Wild Bill variation [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Wild Bill variation

collecter715
08-11-2004, 08:09 PM
It says there is no variation of the 83 wild bill but I have one with blond hair and mustache he also has a diffrent green outfit.I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

Aaron
08-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Have a pic or scan of it? Not much we can do for you w/o having a better idea of what he looks like.

collecter715
08-11-2004, 08:58 PM
I will try to get one up soon.

AVAC
08-12-2004, 12:40 AM
I also have two different Wild Bill figures (paint varies on the two) and would be happy to dig them up and send a picture your way for comparison. I submitted a picture a long time ago to yojoe, but I am guessing the powers that be figured they were not a variation, just how time affected one over the other. Anyway if you are interested just LMK.

The Real Destro
08-12-2004, 11:07 AM
When I first read this topic that was my guess.. that it was caused by time.. But if there is really a var. for this one then please share the pic.

collecter715
08-12-2004, 08:10 PM
AVAC I dont have a dig cam if you can find yours can you put a pic up please.

frenchy
08-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Is it just a little different in the paint color?

AVAC
08-13-2004, 01:45 AM
The difference is in the paint color. I thought I still had a picture on my computer, but no luck. I will snap a shot of them again in the next two days and see about posting it.

AlternateUniverse Steeler
08-15-2004, 01:25 AM
i had the two as a kid. i remember them but would like to see them again

AVAC
08-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Ok here is a picture of the two of them together.

Aaron
08-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Now that you post that pic, I recall seeing different colored ones like that on eBay. I guess if your WB's lower arms match his upper arms, then you've got the light green version.

notpicard
08-16-2004, 12:36 AM
Nice scan. I don't recall my Wild Bill ever looking anything like th eone on the left. What do the date and country stamps say on these figures?

AVAC
08-16-2004, 12:48 AM
Both say Made in Hong Kong on the back of their buttocks and c 1983 Hasbro on the inner side of the left leg. The main differences are the the one on the left side of the photo is a lighter green color, his hair is a brighter orange/brown, his hat is brighter blue, the part of his shirt you see is a creme color, and his vest is a brighter color of brown. The other one on the right side of the photo is a darker or duller green color, his hair is a duller orange/brown color, his hat is darker blue, the part of his shirt you see is white, and his vest is darker brown.

Obiwanjacoby
08-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Now that I'm looking at the entire figure, it looks like the one on the right is just faded due to sun or playwear. Compare the boots, holsters, vest, and his chest. All lighter on the right.

-PJ

AVAC
08-16-2004, 08:32 PM
I would think that as well, but what I believe makes the case is the part of the chest where his shirt shows through is white as white can be and not yellowed on the figure on the right. The figure on the left, his shirt part is creme. Both of those parts are not faded, just the original color. Plus usually with fading it isn't so nice and symetrical looking. Usually a part here or there is out of the sun and doesn't fade or parts fade inconsistantly. These guys I have had from day one and like a few others have stated, they remember the two variants. I am sure someone else has one or the other or both of these guys as well. Can someone else post pics of their Wild Bill for comparison?

Aaron
08-16-2004, 09:12 PM
I got on eBay and found these two auctions. Both of them have the lighter WB version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2467&item=5914869900&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2467&item=5914819377&rd=1

Compare there with the WB pic at yojoe. http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/83images/wildbill.jpg

AVAC
08-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Does anyone else have ideas, thoughts, pictures, ect on this issue? Just curious what the masses and/or yojoe staff think.

frenchy
08-17-2004, 09:08 PM
It appears to be a legit varaition to me.

AVAC
08-19-2004, 10:53 PM
So I guess now the question goes to the powers that be here at yojoe. Variant or no variant? I believe it is a legit variant. Please let me know what the powers that be feel overall. Also, feel free to use the pictures in the archieve. If you want different pictures just let me know.

yo-man2
08-19-2004, 10:59 PM
not enough of a variation for me to worry about....but if thats your thing go for it.........now if he was in a zebra tuxedo then i would have to track one down

Duke Misterioso
08-20-2004, 05:24 PM
ahh ist true i search in my collection and Wild Bill
get this variations in colors!

Obiwanjacoby
08-21-2004, 01:11 PM
And I'm not just trying to be a contrarian just to "look cool" or anything. I just want to see more homework done before it's declared a true variant. This kind of thing drives completists nuts, because they're not sure whether to make the extra effort to chase this one down. . .or not. :confused:

Case in point: There's another early Joe with a situation similar to this Wild Bill candidate. And that's the light camo Stalker v.1 & the darker camo variant.

Oddly enough, this isn't listed in the YoJoe archives. But it is listed in the Lee's Guide to GIJoe. Furthermore, if you ask around there are several collectors out there that can verify this variant with pictures of their own.

What's my point? The Wild Bill variant candidate should be easier to verify than this!!! This thread's just spinning it's wheels. IMO, variants like this shouldn't be all that rare either. In order to make it "official", there should be at least three collectors out there able to provide comparative pics.

If you want to really make it a true variant, don't leave it hanging as a rumor. Nail it shut with some hard evidence from more than one source.

-PJ

notpicard
08-21-2004, 01:39 PM
I'd really like to see if we can get this one verified. Like I already said, I don't recall my Wild Bill being that light when I got him new. So my feeling is that this one is real. But with any variation, I like to get some more evidence before adding it.

The trouble with adding or not adding what people find is that I know it is discouraging to find something and not have it added right away. But with the number of items that have traded hands internationally at this point, I find Action Force stuff at flea markets where the guys swear they have only bought domestic.

So when a new variation pops up, the thing we need to do is to make sure it is not an international version or a production error.

Do you happen to know where you got the lighter Wild Bill?

Another thing that makes me inclined to believe it is real is the fact that Covergirl, another vehicle driver from the same year, definitely has a light/dark variation.

But I would be surprised if no one else has this Wild Bill if that is the case.

AVAC
08-21-2004, 09:00 PM
I completely agree that this needs to be verified. I also hate to add another variation to the pot for those people that have to have every version of something out there, but at the same time a variant is a variant. At any rate I have had both of these guys from day one, so I can say they were bought in the USA. As a kid I never paid attention to variations and the such, but being older and looking at things now I have found some variations not realizing I had them (some of which are listed variants, some of which are not listed). Hence the 3 different 1983 Duke figures I have that are not listed variants (this has been posted and talked about as well). I was hoping some other people could post pics of their Wild Bill figures as well so we can get a good comparison and as Obiwanjacoby said, lets "Nail it shut with some hard evidence from more than one source".