How to store comics ? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : How to store comics ?

Lt.foxhound
08-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Ok I have some special missons + re-issue no's.2 & 3 from the 3pks.
Whats the best way to store them? I'd like pages that fit in a ring binder
But they probably dont make them. what do you guys reccomend?

Thanks,
Grant

Jeff Bohn
08-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Yes, they do make comic pages that can be stored in a binder, like these...

http://www.the2buds.com/supg1f.htm

Any comic store is probably able to order something like that if they don't have them.

nightc1
08-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Also, just as important as a bag to store each comic... invest in some acid-free comic backing board (available at every comic store). It'll add regidity and protect each comic from bends and whatnot.

Don't just use cardboard... it'll actually work to age the comics... get the good stuff. It's pretty inexpensive.

IF you plan on adding many comics to your collection, the best (IMO) way to store comics is with the standard Polypropylene comic bags coupled with the comic backing board and all the protected comics stored in a cardboard comic box (available at pretty much every comic shop). You'll have something that'll completely protect the comics... and make em easy to sort through. Also boxes come in several sizes... so you could get a small box which might last a while (or forever if you don't outgrow it) and take up little space rather than just jumping in with the biggest boxes they make.

It's a good and very small investment IMO to protect comics. And the value I've found in going back and reading a 18 year old comic that I personally bought new ... bagged... boared... and stored in a comic box... has been fantastic as I'm reading back through those issues and finding that much of my original comics are still just as nice as the day I got em :)

gunless
08-13-2004, 01:57 PM
one other thing - to close the bags, use Scotch tape, not knockoff stuff. to save a few cents, you risk having the adhesive bleed out(like some of the old vehicle stickers do). It probably won't damage your comics, but it's annoying when you bags are stuck together or your fingers get sticky from the adhesive.
also, don't get the self stick bags, they are crap!!!

action-figures.ca
08-13-2004, 02:41 PM
I find the frosted scotch tape works best. Its easy to unstick even after years of being sealed. I think it is used to wrap Christmas gifts.

dankelzaga
08-13-2004, 03:39 PM
For an extremely nice look for your comics and the absolute best storage method over time I'd recommend a few mylar sleeves. These can be found at most comic stores. They are quite rigid and an acid free backing board is actually optional with them. They make your comics look outstanding as they are crystal clear also. I realize people may say they are expensive (only about $1 apiece) but for a few comics you really like it is the best option.

nightc1
08-13-2004, 04:50 PM
I find the frosted scotch tape works best. Its easy to unstick even after years of being sealed. I think it is used to wrap Christmas gifts.
That's what I've used all along. Works pretty much the best and yeah even 20 years later it's only now that I'm having to replace afew pieces of tape.

A wise investment and it's only a couple bucks at most for a roll of scotch tape

I realize people may say they are expensive (only about $1 apiece) but for a few comics you really like it is the best option.
:eek: @ $1 a piece

You can buy a hundred pack of highquality acid free comic bags and 100 pack of acid free backing boards for $10. And that's using prices from the site Jeff posted above.

Lt.foxhound
08-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I'll order some comic bags & backers from the site Jeff has a link for.
( I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere; I.E. no comic shop :( )

I ordered special missions 1 & 2 from BIGFAN, I really like them, So I'm going to get all 28 (see what he started :D ) Plus a few choice others from the main line. Also getting the comic 3pks comics.

So I'll have a few.....

Thanks! Grant

BIGFAN
08-14-2004, 10:51 PM
i store my comics 2 per bag with a backing board in between. makes it firm in there with no shifting plus cuts down on cost!

i pack them numerically...i.e. 1 with 2 and 3 with 4 etc

i als store them in one of those comic storage boxes. works perfect....but i now need a second one with all these alternate covers etc lol

frozen_nd
08-15-2004, 02:00 AM
. .

thorn
08-15-2004, 02:42 AM
i can at least attest that those bags they tell you will leak acid onto the comics-
well 23 years later, my 300+ collection was/is fine. i would still go for the acid free bags if you can afford it, and the mylar is really the ultimate for display.

The inks on old comics can bleed through from one page to the next. Storing your older comics packed that tightly can cause the bleeding to occur.
this part i think i was lucky in part cuz they werent tight, and part cuz maybe most of mine were old already, plenty of time to dry thoroughly-
do you think that helps prevent that? or more- do you think by not reading them , putting htem right into storage may increase this ? either way the not packnig them too tight is good advice

Druss
08-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Yes Mylars are a lot more expensive then a regular Poly Bag but there is a reason for it. Mylars will not break down, the Mylar will outlast the Comic and you by quite a long shot where a Poly bag should be replaced every so often(5 years or so). Though most, myself included don't replace them that often.

I save Mylars for the expensivce stuff, I would never use it on a current comic, they're just not worth it. I collect Uncanny X-men and have a lot of my silver age ones in Mylars, for the old books its definetly worth it and the only way to go.

nightc1
08-16-2004, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't recommend Mylars to anyone collecting GI Joe comics unless they were looking to protect an issue 155 or something.

Polys work great, so far I've got some that are 20 years old and look still good as new, and in the end they only up the cost per comic of around $0.10 a piece.

Not bad at all... expecially when most of the Joe comics can be found for around $1 +/-.