Resealed Cards w/figure Question [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Resealed Cards w/figure Question

canuckjoefan
03-24-2013, 02:35 PM
So, just saw a cool auction on eBay. The seller had 5 Resealed figures on cards for sale (Snake Eyes 83, Destro 83, Storm Shadow 84 I think, Cobra Commander 83 not sure, Destro 83, and Firefly 84). They looked great, but sadly, he didn't ship to Canada (according to his listing). I emailed him with about 15 minutes or so to go, but didn't hear back from him. Shoulda probably just bid on these anyhow. :(

My question is this: Are the Resealed cards/figures worth anything? I mean, I know the figures themselves are worth something, obviously, but what is the general consensus about reseals? Does the reseal add any value...does the card add anything?

I was just curious about this, thought this was the place to ask!

Kronz
03-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Those are just for a nice way to display them, they don't really compare to MOC copies. There is a website that sells the cards and bubbles for something like 12-15 each so you can do them yourself if you have the figure. I would suggest not buying these sort of items on ebay, and collecting loose, and deciding later if you want to reseal them for display. Since the cards and bubbles are (likely) replicas, they are really never going to be worth anything other than the aesthetic value of being able to hang them on the wall. I'd also be wary of what condition resealed figures are in too, you never know what someone might be passing off.

On the off chance that someone is resealing original cards, they are just ruining cardbacks, if you ask me.

here is a store offering high quality Joe cardbacks for restoration: http://www.beggarscanyontoys.com/category/g-i-joe-cardback-resto-kits/catId=4133251

canuckjoefan
03-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Those are just for a nice way to display them, they don't really compare to MOC copies. There is a website that sells the cards and bubbles for something like 12-15 each so you can do them yourself if you have the figure. I would suggest not buying these sort of items on ebay, and collecting loose, and deciding later if you want to reseal them for display. Since the cards and bubbles are (likely) replicas, they are really never going to be worth anything other than the aesthetic value of being able to hang them on the wall. I'd also be wary of what condition resealed figures are in too, you never know what someone might be passing off.

On the off chance that someone is resealing original cards, they are just ruining cardbacks, if you ask me.

here is a store offering high quality Joe cardbacks for restoration: Beggar's Canyon Toys : G.I. Joe Cardback Resto Kits (http://www.beggarscanyontoys.com/category/g-i-joe-cardback-resto-kits/catId=4133251)

That's sort of what I suspected. Thanks!

FireFox91
03-30-2013, 10:41 AM
We have a running thread on Hisstank about doing the recarding figures to the reproduction cardbacks. Take a look, lots of pictures.

The Vintage Restoration Carding Thread - HissTank.com - G.I. Joe (http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-toys-vintage-discussion/314913-vintage-restoration-carding-thread.html)

I disagree with Kronz that they don't compare. I think that if they didn't compare, there wouldn't be any appeal to them. They do look really nice. Now there is a different feeling behind having an original MOC figure from the 80s vs. a reproduction. That is clearly the preference of the collector. I have a good sized MOC collection now. Most are original, many are reproduction. I love them both for the way they look. But the originals are more gratifying because of their age and the expense to get them.

Whether or not you want to by recarded figures on reproduction card from ebay is entirely up to you. I can tell you from personal experience that it is cheaper and more gratifying to recard them yourself. Repro cards will never fetch as much money as original MOC figures. Not unless someone lies about it in their listing. Fortunately these cards say "reproduction packaging" on the back to help people know what they are getting. So if you are doing these for resale, you won't make much money if any at all. But for your personal collection, they are a good substitute for the real thing.

canuckjoefan
03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
We have a running thread on Hisstank about doing the recarding figures to the reproduction cardbacks. Take a look, lots of pictures.

The Vintage Restoration Carding Thread - HissTank.com - G.I. Joe (http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-toys-vintage-discussion/314913-vintage-restoration-carding-thread.html)

I disagree with Kronz that they don't compare. I think that if they didn't compare, there wouldn't be any appeal to them. They do look really nice. Now there is a different feeling behind having an original MOC figure from the 80s vs. a reproduction. That is clearly the preference of the collector. I have a good sized MOC collection now. Most are original, many are reproduction. I love them both for the way they look. But the originals are more gratifying because of their age and the expense to get them.

Whether or not you want to by recarded figures on reproduction card from ebay is entirely up to you. I can tell you from personal experience that it is cheaper and more gratifying to recard them yourself. Repro cards will never fetch as much money as original MOC figures. Not unless someone lies about it in their listing. Fortunately these cards say "reproduction packaging" on the back to help people know what they are getting. So if you are doing these for resale, you won't make much money if any at all. But for your personal collection, they are a good substitute for the real thing.

Hmmm...also good info, Firefox, thanks! These would be for display only, in my personal collection. Lots to think about with these, it seems. On one hand, I would LOVE to have MOC stuff, but on the other hand, this is much more economical. Thanks for the alternate perspective!

Kronz
03-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Well I mean, visually of course they compare, I just meant to me as a collector the appeal is not comparable. If a figure's been freed from his retail packaging, I don't feel I'd enjoy having him sealed back up. I thought the 25th packaging was a good compromise for the classic art feel for MOC and I'd rather go that route than reseal my vintage figures. If it works for you and looks good on the wall, by all means go for it. Still I would highly discourage buying figures that were already resealed, doing it yourself seems like a much better idea. So on a purely aesthetic level I think it's a nice notion, but I do not believe it adds any value to the MLC specimen, other than the price of the repro card. I prefer loose figures so I can play with them, and would only keep vintage figures MOC because of their exponential value and historical significance.

FireFox91
03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
I thought the 25th packaging was a good compromise for the classic art feel for MOC and I'd rather go that route than reseal my vintage figures.

When the 25th line first hit, I thought exactly that way. I was getting figures to put them on the wall for display and not to open. But after spending a lot of money I realized I got caught up in the excitement of the current line. Fact was, I didn't like the 25th style figures. And then I noticed that the art was good, but it wasn't always quite right. Sometimes the colors were off, and the ones that had the silver backing really didn't do the art justice. I dumped all of those carded 25th figures and started focusing on vintage MOC and the reproduction cards. I enjoy them so much more.

Kronz
03-31-2013, 11:40 PM
I am feeling similarly towards 25th stuff myself. Once it really caught on and a very large percentage of the toys became store, club, convention etc exclusives and waves continually got short run or cancelled and liquidated I just threw my hands in the air and gave up. I really don't mind the new figures (I have like five hundred of them), I just don't like the idea of chasing a dragon I will never catch without thousands and thousands of dollars and constantly traveling and wheel/dealing just to keep up with them. I wish I'd never collected any of the new stuff other than the vehicles (which I do love, generally speaking). Anyways that's nothing to do with the topic but I am just putting out there that I totally get why you switched gears back to vintage.

Cupra Enemigo
04-02-2013, 04:58 PM
For me repro cards sucks, but original cards with itīs original bubbles resealed are almost the same than the sealed ones. In the case I would have the chance to choice between a factory sealed Storm Shadow for $500 against a well done resealed Storm Shadow for $50, I would go sure for the resealed one. The only difference is who put the glue, and honestly, at least for me, that donīt worth $450...

vadersquest
04-11-2013, 05:43 PM
I might try few just to see how they look. Much cheaper than trying to buy a MOC example. Plus this might be a good way to keep those mint loose figures dust free.

Black Llama
04-11-2013, 08:08 PM
The only thing to be careful of is these resealed cards magically becoming factory sealed of the secondary market.....

Delorean
09-06-2013, 05:07 AM
A resealed figure, whether resealed on an original or reproduction card is worth no more than the value of the loose figure. Just my opinion.

FireFox91
09-07-2013, 10:46 AM
A resealed figure, whether resealed on an original or reproduction card is worth no more than the value of the loose figure. Just my opinion.

I don't agree. The repro cardbacks being put out are really nice quality. With a original mint figure mounted on that card, it displays very nicely. And those cardbacks cost around $11 themselves. I will agree that the value of a recarded figure is no where near the value of an original MOC figure. But a lot of people have sold recarded figures on ebay, and specified they were a repro card, and got more money for it than the loose figure by itself. Value isn't a concern to me anyway, I am not collecting them as an investment. I like the way they look and display. That is why I get original MOC and reproduction cardbacks for my collection.