Cleaning up price tags and sticker residue? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Cleaning up price tags and sticker residue?

bigjohnwoo
07-31-2004, 01:54 AM
Does anybody have advice on cleaning up partially removed price tags and glue off of MOC figures? Is it safe to use goo-gone?

I realize the best course of action is not to attempt the removal of a stubborn sticker in the first place, but they're past that point, and I'm trying to clean them up for sale and/or AFA grading.

I don't want to apply a solution for fear that it might damage the card art. What to do? And in the future, is there a secret way of removing these 20 year old price tags?

Dean
07-31-2004, 05:06 AM
I have used Goo-gone in SEVERAL occasions. BUT, you have to use it VERY carefully. Take a Q-tip, and throughly wet the tip of it. Run in all over the sticker, but INSIDE the sticker, not the surrounding portion. Let is sit a little, peel, put more goo-gone, peel etc. It is a slow process for best results. You can go out of the sticker, but it leaves an ugly outline that scared the heck outta me, and I thought I ruined my MOC. But after a day, it dessapeared, and the MOC looked GREAT. One thing to look out for though, is that the card is not sun damaged in ANY way, because under the sticker is FRESH card, and if the surrounding card is even slightly dull, you can see a PERFECT square on the card. Just make sure you go slow, and test on a cheaper MOC.

I was at first very skepical of Goo-Gone, and I first test used it on Uncut backer cards, and it worked great. Then I went to 90's MOC, worked AWESOME, then finally to my early 80's MOC. But when I removed a sticker from an 1983 Snow Job MOC, I did not notice the SLIGHT dullness of the card, and when I removed the sticker, that portion was A LOT more radiant that the rest of the card, and it was obvious I had removed a sticker. So, I put another sticker back on it.....

Ok, just try what you want dude, this is my little stories and input.

dockingbay97
07-31-2004, 09:33 AM
I have never had any problem using Goo Gone from taking stickers of modern pieces to vintage Star Wars.

zartanmaniac
08-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Hey:
I have alot of experience removing price tags on gi joe items. Goo-gone is the best thing to use for them. The best way to do it is to put goo-gone in a small eye-dropper container so you can only squeeze out a drop at a time. Trying to use a regular goo-gone bottle is ridiculous. Partial price tags are alot harder to remove then whole ones,especially if the top part of the sticker has already been removed. The easiest stickers to remove are:Toys r us stickers, with the hardest being kaybee and child world stickers. I say this from experience I bought a whole collection A guy bought from numerous toy stores and it was "fun" getting the stickers off. With a whole sticker get one edge up with your fingernail and then put the goo gone underneath. You're going to want to make sure you have small pieces of paper towel to wipe up the extra goo-gone. You're going to wnat to flood the bottom of the sticker with drops of goo-gone as you are slow peeling it off. Beware of the very last side as it comes off the card it can easily take some of the package with it. I think paper towel,your fingernail and goo-gone are the best way to take off stickers.
Jeremy