New Intl Snake Eyes Variant ? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : New Intl Snake Eyes Variant ?

Tattoo Shane
08-10-2004, 01:22 PM
I don't know if i'll get much of a response here but i wanted to post this to both share it with everyone and to see if anyone had heard of it before or shed some insight.

I was recently in Mexico City at the big Star Wars con and found some interesting Joe stuff while there. There most exciting piece i found was this Snake Eyes:
http://www.tattoosandtoys.com/images_yours/MexSEVariant01.jpg
http://www.tattoosandtoys.com/images_yours/MexSEVariant02.jpg

I have never seen or heard of one with a silver visor nor have any of the people i've talked to since. Now, this isn't some custom paint job slapped on by some kid. It's definately a factory paint job and it's very fragile much like the silver logos found on other foreign and domestic figures.

My personal theories are that it's either a new variant that has yet to be discovered or it's some kind of unused test idea that Auriken tried and decided against. It's more likely that it's the former but until a carded or boxed one turns up, it's hard to say. One reason why i think it might be the latter is because the seller or a close acquaintance to, had several factory overstock body parts from Auriken so these pieces can be traced directly to the factory. These were some of the other pieces i found:
http://www.tattoosandtoys.com/images_yours/Dsc01051.jpg
http://www.tattoosandtoys.com/images_yours/MexScarlettOverstock.jpg

Any ideas? Thoughts?

themoney75
08-10-2004, 04:49 PM
nice finds what did you pay for that stuff?i wish i could help a little but i am lost also.

My Generation Toys
08-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Shane,

Let me say this...

I have a Mexican Snake Eyes that I bought in Mexico when I was younger. I bought it at Aurrera (department store like JC Penny) I vividly remember seeing 4 different figures there. Destro, Stormy and both versions of Snake Eyes. I thought the silver version looked dumb, so I bought the regular version.

They were both packaged in the same 1985 Art Box and neither had Timber. I looked closely at both versions hoping that Timber would be included in the either version, but it wasn't.

They were stocked in three rows and there must have been 5-8 of each figure on the shelves.

I vividly remeber this because I was shocked to see GIJoe in Mexico. I was born and raised in the US, but every year my family would go to Mexico during Christmas to visit my grandparents.

Each year, I would buy Star Wars stuff... Lily Ledy. Each year I wondered if GIJoe would ever be available there and when I saw them I was surprised and excited.

So to answer your question, it is a variant that no one will believe until there is a scan of one that is in a sealed... but it does exist.

frenchy
08-10-2004, 05:34 PM
I definately think you have a variation. There is probably many more of these out there. Anybody have one?

L'Ombrageux
08-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Very interesting, but didn't the mexican figures had shoulder rivets put from the back to front? Also, it's not clear on the pic but the 2 shoulder rivets seems to be different? Is it the case?

My Generation Toys
08-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Very interesting, but didn't the mexican figures had shoulder rivets put from the back to front? Also, it's not clear on the pic but the 2 shoulder rivets seems to be different? Is it the case?

The shoulder rivets were inserted correctly just like the US version.

The difference in the rivets material is that the metal is much more dull than the US version.

Tattoo Shane
08-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Damn! Sigfrido, that's exactly the kind of info i was hoping for! Thanks man...here's hoping a boxed one turns up one of these days but for now, this is enough to go on for me. :)

L'Ombrageux, the two shoulder rivets are slightly differnt...it actually shows up more in the pics than it does in person but i don't think that's a big deal...Auirken probably didn't have the best materials and they just used what they had.

TURNA
09-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Hey Shane wanna sell the Flash head? If you do email me at [email protected]

Navajo
09-03-2004, 07:48 PM
I keep looking at this thread, but man...I can't get over how cool those heads are. Man, I wish I could find a score like that. Wicked...what more to say?

jabba the drunk
09-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Allright! Shane, congrats on getting some validation for this brand new international Snake Eyes variant!!! :)

Man, I have to admit that when I started reading the post, I thought "Shane's probabaly not going to get the info he's after here on yojoe (especiall after no solid responses on internationaljoes,etc.)". But, sure enough...a great response from softassylum. I got pretty jazzed while reading that response.

Again, congratulations! Next step, pics. ;)

And I don't think Shane will be parting with those ultra-rare heads.

-Peter

Pete The Greek
09-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Looks legit to me. Then again if I am in Edmonton again, I may stop by and take a look at it first hand.lol

Tattoo Shane
09-08-2004, 09:56 PM
You're more than welcome to come over again anytime Pete! :)

The heads i got are definately nice but a few more than those were uncovered. ;) If anyone is interested in them, drop me a line and i'll put you in touch with a friend who picked up several more and is looking to sell.

wild weasel tank buster
09-02-2013, 12:43 AM
anybody have a pic of this supposed variant?