I've Cloned a Viper! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : I've Cloned a Viper!

Joeczar
08-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Here's a picture of my latest creation, a Clone Viper. Every part of him except for his arms were molded and casted using an Alumilite Super Casting kit. His arms are from Blaster, I decided the arms are too difficult to make. He is fully articulated and is the first of many Vipers I plan on making. Before anyone askes, no, I will not be selling these Vipers, but witha casting kit you can make figures like this and more. I've made replacement parts and equipment that are almost exact doubles of the original. If you have a question about casting, drop me a line. Now all I have to do is decide how to paint him!

http://www.nextgreatadventure.com/frankenvier.jpg

Soon my Clone Vipers will rule the world!!!!

curmudgeon
08-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Very, very cool. Too bad I'm too lazy to do all that!

amphigory
08-08-2004, 11:10 PM
i see you use the alumilite.
how do you like the feel of the plastic?
is it more or less flexible than the real deal?
have you tried the smooth-on or similar products?
what product did you use for the mold itself?
was it a silicone rubber product?

thanks

Obiwanjacoby
08-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Great job.

How much was the kit?

How many figs does it turn out?

And what's the cost-per-figure ratio?

What do you plan on using for weapons/accessories?

Wonder if Mirage arms would work with that. . .(never mind, the Blaster arms look better, might be just as cheap to obtain too) you might really be onto something :cool:

-PJ

Joeczar
08-09-2004, 01:00 AM
Great questions! Let me try to run them down:

The Alumilite works great! The time from mixing the two parts to the finshed product is about 15 minutes, with about 45 seconds to a minute of working time. When crued, it has the look and feel of regular plastic, you can cut it, sand it, paint it, etc. It's more like the old joe plastic and is not flexible when cured, although it is malleable for a few minutes.

This has been the only Alumilite product I have used so far, and I use the latex quick set mold maker. You can have a finished mold in about 6 hours with no damage at all to your original.

The kit I bought was around $70, but you can get started with just the mold maker and resin for about $60. Complete instructions on mold making can be found at www.alumilite.com .

This is the first complete figure I've done, but I would say the cost per casting a Joe sized piece to be about 20 cents. I've done a lot of casting and I'm still one my first bottles of resin. The mold maker goes quicker, so be conservative on how big you make your molds. I would guess a 28 oz supply of resin (2 14oz bottles of A&B parts) would yield at least 20 Vipers sans arms (I agree- I really like the Blaster arms for this). The resin is about $30, so it's a little over a dollar a viper. I plan on outfitting him with resin rifles and backpacks.

I would encourage anyone to try this, it's a great way to go if you are a customizer!

thorn
08-09-2004, 12:09 PM
totally rad- thanks for all the info!

GBPackRat
08-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Wow this is really cool,

I don't have the time nor the money to get into this now in my life (college), but if you could send me your contact information via e-mail at [email protected], I would like to store your info. and get back to you on all of this when the timing is right.

Tanner

kgoodyboy
08-12-2004, 07:18 AM
do you know if theres anywhere on the internet to get an aluminite casting kit? The closest one on there is like 20 miles away from me.

Joeczar
08-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Try these:

www.eastwoodco.com

www.hobbyengineering.com

I've ordered from both, and they have good service and shipping.

diamondblackfan
08-13-2004, 03:13 AM
Joeczar,

I went to the Hobby Engineering website http://www.hobbyengineering.com/SectionBM.html. There were quite a few different sets and plastic/resin/rubber materials.

Did you purchase the Alumilite Super Casting Kit?

Which "Mold Making Material" was used?

Have you been using the Alumilite Regular Casting Resin?

Thanks! The many different sets were confusing...

Serpentor II
08-15-2004, 10:43 AM
I wonder would this work well in making bomb and missle replacements?

Joeczar
08-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Joeczar,

I went to the Hobby Engineering website http://www.hobbyengineering.com/SectionBM.html. There were quite a few different sets and plastic/resin/rubber materials.

Did you purchase the Alumilite Super Casting Kit?

Which "Mold Making Material" was used?

Have you been using the Alumilite Regular Casting Resin?

Thanks! The many different sets were confusing...

I bought the Super Casting Kit, which has the Latex Quick set mold maker and the regular casting resin. There are also dyes available to change the color of the resin for fleshtones, red, black, blue, etc. The only resin I would avoid is the water clear resin. It doesn't set very good and is tacky, stay away! The mold making and casting is pretty foolproof, and the results are great!

crimson tide
08-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Very interesting!! I could only dream of being so talented!!:D

diamondblackfan
08-17-2004, 03:03 AM
I bought the Super Casting Kit, which has the Latex Quick set mold maker and the regular casting resin. There are also dyes available to change the color of the resin for fleshtones, red, black, blue, etc. The only resin I would avoid is the water clear resin. It doesn't set very good and is tacky, stay away! The mold making and casting is pretty foolproof, and the results are great!

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. And thank you for the advice. I shall stay away from clear water resin. :-)

chad_ghost
08-17-2004, 04:10 PM
how did you mold the waist. of all the pieces the waist perplexes me the most. let me know, it would be a great deal of help for me. thanks,

Joeczar
08-17-2004, 11:00 PM
What I did for the waist was take a bit of modeling clay and put it in the center of the waist and form it to the crotch piece so the entire waist is one solid piece, then I made the mold. Once a piece was cast I took my Dremel tool with a grinder tip and hollowed out the center piece and crotch so it ended up looking like a regular waist. I went this road because I thought the crotch woul break off easily. So far it seems to work good.

chad_ghost
08-19-2004, 08:39 AM
What I did for the waist was take a bit of modeling clay and put it in the center of the waist and form it to the crotch piece so the entire waist is one solid piece, then I made the mold. Once a piece was cast I took my Dremel tool with a grinder tip and hollowed out the center piece and crotch so it ended up looking like a regular waist. I went this road because I thought the crotch woul break off easily. So far it seems to work good.

cool. thanks, ill have to try this.