New Auction Site...Who wants one? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : New Auction Site...Who wants one?

amphigory
07-28-2004, 10:22 AM
alright guys. i hear a lot of complaining out there because of disagreements with ebay on buyers, sellers, and fees. i can put in motion the setup of an online joe auction house. it could have other categories for transformers and whatnots, but it would be primarily for the joe collector. is there enough interest to make it somewhat profitable. would you guys use it over ebay, even if it meant slightly lower final bids. granted, the fees would considerably lower than ebays. lmk

Druss
07-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Someone already tried this, I think it lasted a little while but in the end didn't make it.

the joe bandit
07-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Unfortunatly he is right. I just dont think there was enough traffic. Not enough sellers or buyers kept the prices and the selection low.

frenchy
07-28-2004, 12:32 PM
I think it could work if the seller fees are low enough. For it to work it has to be extensively advertised over the internet and people have to be willing to sell on it. Without sellers theres nothing to buy. I really want to see this happen and hope it will. If you need any help please contact me. Anyone else that wants to see a online joe auction place please post your comments and suggestions here.

KtownJoes
07-28-2004, 01:25 PM
I think the previous attempt also folded due to some other reasons as well. I may be wrong on that though. I would sell there if you had like a flat monthly fee or similar structure.

Advertising would be key for sure. I think limiting it to Joes would be a huge mistake. You should market it as all items gladly accepted. The bigger scope you can cover, the more markets it appeals to.

If you promote it as a GI Joe site, but will allow those "other" lines, then I think the other lines would appear as not as important.

If it had a good fee schedule & a great advertising push I would sign up the first day.

BelgianGabber
07-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Problem like with everything is the start. Not a lot of sellers will be interested in 'investing' lets say 10$ to sell, if it hasn't got a lot of visitors for sure.

frenchy
07-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Problem like with everything is the start. Not a lot of sellers will be interested in 'investing' lets say 10$ to sell, if it hasn't got a lot of visitors for sure.

This is what im trying to say. Sellers need to realize that hey you might need to break even a little to see big profits later. One promblem with everything is that people don't want to suffer a little to see somthing great in the end. I really hope someone takes this idea and runs with it.

BelgianGabber
07-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Another problem is a lot of guys have few things for sale. It's not worth it if your selling 5-10 figs a month.

frenchy
07-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Another problem is a lot of guys have few things for sale. It's not worth it if your selling 5-10 figs a month.

It can be if fees are low enough. Thats where this site needs to be different from ebay. You could have say a $10 flat fee for one month of selling. And you could have a $.50 total per auction fee if you don't want to pay the $10. Once again these are just ideas.

BTW this is my 3,000th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yipee

amphigory
07-28-2004, 04:41 PM
i was thinking of something like

First six months, no final value fee. you only have to pay your modest insertion fee. this will get sellers involved right at the start. the more items that are posted, the more likely buyers will show up.

of course there would be plenty of advertising through yojoe! and other online joe houses.

BelgianGabber
07-28-2004, 05:05 PM
And what if it would be free to put up figures for a while? Or maybe better, 5-10 free auctions? This could attract people and help settle the site. It's only an idea :)

Druss
07-28-2004, 05:49 PM
One problem I would have with a site like this and one I had with the other was no real buyer/seller recourse, what happens if a seller stiffs someone? The site could easily be held responsible as things aren't clearly laid out in every possible way like Ebay/Paypal are.

BelgianGabber
07-28-2004, 06:16 PM
True. But if you right down a declaration that the site isn't responsible for any loss you have by using the site's facilities...

I think it's a very nice idea but hard to make successfull, sadly enough

amphigory
07-28-2004, 07:30 PM
we are not talking about making something huge here. it would be more of a forum for people who collect and sell joes to get together in a convenient and safe environment. there would not be huge fees, because that is not the purpose for creating the site. the modest fees would just be to cover some overhead.

i was actually thinking of having the site be directly responsible for the handling of complaints. there would of course be stipulations, such as:

1. every package would have to have delivery confirmation (paid by the buyer). it is only 45 cents. if the seller does not put it on there, then he is responsible for the loss.

2. items must be shipped within 2 weeks. period.

3. charges will only be reversed after a complete investigation. items will be sent to the company, the money will then be released and the item will be sent to the original owner. no one gets the money and the item.

4. incorrect or incomplete contact information will not be tolerated. every member of the site will be required to have up to date info. all privileges will be suspended immediately if there an error.

5. buyers or sellers found to be fraudulant will lose membership immediately. through the proper channels and after a complete investigation, privileges may be returned if the fault was someone elses. accounts will be suspended until a decision is reached. that way they cannot continue to take advantage of others.

keep posting ideas, maybe we can create something that will work. i have a programmer working on the possibilities right now.

frenchy
07-28-2004, 07:50 PM
I personally don't like the delivery conformation rule. i think that and insurance should still be up to the buyer and seller. I do disagree with the view that this will be impossible to get off the ground. I think if the site has someone solid and dedicated running it and collectors buy and sell there then it will be successful.

highlander
07-28-2004, 08:01 PM
the auction site was call gijoeauctions.com
and i loved it
they did not avaties wall
i want to buy it he wanted to much for it
i had a lot of good ideas

frenchy
07-28-2004, 09:37 PM
the auction site was call gijoeauctions.com
and i loved it
they did not avaties wall
i want to buy it he wanted to much for it
i had a lot of good ideas

Im not sure what your saying since it looks like letters stuck together in random order, but, i think you thought they should have advertised, prices were to high and nobody listened to your ideas?

It was advertised, but not well. Prices were VERY low. Finally, your ideas probably couldn't be worked in.

figuresdirect.com
07-29-2004, 02:02 PM
gijoeauctions is down from what i understand after talking to mike not because of lack of business but due to the fact of needing tech support and not having time to do it

me and mike are supposed to get together soon and see what we can do to get it going again

i will im him tonight and see whats up but i am sure its just some tech stuff and i am sure as long as mikes still wanting to have the site we will get it back up

but when it comes back i wanna see all you guys that have been complaining about it being gone on there ! lol ;)

frenchy
07-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Thats the best news ive heard in a long time. So guys, tired of paying $6 to ship 1 figure? Tired of deadbeat bidders and sellers? If so help make gijoeauctions.com a success. Email snow. You can reach him the his website, www.bigsnowtradingco.com

frenchy
08-04-2004, 10:36 PM
any more news on this?

Snow
08-05-2004, 08:49 AM
hello all,

I am talking with Walt and Curt and I will get back to you guys soon.

I also think its time I explain why I closed the site down. Basically, lack of intrest and a a nasty catch 22. People were very supportivePeople Sites and Newsgroups), I had tons of people join the site, but no one listed. It was a flat fee of $9.95 a month for unlmited listings. I accepted paypal and Money orders. I did everything I could to work with the collectors, but in the end, there was not enough intrest. Here are my thoughts why:

1) I had Joe fans and long time Joe collectors coming in. What does that mean you ask? Shouldn't that be a good thing? Yes and No. For example: Lets say you put a CG up. Mint. List it for .99. It would only go for $11(documented). Why that cheap? Because there were no "new collectors/got a have it bidders", ie the guy who basically says I want it for $25. Therefore a seller says " I'm not going to give away my good stuff, and they go to Ebay"

2) I gave away alot of free accounts. And you know what? I had to beg people to list. We had 430 members and no one wanted to list.

3) The monthly fee. Man, I thought this was a good idea. I spend at least $200 in ebay fees a month, and in my mind it was a gimme. But people complained and said it was too much. Why did I choose this way? Well, after alot of research I discovered that credit cards fees and monthly billing was way too expensive, You loose money on $.50 insertions. You have to charge final price fees, and I didn't want to do that. You also can't invoice people at the end of the month and say" hey, pay me this" becuase you know what? Alot of people won't do it.

4) NO Way I was going to keep peoples Credit card info. That is just asking for problems.

5)Advertsing. I spent 1,200 on advertsing and I got.. nothing.

See the catch 22 on this is that YOU HAVE TO HAVE PEOPLE LISTING. People have to see alot of items for sale or they won't join. Its a nasty circle, no one was listing because no one was coming because no one was listing.. whew!
Don't get me wrong, several of my close friends paid and never listed. And to them, you know who you are, I thank you.

In conclusion. Am I mad? Nope. I tried to do the best site I could and in the end it didn't work. Do I wish I had all the money I invested in the project back? Of course.

But I think I would have been disappointed in myself if I had not tried.

Now you know, and Knowing is half the battle..

Michael

GBPackRat
08-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Snow,

Well explained. I was away for 2 years (2002- 2004) and I missed out on this completely. It sounds interesting and I wish I had been around to see it.

I'm sure you did the best you could and I at least would like to comend you on a job well done even if it didn't have the support it needed to stay a float.

I'm sure you did and tried everything to keep it going, but when things just don't want to work...There comes a time to shut down and cut your loses.

Tanner