Why No New Cartoon? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Why No New Cartoon?

Shiplore
08-04-2004, 03:43 PM
This might demonstrate my naivete, but why isn't there a new Gi Joe Cartoon.

I know I bought the toys before I saw the cartoon, but the cartoon kept me hooked, help flesh out my play universe and even teased new upcoming toys...

Why hasn't hasbro commisoned a new cartoon?
these spytroops and VvV CGI things are cool and all (from a kids point of view..i thought their LACK of characterization to be annoying..) but a one shot mini-movies isn't nearly as effective as a half hour a day every day after school.

seems like if they want to push the toy cartoons are teh best way possible....look at home many lame powerranger toys they've sold cause of their show...

shippy.

frenchy
08-04-2004, 08:42 PM
I think if VvV the movie is a success then you will eventually see a cartoon. I think Hasbro didnt want to rush into joe full force and have it flop.

Mike JT
08-05-2004, 12:58 AM
Because unfortunately true adventure shows aren't hip with the kids. They like fantasy anime stuff. TMNT is probably the only popular cartoon that would be close.

skorponok returns
08-08-2004, 01:01 AM
I think that it would help toy sales, but then again, MOTU had a cartoon and now that line is cancelled.

If one was made...would it follow the previous continuity (as the new toys and comics do) or start a new one (as Hasbro did with Transformers)?

Frezeboogz
08-08-2004, 04:57 PM
I have thought of this before. I loved the cartoons even though when I got to the age the show was coming off the air. So i didnt get to enjoy it much. I think they should try to put a new cartoon series out or even re-runs for all i care. Unfortunately with the current state of the United States I am sure there will be people protesting it's "glorification of war" I think they should try something along the lines of fighting terrorist that are more like todays terrorist. But please no CGI cartoons.

frenchy
08-08-2004, 08:13 PM
If the cartoon comes out it will be CGI, sorry to say but it will.

bigjohnwoo
08-08-2004, 09:24 PM
GI Joe desperately needs a new show. The whole thing that differentiated the Real American Hero line from the classic 12" one was the non-anonymity. There's so much backstory and characterization built into this brand that no yr2004 kid is privy to. Hasbro was really arrogant to relaunch the line without any of the auxiliary media support it had in the 80s. Joe doesn't even have the neat-o/gimmick factor of Transformers going for it. Looking at these new toys alongside licensed movie action figures or iconic superheroes, I have no idea why a kid these days would choose a two-pack of 'Agent Switch Gears' and 'Tentical Viper' or whatever over a 'Harry Potter' or 'Spider-man'.

Frezeboogz
08-08-2004, 10:05 PM
If the cartoon comes out it will be CGI, sorry to say but it will.

NOOOOOO, i hate those things. Their mouths and their voices are never quite in sync. If u ever saw the transformer cartoons u know what i am talking about.

EagleEyeJoe
08-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Hasbro has had interest in a new cartoon since 2002. The problem is there's no market support for it right now. With a foreign war considered by many to be going bad (no political discussion, just stating fact) and reluctance of networks to appear "too American" its just not the right time.

Having a cartoon doesn't even mean much. Transformers have Energon. They have it stuck as the worst time slot period. Cartoon Network has an aversion to anything not their own or 100% Japanese imported.

As for CGI, yes.. any new endeavors will be CGI. You wouldn't want it any other way today. Traditional cell drawn cartoons are all but gone, and kids just don't like them for some reason. Test markets have shown kids think they look "old" even if they are new.

CGI cuts the cost of animation, provides a faster turn around time and this helps you have quality dubbing and good voice actors.

A new cartoon would also embrace a new continuity as Spy Troops and Valor vs Venom do to a point. It would complete the reboot.

nightc1
08-09-2004, 11:42 AM
NOOOOOO, i hate those things. Their mouths and their voices are never quite in sync. If u ever saw the transformer cartoons u know what i am talking about.
The only other option these days it to japanify the series... which IMO would suck more than the CGI. I honestly don't like the direction Transformers has gone. My luck something similar would happen to GI Joe if it when anime and that is... GI joe get's infested with little kids that play some minor role in the overall story... yet are majorly represented in every single story :( . That would suck.

I'm fine with the CGI stuff. Even though the Transformers CGI stuff mostly sucked... I found it much more enjoyable than the anime version that's out now.

Joe_Informer
08-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Note to HASBRO:

Are you trying to tell me that a multi-million dollar toy operation named G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero is not strong enough in name value alone to self support itself.

The Cartoon Series was your biggest support in marketing your toy and comic brand......look at the profit and take a deep breath when it comes to old Kenner problems.....time to flush the crap out and move forward, the live-action pic is coming, and what better way to start a campaign with a series twelve months before the film.

Give me a break.....it's time to launch!!!

Shiplore
08-09-2004, 03:43 PM
I agree. I think the cartoon would draw kids to the toys. As a society our imagination is lacking. it helps to have "personalities" for the toys already. Not that that's a great thing but that's how it works.

I think it would be easy to pitch a show against "terrorists" and it's very easy to keep the jingoism to a minimum. introduce international characters.. big ben...Volga et al.

I don't mind CGI as long as they don't change the characters as much as they did in spytroops. I'd rather havea cartoon but i understand it's time is almost past...

shippy.

EagleEyeJoe
08-09-2004, 04:06 PM
One more time...

Hasbro stated at the convention that they DO want to make a cartoon series BUT there is no interest by networks to show it. Where could it be shown? Cartoon Network deepsixes anything that it doesn't produce itself, and seem to be in Mattel's corner right now.

In this day and age, Networks just don't want to get involved with a cartoon based on a military theme. I don't like it, but it's the truth. It's a limitation. This is why Hasbro has struck a relationship with Paramount to distribute their material OVA style like happens in Europe and Japan.

The whole video entertainment market is on the verge of changing if you haven't paid attention.

Shiplore
08-09-2004, 04:28 PM
There's no interest in the good old fashion syndication?

shippy

Frezeboogz
08-09-2004, 09:05 PM
The only other option these days it to japanify the series... which IMO would suck more than the CGI. I honestly don't like the direction Transformers has gone. My luck something similar would happen to GI Joe if it when anime and that is... GI joe get's infested with little kids that play some minor role in the overall story... yet are majorly represented in every single story :( . That would suck.

I'm fine with the CGI stuff. Even though the Transformers CGI stuff mostly sucked... I found it much more enjoyable than the anime version that's out now.

japanify the series....i actually dont think that would be a horrible Idea. Things are faster in "japanified". IMO. I was always a fan on DBZ and such cartoons which is probably why I wouldnt mind. Oh yeah and did I mention that CGI SUCK.

james strickland
08-10-2004, 01:23 AM
All I know is that when the spy troop movie came out were I worked sold out of the figures they had on the self at the time. So whats the problem with having a new tv series. I remember the 80's cartoon had a psa after the cartoon so why not try that. It might sell the series. I don't like the time frame of the new transformer cartoon eather maybe thats a problem. lot of questions to answer. We( the collectors ) want answers

destroscastle
08-10-2004, 03:27 AM
I have different idea on this matter.I think the cartoon should be maketed to adults.Does anyone remember that Fox's X-men and Batman animated started off in primetime and the kids ran with it.I think most GI joe products are being bought by adults not children.I think a lot of people who don't collect toys would watch the cartoons.At my work place I metioned at one point that I collected toys.I took a few jabs for it,however I loaned my joe cartoons out to about 10 different people who were just dying to see the old cartoons.I wear Cobra T-shirts all the time and people always come up to me and say "where can I get one of those?"I also think cartoon network is the wrong avenue not everyone gets cartoon network and most people in my age group don't really watch it because it has become the anime channel.

CobraGang
08-10-2004, 08:52 AM

I HATE THOSE TOO! Every time I tell my friends, "How can you watch that?? Their mouths and voices aren't even in sync with each other!!", they look at me like I'm crazy. I can't watch it. It's like watching a bad cartoon karate flick.

cageyJG
02-18-2005, 12:47 AM
By the way, did all the cartoons disappear from the gijoe.com website? Can't seem to find them :mad:

Ridureyu
02-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Honestly, I think it's a matter of the networks not wanting to run a children's show about patriotic american soldiers fighting international terrorists, but that's just me.

Richard J.
02-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Honestly, I think it's a matter of the networks not wanting to run a children's show about patriotic american soldiers fighting international terrorists, but that's just me.
It's a sad thing when networks place their ideaology over quality entertainment. The problem is that the people in charge of many networks are letting their personal views dictate business decisions. Hasbro had that problem after the Kenner takeover. Business should dictate itself.

The problem exists on both sides and it is annoying.

Richard J.

Viper Commander
02-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Im guessing networks feel that the violence in Gijoe is too realistic. Just look at Yugioh and Pokemon, as I mentioned before, I hate those. I wouldnt mind if they Japanify it as long as they make it look more like Ghost In The Shell, and not have little kids as main characters, that totally killed transformers for me...

GI Steevy
02-18-2005, 08:05 PM
There's no interest in the good old fashion syndication?

shippy
Apparently not, and in all reality, what was the last big property that had a toon in syndication? Beast Wars Transformers?

If a cartoon is not a part of a major network block (CN, Kids WB, ABC Family/Jetix, FoxKids), it will not get the kind of advertising and support to actually make it worthwhile venture and do what it is supposed to do: promote toys. As EEJ said, the times, they are a changing.

I'm hoping that the next GI Joe series and OVA do well, I think if they are, we might see a new series in 2006, or perhaps around the time the movie is finished (2007, maybe?)

Ridureyu
02-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Woohoo! new cartoon coming! I stand corrected.

joebahama
03-29-2005, 10:22 PM
To be honest with you I think the GI joe Franchise theme that existed in the 1980s just doesn't sell well with cable, studio, and cartoon franchises. Without getting too political I'd say the world has changed and people want kids to live in fantasy and not the real world. :(