Getting Started? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Getting Started?

GBPackRat
07-28-2004, 09:59 AM
I've got a bag of figure parts and etc and I was wondering how and what I need to get started in customizing...

I was thinking of using a primer on the figures before I paint them.
Then I would paint them.

Any suggestions/advice/tips on getting started?

A place to get paints, the type of paints, types of brushes, where to get brushes?

"How to advice" for a newbie on customizing?

How do I get the paint to not be sticky, but also not chip?
How much time does it take to create a figure?

How much do brushes, primier and paint costs?

Basically I no knowing on how to get started. All I have are the parts and everything else I don't have a clue on.

Someone please help me out. You can either post here, or e-mail me at:[email protected]

Thanks,
Tanner

Lt.foxhound
07-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Tanner,

Well a place to get alot of info is www.joecustoms.com.
http://www.joecustoms.com/guide/guide.php This is the customizing guide. They have at the bottom 2 good "how to make a custom" guides.

The type of paint to use is acrylic, The brands I use are Testors(model masters),Tamiya,apple barrel/folkart(get them @ walmart)
you can get the paint from ehobbies.com,megahobby.com.
Enamel paint doesnt cure very well to the plastic the joes are made of,Takes forever to dry.

The bigest problem when painting figures is the shoulder joint paint chipping,theres no real cure, but what i find that helps is to sand the shoulder joint w/ 220 grit sand paper.

The brushes I get @ walmart and Hancock fabric's around $5 a pack (3-5 brushes per pack)

I havent used primer yet some say its needed, but I havent used it yet.
But if your painting say, white over a black part it's a good idea to use it IMO.

As for the time it takes making a custom figure; 1hour to 2days,provided I have the parts I need. If I dont have the parts it may take a month 'til I get what I need.

Hope this helps!
Grant

Obiwanjacoby
07-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Rule #1. Always buy the expensive brush. High end brushes last longer and do better details.

Bonus advice:

I use Citadel miniatures paints, but that makes 'em look like toys, so you might want to go with Testors or something else.

You want a "realistic" looking custom?

Use flat clearcoat sealer.

You want a "toy-looking" custom that looks like Hasbro made it?

Use gloss clearcoat sealer.

That 220 sandpaper advice is the best thing I heard in awhile too.

-PJ