Seller cancels auction *watch him* [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Seller cancels auction *watch him*

joe_collector_DG
07-25-2004, 04:08 AM
Check out this ebay item #5910491442

I guess the seller did not want to sell all four figures for 0.99 cancelled due to error after 6 days of the 7 day auction?? Seems fishy to me?

I sent ebay user crimsonandblack (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws1/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=crimsonandblack&iid=5910491442) a question about it. See if he responds??

RotterdamTerrorCorps
07-25-2004, 08:35 AM
Yeah, it is not how it should go. But if there are NO bids, then you can retract. If there are bids on the items, then it is an absolute NO to do!

Did you already place a bid or not?

amphigory
07-25-2004, 09:36 AM
actually, ebay allows you to end an auction early for several reasons. maybe he sold it to someone down the street. jeez, you people take this so stuff personally. you get all up in arms over the goofiest cr4p.

Mike JT
07-25-2004, 10:45 AM
So a few years ago I was really into Star Wars... While cruising around ebay I spied a HUE lot of vehicles.. literally every new vehicle that had been released up until that time. This was 2000 or 2001. The auction had already gone up to 200. Way out of my price range... and there were only 3 vehicles in the lot that I REALLY wanted (Deset skiff, Y-wing and AT-ST if memory serves) So I went to the usergroup at FFURG I think and asked if anyone wanted to go in on it and split the cost and divy up the vehicles. I had some takers and when we pooled our money we ended up with somewhere around 400. Probably enough to win it. As soon as we sort of get our ducks in a row barteing for which vehicles we would get.. I think inthe end I gave up the Y-wing and was going to get an X-wing and a Naboo fighter.... I am about to place the bid...The auction is ended early.

gunless
07-25-2004, 11:54 AM
I disagree amphigory. If there were bids on these items, he should follow through. The seller placed an item up for auction(sale), he should sell it. If he was going to sell it to someone down the street, he shouldn't have put it on ebay(even though he is allowed to cancel it for this reason). If he wanted a certain price he wasn't getting, that's what a reserve price is for.

If however, there were no bids, it's kind of iffy. That's the price you pay for waiting to bid on someone's auction.

BelgianGabber
07-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Ebay allows it, even if there were bids. If it wasn't allowed they would not let you take it off ebay.

red25thta
07-25-2004, 02:36 PM
What about gunless who bid and won a Flagg for 150. The guy does not sell it too him and re-list not once (where he cancled it because it was not high enough for him) but a second time. He got 350 or so that time so hopefully he finally sold it.

BelgianGabber
07-25-2004, 03:14 PM
You know with ebay, unless you have a reserve, you might end up with less than you want. If he took it of twice and ended up with good cash the third time, he got lucky... I wouldn't do it but like said before, ebay allows it...

dankelzaga
07-25-2004, 03:34 PM
I see this all the time. Especially with MOC figures. People essentially use ebay as a price guide anymore in order to see just what their figures are worth. I was all set to bid at the last minute on two AFA 90 JOES a couple of weeks ago (spirit and blowtorch U.S) and they had plenty of bids on them. With around 5 minutes left on each auction (after a week of being up) the items were ended. Just part of the ebay experience and not much you can do about it.

Dankelzaga

joe_collector_DG
07-25-2004, 03:34 PM
Yes, I had bid on the item. The seller did not email me to let me know why he was cancelling the auction or anything. I sent him a message but I have not heard back yet.

As for amphigory - I am not getting up in arms, just notifying others and posting to get some different perspectives. I realize that there will always be someone with a different perspective but I will not bid on his auctions again.

I have sold many items on ebay and some have not sold for near what I wanted but I do not cancel the auction. I doubt very much if this is what eBay intends for sellers to use the cancel auction feature for. Maybe he does have a different reason but this is what it appears to be.

eBay allows a seller to start the auction at whatever price they want. He did not have to chose $0.99 to start at but he did. He also could have placed a reserve on the auction if he wanted a set price for the item - but he didn't. There are specific tools that ebay has supplied to allow sellers to set a selling price.

It just seems dishonest to me to cancel when you have put an item up for sale and have a bid. When buyers submit a bid, ebay stresses that your bid is a contract and you have to follow through. The same should apply to the seller. If he has put it for sale on eBay then he should not be selling it to someone off ebay. If he was going to sell off ebay then don't put it up for auction.

BelgianGabber
07-25-2004, 03:50 PM
You have a contract after the auction is over. Then you must sell it for the price reached. While the auction is going, you can take it down, simple as that...

I understand you are upset because you wanted it, but the seller is allowed to do that.

red25thta
07-25-2004, 04:07 PM
Not even after it is ended. Otherwise that guy would have had to sold his Flagg to gunless. I love E-bay but too many of the sellers need to be removed permantly. You want a certain price use the dang reserve option. I have.

gunless
07-25-2004, 05:09 PM
just because you are "allowed" to do it does not make it ok. You're "allowed" to leave negative feedback for someone in retaliation, but does that make it ok?

and if he did end it early to avoid a reserve:

"Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated"

BelgianGabber
07-25-2004, 05:21 PM
just because you are "allowed" to do it does not make it ok. You're "allowed" to leave negative feedback for someone in retaliation, but does that make it ok?

and if he did end it early to avoid a reserve:

"Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated"

I never said it was "the right thing to do". I only said it was "allowed" by ebay.

gunless
07-25-2004, 05:25 PM
never said you did;) .

amphigory
07-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Not even after it is ended. Otherwise that guy would have had to sold his Flagg to gunless. I love E-bay but too many of the sellers need to be removed permantly. You want a certain price use the dang reserve option. I have.

actually, this guy could be removed. if this had been an auction i had won, i would have reported it to ebay and he would have lost his account. once the item says "sold", it is sold.

all i am saying is that prior to that you can pull your auction. if you feel that someone is abusing this option, report the item number and i.d. to ebay and they will investigate. if it happens alot with the same seller, they will pull their account.

as buyers and sellers we should report violations, follow the rules, and be aware of both sides of the situations. this will make eBay a better place. one guy at a time. Now you know.....and knowing is half the battle.

this psa was brought to you by G.I. Joe

BelgianGabber
07-25-2004, 05:49 PM
No biggie man :)

gunless
07-25-2004, 06:31 PM
I did report him and they did nothing(as usual). they told him not to do it again.

BelgianGabber
07-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Yeah ebay isn't very cooperative. I just sold a yak face but the buyer paid from a credit card while it clearly stated not to. I denied and now he isn't replying anymore. I e-mailed ebay that if I left him a neg, could he neg me back because I did nothing wrong? They didn't reply...

gunless
07-25-2004, 06:55 PM
yes he can:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/questions/retaliatory-feedback.html

ImaWalkingCorpse
07-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Actually negative feedback can be removed, I have had it done one time when the guy used a BIN on an auction, wouldn't pay and then left me a negative feedback. I left him one, and then I emailed ebay and within 2 weeks it was removed. So it can be done, dont listen to those who say it can't. It may take a while, and they might not do it at all. But at the very least you can wait until the 89 days 23 hours.. so he cant retaliate. I have 3 non paying bidders that I am going to nail that with. Chris

SnakePlissken
07-25-2004, 11:24 PM
I figure if a seller ends an auction early, then the joke is on them. Since most of the bidding occurs in the final 90 seconds of an auction, the sellers are robbing themselves of what they would truley get for an item. Same goes for these fools who use Ebay as a priceguide. So they end an item 5 minutes before the auction ends, and think that the highest bid is the most someone is willing to pay for that item? The items' high bid may vary well double in the final minute or so. Again, the seller is the true fool here.

They are just gambling against the odds. Since you can see how many people are watching your item, and many people fill their watch list (me), they place a minimum bid just so they can track it and snipe in the final seconds.

Personally, I don't think that I would like to be the one gambling by dealing with someone with such little common sense. These are the fools that slap 7 figs in an unpadded envelope and charge $8.00 to ship it to your door. Most ebayers are good people (buyers and sellers), and they have about just as much time for games as myself---NONE!!!!!!

Just my thoughts,

Nick.

joeboy75
07-26-2004, 09:23 AM
I just had an auction I really wanted end with only a few days left. Too bad, I was the only bid and it was going really cheap. I hate it when they do that. Oh well...

RotterdamTerrorCorps
07-26-2004, 05:18 PM
With around 5 minutes left on each auction (after a week of being up) the items were ended. Just part of the ebay experience and not much you can do about it.
Yes, you can: nail the f***face with tons of mail and ask others to join the cause! :eek: If you want to sell at a minimum price, there is something called a reserve on auctions. In the past I have sold things almost for free. I might as well put them in my garden with a sign: "Free stuff today!" But hey, that wrong pricing was MY fault! I made the error of placing things at ridiculous prices. That is what's called learning by trial and error! :D And those few bucks I lost really did not make me a less happy person!

IMHO:
No bids: seller is free to withdraw the auction at all times or sell it via other channel.
Bids on auction: seller should not withdraw from auctioning. If seller does, he questions his own integrity and should not be surprised if he gets nuked to bits and pieces.