Issue 32 Discussion - Spoilers [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Issue 32 Discussion - Spoilers

Jeff Bohn
07-21-2004, 07:13 PM
http://www.yojoe.com/comics/image/dd32.jpg http://www.yojoe.com/comics/image/dd32a.jpg

What did you think? Which cover did you get? Any lingering questions?

JWLJN
07-22-2004, 05:18 PM
I got the CC cover. I haven't started really buying the new comics regularly (I bought 10 & 11 as back issues) but this issue may start me. It was the cover that pulled me in, though.

-J\/\/

Ghost X
07-22-2004, 06:34 PM
The "Wraith" cover was the only available in the comic shop I frequent. I like the CC cover better, though I think its a bit misleading given what happens inside.

I was quite surprised with turn of events, and I am starting to wonder what the deal is with DD & mixing up the alliances within Cobra. 1st the fake Destro, then the rise of the Coil, then Destro leaves, now this? THe backstabbing has always been in the various comic series, but I dont think the DD series has had a Cobra accomplish anything in its three year run.

I think the new writer is a major improvement from Baylock, and I will be interested in seeing where he takes the title now that he has tied up all of Baylock's loose ends. Of course, I am a Hama devotee so I like many others on the board would have loved to see him as the author. Then again I wasnt too impressed with his frontline story arc & reading some interviews from him show that he would probably take the Joe comic into new territory as well.

Once last thing, people on this board have commented about continuity with the Marvel series, largely worried about ruining Hama's legacy. Interestingly, Hama comments that he thinks continuity should be ignored if you have a good story to tell. He even admits forgetting some things that die hard fans remember. Interesting to see if the Hama God would stick as close to things as I am surprised DD has so far.

Dark Goji Lord
07-22-2004, 07:21 PM
What happened to CC damn't please don't tell me we won't see him for another 37 issues.

PFStalker
07-22-2004, 08:09 PM
where do you get the other covers, my comic shop only had the CC cover
do the comic shops get one or the other?

Now about Hawk, I don't really care if he's dead or not I never really liked or hated him, he was always just there.

If Cobra is dead(for real) then this comic is in trouble.

Dark Goji Lord
07-22-2004, 08:10 PM
where do you get the other covers, my comic shop only had the CC cover
do the comic shops get one or the other?

Now about Hawk, I don't really care if he's dead or not I never really liked or hated him, he was always just there.

If Cobra is dead(for real) then this comic is in trouble.
What happened to CC?:mad:

PFStalker
07-22-2004, 08:12 PM
he got shot.

Dark Goji Lord
07-22-2004, 08:20 PM
:eek: :( Why him?

acmirro
07-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Zandar! Zandar! Zandar! Zandar!!!!!

He lives!!!

Anyone disagree now???:)

Mike JT
07-22-2004, 11:29 PM
It was an okay issue. They seem to go by so fast without anything building successfully. Hama I think would have had the whole issue be the attack on the train and found a way to make it compelling for 28 pages. With maybe a two page interlude to set up a new arc.

I like that Zartan is actually Zandar in disguise right now. Where's Zartan?

I like the revelation that Baroness and Destro got hitched somewhere along the line.

CC was really strangely out of character going against the train solo to attack Hawk. CC was never a coward in the comics but he also wasn't gung-ho. I'm thinking he may end up being an impostor.... Screwing the Joes out of Destro and CC and crippling Hawk. Leaving them with less then before.

Chuplayer
07-22-2004, 11:40 PM
I got the Wraith cover, the only one available at the comic book store. (I also got the previous issue's Wraith cover, so at this rate I might as well just continue getting Wraith covers as long as they come out.) This issue was a real shocker. One of the best so far. So much stuff happened, I think I have to go back and read it again.

acmirro
07-23-2004, 12:09 AM
I like that Zartan is actually Zandar in disguise right now. Where's Zartan?

Where did you get that from?

I was going on that Zandar is the one to put the knife to Dr. Mindbenders throat.

You could be right, though. I guess we wait and see!

Either way, im elated Zandar is alive! He's alive!

Mike JT
07-23-2004, 02:22 AM
Where did you get that from?

I was going on that Zandar is the one to put the knife to Dr. Mindbenders throat.

You could be right, though. I guess we wait and see!

Either way, im elated Zandar is alive! He's alive!
Looking over it, it is open to interpertation.

I'm going off Zartan being in a full mask and breathing apparatus for the last two issues. I think his disease coming back is a cover for Zandar taking his place. And it is unclear who is holding the knife on the Doc. And "Zartan" saying he was talking to the "wrong person" implies that Mindbender thinks he's talking to Zartan but is really talking to the "wrong person" (Zandar).

dockingbay97
07-23-2004, 12:41 PM
It was an okay issue. They seem to go by so fast without anything building successfully.

That has really been my only complaint with DD. The stories are so quick. I think things that take one issue should really be worked out over 2 or 3 issues instead.

acmirro
07-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Looking over it, it is open to interpertation.

I'm going off Zartan being in a full mask and breathing apparatus for the last two issues. I think his disease coming back is a cover for Zandar taking his place. And it is unclear who is holding the knife on the Doc. And "Zartan" saying he was talking to the "wrong person" implies that Mindbender thinks he's talking to Zartan but is really talking to the "wrong person" (Zandar).

Great points!

Zandar did suffer a wound to the stomach, so I doubt he would be running around dealing w/ CC and the bunch; Id assume he is "home" healing.

Zartan is a master of disguise, but Zandar is a master of not being noticed, which would fit perfectly with him being behind the Dr w/o being noticed. Also, the knife is pretty much the same one he attacked Zartan with.

Still, im not saying you are wrong, just stating why I think it is him behind Mindbender.

Dreadnok4life
07-23-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm still waiting for Devil's Due to ship me Issue 31. I ordered it two weeks ago and I'm still waiting. My local comic book stopped carrying Joe... thanks to the million unsold Reloaded issues on the rack.

Mike JT
07-23-2004, 08:01 PM
Excellent points as well sir. Toot sweet!

I think YOU are probably right. But I think *I* should be right. I like that twist more.

Great points!

Zandar did suffer a wound to the stomach, so I doubt he would be running around dealing w/ CC and the bunch; Id assume he is "home" healing.

Zartan is a master of disguise, but Zandar is a master of not being noticed, which would fit perfectly with him being behind the Dr w/o being noticed. Also, the knife is pretty much the same one he attacked Zartan with.

Still, im not saying you are wrong, just stating why I think it is him behind Mindbender.

Dreadnok4life
07-24-2004, 02:13 AM
I found 32 at a comic book shop in another town. Of course they didn't have #31 so I'm still waiting for it to show up in the mail. Thanks Devils Due. I have to agree with the previous post regarding Cobra never accomplishing anything. Talk about a dysfunctional family. If I hadn't read the Marvel series, I would wonder what brought the high ranking Cobra's together in the first place. They all clearly hate each other more than the supposed enemy.
And that doesn't make much sense to me. They spend more time scheming and plotting against one another than they do on plans to further their organization. It's sort of lame.

I don't know what happened in 31 so it's hard to totally evaluate this issue. I enjoyed Jerwa's rendition of Overkill. It almost made me feel sorry for him.. ALMOST. Where did the twins and their crew come from? They seemed to have appeared out of thin air. The paneling did not explain things enough IMO.

I hope Jerwa doesn't turn Hawk into Joe's version of Professor Xavier. That would be lame. Hawk commanding the Joes from a wheelchair... BAH!

My first taste of Wraith (remember I missed 31 so far) was.. uninspiring. He is Joe's version of Iron Man. If he is such a bad dude.. why would he shoot the Joes with "hornet's nest" non-lethal rounds instead of just offing them? A mercenary with a heart? BAH! Wraith really isn't all that special without his super suit. Or did I miss alot in 31?

PFStalker
07-24-2004, 12:04 PM
No you got wraith right, he's a really bad character. If more supersuits or superpowers appear in the GIJoe world, then I'm leaving.

I just assumed that Hawk is dead, and that they would start killing off more characters.

I like the point of view, that Zartan is actually Zandar, Devil Due should give Mike JT a job.

Mike JT
07-24-2004, 01:00 PM
No you got wraith right, he's a really bad character. If more supersuits or superpowers appear in the GIJoe world, then I'm leaving.

I just assumed that Hawk is dead, and that they would start killing off more characters.

I like the point of view, that Zartan is actually Zandar, Devil Due should give Mike JT a job.
Oh the stories I would tell. :)
Thanks for the compliment.

I can gurantee you you'd be seeing alot more characters from 86-88 my favorite Joe period.

Dark Goji Lord
07-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Why is everybody looking over CC isn't anybody upset?

Mike JT
07-24-2004, 05:37 PM
That the ruthless leader of terrorist organization got shot twice by one of his underlings?... Yeah I am CRYING for that car salesman.

PFStalker
07-24-2004, 09:46 PM
I'd love to see some stories about the 86+ Joes like Hit & Run
as for Cobra, He was "killed" before and he'll proubably be "killed" again

danyanda
07-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Hmmmm, Cobra Commander shoots Hawk in the back - already happened

Baroness and Destro plot to screw Cobra Commander and take over the organization - already happened

Next thing you know Major Bludd will "kill" the Baroness, Destro will crack up about it, Storm Shadow will capture Scarlett and take her to the Silent Castle where Snake Eyes will have to rescue her, there will be a battle between Mutt, Tripwire, and Torpedo and Zartan, Destro, Firefly, and CC in the Everglades, and the Battle Force 2000 will get killed in Benzheen.
So many facets of the DD series are just mimicking the Marvel run, then offing a few main characters who I personally don't want to see killed to make it edgier. I enjoy it, but I have not been overly impressed with the story quality since the first 4 issues.

I am actually looking forward to Wraith being a completely original idea that doesn't mirror or just blatently rip off story lines from the Marvel run. So far it is well done and has the opportunity to set up a good new character for development.

Dreadnok4life
07-25-2004, 08:50 PM
I am not upset about Cobra Commander because A) He'll live B) He'll regain control of Cobra and C) Then Marvel, Devil's Due or whoever does Joe next can repeat the process over again.

I have to politely disagree about Wraith. He's just a clown in an Iron Man costume. B.F.D.

I have to agree with Danyanda. With all the potential stories to tell.. why re-hash ones we have already read in 1985?

Mr Rage
07-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Who's to say that Zartan & CC didn't switch places in issue 31?

Mr Rage

Fire Viper
08-06-2004, 12:17 AM
I thougt it was Wraith who was going to bring down Hawk and not CC.

Dreadnok4life
08-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Wraith was going to take out Hawk, but he had to run to 7-11 to buy some D batteries for his super duper costume. :D

Fire Viper
08-10-2004, 11:01 AM
It actully don't think Waith is that original, he seems like DD's Serpentor, who also was annouced as a new main bad guy, who would battle CC for control over the Cobra Island.