Question about MOC Snake Eyes Figures [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Question about MOC Snake Eyes Figures

canuckjoefan
03-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Hey Everyone! Just joined, and I thought I would ask this question here. I am looking to buy the first couple of versions of Snake Eyes (my absolute favorite figure of all time), starting with the 1982/83 version, then the 1985 one.

I know this is a VERY general question, but how much should I be paying for these figures, and what is considered the most desirable rating on a figure? I'm a total newbie to this stuff, and I just don't want to overpay.

I've noticed there's a 1983 Snake Eyes on eBay (I think), that's rated at a 70(?), and the seller's asking $1000, OBO, for it. I'm assuming that the figure is rare-ish, but is this out of reason? My hunch is yes, but I don't know how many of these are floating around.

Thanks in advance!

canuckjoefan
03-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Alright. So, this is a figure I'm looking at getting. I am at a loss, however, at knowing where to start with this one. Now, from what I've read, 60 is at the lower end of the AFA grading scale, and is not the most desirable rating for the packaging. However, this is most definitely one of the figures I would like to get for my collection. Any advice on where to start with this one? Bid on it? Skip it? And what does the "archival" tag mean? I haven't been able to figure out or find the meaning of that. I have a guess, but want to be sure. Thanks!

Here is the figure: 1982 G.I. JOE SNAKE EYES (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1982-G-I-JOE-SNAKE-EYES-AFA-Vintage-9-Back-Series-1-9-Archival-/200764381868?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item2ebe7d5aac&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_689)

I hope it's ok to post links here! Apologies if it is not! Let me know, and I'll edit my post if necessary!

Kronz
03-10-2013, 06:20 PM
You can save a lot of money if you find one that is not AFA graded. I think $1000 is pretty much the ballpark for this fella, and rarer versions double, triple or more (international cards, basically). Personally I think you would be fine with a straight arm, as that's the genuine "rookie" version. An 83 edition would be ideal for loose complete display thanks to his arms. Granted, this sort of thing is out of my depth, I just watch in awe at the prices these items command, and try to not think of taking him in the sandbox back in 1982.

canuckjoefan
03-10-2013, 08:09 PM
You can save a lot of money if you find one that is not AFA graded. I think $1000 is pretty much the ballpark for this fella, and rarer versions double, triple or more (international cards, basically). Personally I think you would be fine with a straight arm, as that's the genuine "rookie" version. An 83 edition would be ideal for loose complete display thanks to his arms. Granted, this sort of thing is out of my depth, I just watch in awe at the prices these items command, and try to not think of taking him in the sandbox back in 1982.

Haha! Good to know! I know, it's kinda hard to think about all the joes that are worth so much now that just got so much wear, huh?! I still have that original Grunt that I got as a gift, but it's in bad shape (broken thumbs, loose legs, arms, screw is rusty).

This Snake Eyes would be quite the centrepiece, though!

I may have to check out the 1983 straight arm. From what you say, that sounds like a good route also!

grunt 4 mvp
03-13-2013, 05:06 PM
It all depends on how much you value the card art. If you really want one on the card then you should be shooting less than $1000, but several hundred. You will pay based on the condition (rips tears etc.) on the card itself.
Be patient and you can certainly get one for less than 1000. Look for a card with a fold in it or a torn hanger, that hasn't been AFA graded, and you can eventually get a good deal on one that is still worthy of display.
You could always save hundreds and get a fullcard and a loose figure. I never really got MOC, personally. :)

GIJeff
03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
That's a bit pricy
i myself have snake eyes 82 straight arm version in excellent condition out of package
Ill part with for a lot less $80
have file card

FireFox91
03-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Something to consider is that AFA stuff is always more expensive. You are paying for getting that "professional" grading. But really, does the grading matter to you? Or do you just want a nice presentable MOC figure? I recommend avoiding the AFA stuff, make your own judgement con condition, and save a lot of money. And if you are considering an AFA60, then you can clearly save a ton of money on other MOC figures. I have bought a lot of 1980s carded GIJoe figures that have some rough areas for pretty cheap. I even got several for $2.00 a piece but that was a really, really lucky find. Still, it isn't unusual to get some for as little as $20. These are later 80s figures but still in that zone that most of us love. Heck I got a MOC 86 Vipers for $60. The card was a little rough, but you can hardly see that hanging on a wall.

Finally, if you really just want a display of MOC 80s figures and don't really care about them being factory carded, check out Beggar's Canyon Toys (http://www.beggarscanyontoys.com). They sell reproduction cards and bubbles. You can recard your own figures. I did this with several and they look great.