Looking for some rationale - comments welcome [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Looking for some rationale - comments welcome

Bubba-J
08-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Hey all,
First I want to state that I am not trying to point fingers or single out anyone with this but I can never understand the whole 'you ship first' deal. I have been burned in the past and I know others have been also but what is the rationale behind one person or the other shipping 1st. I prefer to ship at the same time. I feel that is the safest way to trade. Both parties are putting faith in the other and what is there to say that if I abide by shipping first the other party takes my item and is ...poof, gone.

I just do not understand it. We have the good trader board with everyones dealings on the big spreadsheet that Ktown keeps and that should be the guide to working with others. Any comments on the rationale for 'shipping first' would be appreciated...maybe I just take offense to it a little, which I shouldn't. I have had nearly 100 positive trades, no negs and feel that my rep stands pretty good. I am going to get off my soapbox now..thanks
J

GBPackRat
08-06-2004, 12:35 PM
I almost always ship the same time or infact before others send...

The only time I request that the other ships first is if it involves money coming my way. If that is the case, I like to hold back my half until the money arrives and I always let the other person know this upfront incase it raises any issues.

Tanner

frenchy
08-06-2004, 01:19 PM
I wait either because im selling it to someone or the person is a newbie. Otherwise i always go same time. Hey Bubba, why would you agree to send out first? Your rep is good enough. Thats just asking to get burned IMO.

Bubba-J
08-06-2004, 01:26 PM
I wait either because im selling it to someone or the person is a newbie. Otherwise i always go same time. Hey Bubba, why would you agree to send out first? Your rep is good enough. Thats just asking to get burned IMO.

not sure why I agree to ship first...maybe I just know that I will hold up my end and that if the other person falls through on theirs, well then I know I keep my rep. Or maybe I just don't want to go back and forth about who sends first or not...

My Generation Toys
08-06-2004, 01:47 PM
I always have people ship first. The only way I would ship at the same time is for people that I have dealt with many times prior or if it is a respectible online dealer.

Otherwise, I never ship until I have his/her half in my hands.

This is just precautionary for me.

dmurray
08-06-2004, 01:53 PM
well i have no problem shipping first if the other person has a better rep. than me, but what ticks me off is when they don't say they want you to ship first and you don't know until they get your stuff and then they tell you that they are sending their end of the deal.. most of the time i send at the same time but i have sent first a few times..

there are a few people i deal with that i would send my stuff weeks before they would only because i trust them.. BubbaJ is one of those people..:D

anyway just my 2 cents worth..

Duane

The Soft Master
08-06-2004, 02:24 PM
I did a trade with someone where I asked them to send me a tracking #, and as soon as I got delivery confirmation I sent out my package and sent him a tracking #. It worked fine.

BIGFAN
08-06-2004, 02:42 PM
i am basically in the same boat as softassylum.

but again bubba you neednt ship first man

your rep stands for itself..and thats why having a good rep is so valuable

redviper
08-06-2004, 02:55 PM
well bubba..i'm sorry to hear that some here has trick you..
me as other traders...I don't realy have a problem to shipp same day or next day..mostly I shipp stuff next day cause first I have to stop by the post office or go to store to get some bubble envelopes and when it's time go > back to he post office.. then the office is already close..
so I always say the I will shipp next day if is possible.....

even when I don't know the seller or trader..I still trust them...is after them if they want to trick me...
so the next step after they trick you is to leave a bad negative feedback for them..
but it happends..you never know...

take care pal...

have nice weekend yall!!

Bubba-J
08-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Although I do appreciate the kind words and confidence in my trades, I am not saying that I have been tricked, nor am I looking for reasons why I should justify sending or not sending 1st. I am just curious to know peoples rationale for why they would ask someone to send 1st. I like the idea of sending at the same time (unless $ is involved), but am curious why some feel it is necassary for the other person, regardless of reputation, to ship their end before yours. What stops that person from saying..no, you send first, and then it just goes back and forth.
J

red25thta
08-06-2004, 04:09 PM
I'll be honest. I tend to ship a few days after everyone else. Mostly because I work long hours and don't always get to the post office. Otherwise based on rep. Like when I sent a Dusty to Thorn. I knew he would pay me when he got a chance so I was not worried.

BIGFAN
08-07-2004, 01:40 AM
bubba for me personnaly it comes down to this

i own a store so automatically i run into more than my fair share of non shippers non payers etc

i just cant waste all that time keeping track of it all

you send then i send..keeps me on track and assures i dont get robbed

see i cant keep track of all my deals after i ship out lol

so i make sure i have my end covered by waiting for what im trading for or buying even

but for the most part is for my safety. i have earned my rep by always coming through in the end. if a person wont send first then the deal is over. if they dont trust me after reading the good posts then i dont need the headache involved in the deal. that simple.

thats why rep is so big. thats the only recourse most people see online so thats what we stand on.

there are always those that i deal with who i send first even if the details of the deal havent been finalized lol but if its a new person or even a second deal i send last.

Goldbug
08-07-2004, 01:51 AM
I usually ask newcomers to ship first.
I also check to see how long the person I'm trading with has been around.
Everyone that's replied so far to this post I recognize as being yoejoe veterans & I would send the same time.
If I've traded with you before I have no problem in sending first. That's how I would rationalize my trading habits.

My Generation Toys
08-07-2004, 02:49 AM
bubba for me personnaly it comes down to this

i own a store so automatically i run into more than my fair share of non shippers non payers etc

i just cant waste all that time keeping track of it all

you send then i send..keeps me on track and assures i dont get robbed

see i cant keep track of all my deals after i ship out lol

so i make sure i have my end covered by waiting for what im trading for or buying even

but for the most part is for my safety. i have earned my rep by always coming through in the end. if a person wont send first then the deal is over. if they dont trust me after reading the good posts then i dont need the headache involved in the deal. that simple.

thats why rep is so big. thats the only recourse most people see online so thats what we stand on.

there are always those that i deal with who i send first even if the details of the deal havent been finalized lol but if its a new person or even a second deal i send last.

That's exactly how I see it. Although, I haven't had as many transactions as Curt, I stand by my reputation.

A while back, I think I may have offended a member by having him ship first. He has been a member longer than me, but I didn't recognize his name and have never dealt with him, so I had him ship first. It's just a protection.

Curt's right, if a member doesn't want to send first, then I won't deal with him/her. It's awkward sometimes, but it's necessary for me.

Bubba-J
08-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Curt, softassylum et al., thanks for the responses. I definately see some of the other sides to this conundrum that has been 'itching' me for some time
Thanks
j