Group from Oregon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5909425687

I bought the collection for the Crimson HISS and decent cheap figures but that much shipping really kills the good deal I got.

BelgianGabber
07-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I think that's a pretty fair shipping price. There are a lot of heavyer items in it and he'll send out in a couple of boxes. If it's ground, it might be a little less but I don't think he's making that much on it...

Druss
07-20-2004, 12:09 PM
He checked USPS Parcel Post and it was like $35 more, oh well....I guess I should have thought about that before I bid :)

On the other deal, I checked his ebay feedback and he had received a few Neutrals before about charging $35 to ship some records when the postage on them was only $4.50, of course he said well the auction stated X and left the guy a negative in response.

I really don't want to get 3 Negatives but I've got a high enough feedback that it won't hurt too much, where-as this guy's % will take a good hit with 3 negs tacked on :)

BelgianGabber
07-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Don't pay the extra 35$ if he stated it was less. He's ripped off people, let him stick to his discription...

Druss
07-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Well he checked cause I asked him too, this is the $94 shipped one though, I'll just do that one UPS for $94.

On the other I'll probably just stick it to him like was suggested above.

Too bad you can't cancel your bid after the fact and be off the hook so no feedback danger and all that.

BelgianGabber
07-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Yeah true, the feedback system sucks big time. It's a sellers protection instead of buyers protection.

themoney75
07-20-2004, 05:51 PM
i always combines shipping at a cheap price.and i shipp within 24-48 hours of payment.i know some shipp when they feel like it.fast payment=fast shipment thats how i do it the right way.i wish more people would catch on to this.

Druss
07-20-2004, 06:21 PM
I try and do the same, sometimes shipment will take a few days though. What irks me is he won't even consider combining his shipping. In my opinion its just rude but after checking his feedback it seems par for the course for this guy.

amphigory
07-21-2004, 09:08 AM
you should take into account shipping charges when you are purchasing. i know it sounds weird, but this is how we bypass some of the rules. ebay charges a final value fee. if i sell the item for less, but get more on the shipping, you pay the same, but i get a discount on the final value fees i pay.

RotterdamTerrorCorps
07-21-2004, 09:18 AM
fast payment=fast shipment

EXACTLY!

Some buyers pay instantly within a few hours. Then I find it my duty to ship within 48 hours. When I need to remind and remind and remind for payment I will be much slower.

You get what you give! :D

RotterdamTerrorCorps
07-21-2004, 09:30 AM
ebay charges a final value fee. if i sell the item for less, but get more on the shipping, you pay the same, but i get a discount on the final value fees i pay.

Yeah so? What's in it for me? IMHO: If you don't want to pay the fee, then don't offer on eBay.

amphigory
07-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah so? What's in it for me? IMHO: If you don't want to pay the fee, then don't offer on eBay.
if you don't like my shipping price, don't buy. i will continue to post items on ebay and they will continue to sell. most people are smart enough to take shipping prices into account when purchasing an item. i clearly post shipping prices on my auctions. obviously, it hasn't bothered too many people as i have never received a complaint email or negative feedback from it.

NIGHTWING
07-21-2004, 10:26 AM
I've had problems like this. My advise is, screw it or pay it. If you want the item, pay the s/h costs, if you don't want it bad e'nuff, don't pay and get the neg, just write a follow up note under a neg feedback. Charges too much s/h, or something to that effect.

RotterdamTerrorCorps
07-21-2004, 10:46 AM
if you don't like my shipping price, don't buy.
100% true! :)

i clearly post shipping prices on my auctions.
No comment on that one! I do as well and I think that is the most honest way of working.

Maybe I misunderstood you. Let me explain what I understood: I undestood that after auction ending you keep the final price the same, but you shift the amounts (bidding and shipping) around, so you pay less fees. OK, fine with me, but if I would help you as a buyer with that pratice I would ask: what's in it for me?

the joe bandit
07-21-2004, 10:53 AM
I some times think that combining shipping is unfair. But from a different point of veiw, the losing bidder. If say a seller has 5 auctions up, shipping at $10 a piece. I want 1 of them and Racer X wants all five. Of course he can outbid me because of the savings he gets from the combining of the auctions gives him extra cash to throw at the last one. I do this all the time. I win a figure I want, then if a seller has a figure that also would fit in my collection, I will overbid on it because shipping will be dang near free. Just my two cents, and that being said, I always combine shipping!

thunt4
07-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Thats a great point also bw. I bid on multiple things just because i know later on I will not be able to get the other things for less than I can now. I don't know why such a big deal on shipping. I mean stick a reserve on it or something instead of screwing the guy on shipping. Someone said above they charge high shipping. Why do that and screw your customer when you could just stick a reserve high enough that its higher than what you wanted to sell it for and then the amount over that would be used for the final value and listing fees.

BelgianGabber
07-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Thats a great point also bw. I bid on multiple things just because i know later on I will not be able to get the other things for less than I can now. I don't know why such a big deal on shipping. I mean stick a reserve on it or something instead of screwing the guy on shipping. Someone said above they charge high shipping. Why do that and screw your customer when you could just stick a reserve high enough that its higher than what you wanted to sell it for and then the amount over that would be used for the final value and listing fees.

So true, guys screwing on shipping, I just avoid like the plague. You need to make money on your item, NOT on shipping!.

Druss
07-21-2004, 12:30 PM
you should take into account shipping charges when you are purchasing. i know it sounds weird, but this is how we bypass some of the rules. ebay charges a final value fee. if i sell the item for less, but get more on the shipping, you pay the same, but i get a discount on the final value fees i pay.

Shipping is taken into account when buying, the shipping prices were listed, but what the seller is doing is just rude, refusing to combine shipping in a instance where he can easily do it.

I sell on ebay and understand what your saying but charging a extra $0.50 per item to help re-coup some costs is different than charging $5 to ship a figure when the same person bought a Mobile Command Center and is paying $15 to ship that.

So true, guys screwing on shipping, I just avoid like the plague. You need to make money on your item, NOT on shipping!.

Agreed! It sickens me people who do it very deliberatly. When I sell single figures on ebay I state right in the auction, $3.00 to ship 1-4 Figures First Class w/DC, $4 to ship 5-8 Figures 1st Class w/DC. If the guy only buys 1 figure I do make a bit extra, to me I would rather the same person bought 5 figures as its easier to mail out, receive payment, contact the user, etc.....I try and encourage multiple purchases by offering the combined shipping like that. Much less overhead on me as a seller to email 1 person about 5 items then email 5 people about 5 items and spend the extra time to track the 4 extra sales, addresses, etc.....its just a good business practice, ebay wise.

I'm still trying to stick it to the guy, his figure auctions stated he will combine shipping on G.I.Joe Toys and that if lot are bought he will combine them all. Now the vehicles didn't say this but its misleading to say that in one and not assume the others are covered.

At this point either he agree's to ship together or I just won't buy them, I really want the Night Ray and the price was cheap but I don't want to give him the satisfaction, I figure he'll neg me sooner or later anyways, he's only got 54 feedback though so 3 negs on his account will look much worse :)