AFA Question [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : AFA Question

JustPassinThru
07-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Hello. I was hoping that some of you could help me out with some information about getting figures and/or vehicles graded by AFA. Personally, I don't like AFA figures but you're seeing more and more of them. I don't really understand what the major flaws and what would knock a figure down a lot and wouldn't make it AFA worthy. Many of my sealed figures have creases(some worse than others), price tags and possibly torn hanger tabs. That sounds like a lot but they display really well. That's all I care about. However, I have a few that I think are nice pieces including a Shipwreck with minimal sticker residue, a nice Footloose that looks really good to me, and a Cobra Officer that would be dead mint except for hang tab damage. It's torn through but it's still in tact and displays well. Also, do vehicles have to be completely sealed(ie-tape not come loose) to be graded? Thanks for any help.

dankelzaga
07-26-2004, 04:52 PM
HI--good question. I've dealt with AFA for quite a few years and unfortunately there is no clear cut answer to the method behind their madness. Grades of 85's and above are very tough to get and if there is a flaw that you can easily identify (such as the cobra with the hangar tear) you can count on no better than an 80. Things such as pressure wrinkles on the back of cards will hurt you much less than a bend or something and I do think they have become a bit more lenient on these as they are so common. Bubble flaws no matter how small will drop a grade extrememly quickly. If your figure is damaged (I once had a tripwire with broken crotch that got a 75) you will get dinged hard. However, my take on the market is that you will get a much better price (if that is your intent on grading) with a low bubble grade vs a low card grade. I've seen 85's with bubble grades of 80 and card grades of 85 go for far more than 85's with cards of 80 and bubbles of 85. I also think that first impressions have a bit to do with it. If when you look at the piece the colors, borders, etc look crisp and clean then generally you may end up with a bit nicer piece. I've had both 95's (shipwreck), 90's (stormshadow), and all the others and to be honest. I just couldn't tell a bit of difference between the 95 and the 90. Stickers don't do much with a grade and neither does punched vs unpunched (however, those seem to be the things that set apart an 85 from a 90 or 95 of course). I've gotten 85's back quite often with sticker rub marks as long as that is the only real flaw.
On the subject of boxed vehicles--I recently talked to a rep at AFA about the grading of sealed vehichles as I purchased a couple of items off ebay that were stated as sealed but the tape had fallen off with time. Obviously the graders prefer them sealed, but they will examine tapeless items and if they can ascertain for certain that the flaps weren't bent, or other indicators show as much you "may" end up with a misb grade. The costs for boxed items are pretty steep and the odds aren't with you however. I have often wondered how "since carbon dating isn't in use at AFA :)" that they can tell original 1/4 inch fibretape vs some you can order from office depot and put out in the sun for a bit for aging.
Hope this helps a bit---nothing like just sending one off and seeing what if comes back. Use the cheapest scale and try your luck. If nothing else the cases are great and almost worth the price alone in the cheapest scale. Good luck and Semper fi

Dankelzaga

keg_daddy
07-29-2004, 11:31 AM
dankelzaga-
Will those AFA 95/90 Shipwreck/Stormshadow be heading to ebay anytime in the near future???

dankelzaga
07-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Heya--------unfortunately no,, they were sold to Darren of PlanetForce a year ago. I'll keep your name handy though in case I come across either. Seems like I should have bought stock in AFA as much money as I've given them lately.

Dankelzaga