Anyone buying these?????????? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Anyone buying these??????????

Spillspleen
08-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Just wondering...my local comic store is not bringing these in as they do not have any following here...I played the demo on-line...it was ok...!!

Has anybody tried this game yet in person??

Whats it like...how many doubles are you finding when buying...I wanted a case or two but I am afraid that i will end up with 50% doubles like all the other games out there!!!!

thebigzakbowski
08-07-2004, 02:34 AM
i havent found em yet myself

starrcommand
08-07-2004, 01:10 PM
cant say i am. Im not really interested in the card games. The only good one was MTG

Spillspleen
08-07-2004, 03:49 PM
I can not even find these...lol...I have not played any card games since DC over power...I would buy a starter and a few boosters if I could find them!!

tommysalo
08-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Two things work against new CCG games that hit the market place. The first is shop owners are very cautious when it comes to buying these thing do to the fact that if it doesn't take off, they are likely stuck with 3/4 of a booster box and 3/4 of a starter box. Even for the bigger shops, that translates into wasted money. A prime example of this is BUffy CCG. It failed, dispite a huge following of fans. One of the reason's for its failure was that not enough shops stocked the product. The second reason many ccg's are bound to fail even before they hit the shelves is that many buyers simply don't want to waste there money on a game that they may never get to play. Who really knows how many people in a certain are will start playing Joe CCG? Many people may be interested, few will actually take the plunge. The onlty sure fire way to sell sell this stuff is to promote the hell out of it. This means loads of freebee's, low cost starter decks, a tournament scene etc etc. I play Magic The Gathering heavely, so I'm familliar with how this stuff works. I can say for certain that we will be lucky to see an third expantion set of this stuff ome out. I've seen very little promotion done and have yet to see this stuff hit the area and no word of it every coming here. It's sad really, the GI Joe universe is pretty large so the card creators had loads of differnet characters, vehicles, story lines to work with. This game had the potential to stick and have a long run. But of course the powers that be couldn't learn from MTG or the Decipher products like ST and SW CCG. Those were and probably always be the the cream of the CCG crop. Thats my rant for the day, thanks for putting up with it.

Spillspleen
08-07-2004, 07:55 PM
All true...I would like to try it...did any of you guys try the demo??

dankelzaga
08-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Here is my rant---I'd love to play it but first of all you can't find it and it will most likely fail.
Case in point...the game was released today. I contacted my local gaming store on Tuesday and they said they would have it today. I have two sons that were eager to play (as well as their old man) so we loaded up the car with their allowance in hand and headed to the shop...
Some young kid who got barely tear himself away from his magic the gathering game asked if we needed help. "Hi, were here to pick up some of the New JOE game cards. We were told they would be in today by the owner"
The kid proceeds with "Oh Man, I bet that was what the UPS guy was delivering. We forgot to cut the delivery guy a check so we couldn't get the packages. You may want to check back next Wednesday"

Bah, there in one little situation the outcome of the JOE card game was set (not to mention the evidence of why all small retail businesses like that will eventually go out of business)

If someone does get ahold of it drop me a line as I'm anxious to know if they think a seven and 12 year old can handle it.

JustinBarnhill
08-13-2004, 04:43 PM
yep, same thing here...ive called every possible retailer in birmingham (the largest city in alabama) and none of them are stocking it. i called bookstores, kb, tru, local comic shops, baseball card shops, gaming shops - no one is carrying it.....yet. im hoping that they all change their tunes.

Spillspleen
08-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Well this might be good news for us actually...they made a certain amount...if they do not sell they will have to put them on sale...when they do I can get a few cases for real cheap...thats how I collected Overpower...all on sale...as low as 25 cents a booster and 1 dollar per starter...lol....!!!!

JustinBarnhill
08-17-2004, 07:44 AM
yeah! and then it can be cancelled!! :P

Druss
08-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Yup! If that happens the game will be dead and there won't be much of a point in buying it.

nightc1
08-17-2004, 10:44 AM
I'll be honest here... I've avoided all the various card games through the last so many years. Just didn't interest me.

Today though I took the time to watch the online demo. Looks like it could be fun... and even if not now... maybe it'll be something I can get my oldest son into in a year or two.

So I looked at the online retailers.

Nothing.

None on Amazon/TRU... Walmart... KBToys/Etoys... nothing. The GI Joe sites advertised here.... nothing.

I wasn't looking to buy right away or anything just try to find out how much the starter set was going to cost. All in all... it sounded like a cool game. I see that the release date wasn't that long ago. Also, Walmarts around here have been liquidating Joe stuff in turn to make room for the next wave of figures and stuff. Anyway, maybe when the other stuff hits the shelves they'll be putting the card game out too. I"m not sure I'll buy it ... but it seems like it could be fun... even if I only ever play it with my kids.

Does anyone know the price of this thing? Also any online retailers that might have it?

nightc1
08-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Well I answered my own question it seems...

http://smalljoes.com/gijoe_books_publications.shtml

Has the starter kit for $9.99, booster packs for $3.49, and a Sealed box of booster packs for $79.99.

I may order the starter kit at some point along with two or three booster packs... but that's about all the investment I'm considering for these things right now.

Still, the card game seems fun. Maybe, with the starter set, I can get my brother interested in giving it a try.

This though, would be cool to have as an internet game or atleast a standalone computer game to play against the computer. With the internet atleast the ability to play anyone world wide seems like it could be fun. I'm not sure the Joe's have enough younger fans to get this going and I can see why small comic shops aren't going to invest in it.

Still for $10 to get started... that doesn't seem so bad to me.

thebigzakbowski
08-17-2004, 03:38 PM
none of my local comic stores will be carrying it :(

Two_Fisted
08-19-2004, 07:30 PM
I bought a starter set and a box of boosters and I really liked the game! I bought into the Magic craze all those years ago when they first came out and I got turned off on magic really fast because the game was brand new and alot of the rules were vague and I'd end upp arguing over how to play. This game was really easy to learn and I was playing in 5 minutes. I like that the cards are fairly simple to use. I'd expect the later expansion sets to get more involved later...but for now....the game is fun and not too cerebral. i also like that the cards have multiple functions so the card set isnt too big. Its just a fun little card game that you can get into. I also bought the DC Comics VS System game and I like the Joe game better.

Vin Zador
08-19-2004, 11:10 PM
No, no, no. Everybody run over to CCG Armory http://ccgarmory.com/gijoeccg.html
Starters are $7.25 and packs are 2.49, they have very reasonable shipping charges as well. Save a buck if you order a booster box of 24. They also have singles.

This game looks to have solid mechanics.

And an FYI for anyone interested, in the very near future I'm post links to a program and plugin to play GI TCG online WITH GRAPHICS. For free. Still in the works though, will keep you all posted.

nightc1
08-20-2004, 08:54 AM
I noticed CCG Armory's prices later that same day after I noticed smalljoes was selling the stuff as well. I'm going to check out a few comic shops first... but if I can't find it locally I'll give CCG Armory a shot :D

The Robfather
08-21-2004, 09:36 PM
I almost ordered from smalljoes, but thankfully I saw the other site prices.

Smalljoes is charging too much, imo.

nightc1
08-25-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't mind smalljoes prices. That's fair market value... however CCG Armory having those lower than retail prices on the stuff got my purchase.

I bought a Starter Set, 4 Boosters, and went ahead and for the pretty nice price of basicly $8 got the Uncommon Set :D

Not bad at all... $28.53 total with media mail shipping and all :D

Now just gotta wait the wait.