Has any one read the preview to 33 yet? *Spoilers* [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Has any one read the preview to 33 yet? *Spoilers*

the joe bandit
08-13-2004, 10:27 PM
Does any one think that the preveiw is a dream or something. I cant imagine that they would kill off most of the Cobras, much less Storm Shadow. I am very curious to get this issue, I cant see them cutting the team down to 12 members. What does everyone else think?

Jeff Bohn
08-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Gotta be a dream.

seaneley
08-14-2004, 01:23 AM
Yeah, if this isn't an obvious dream, I'll eat my entire G.I. Joe collection... :(

Billy - The Cobra Son
08-18-2004, 03:12 PM
I think it's some kind of mental breakdown Hawk are on... but, who knows?

Will It be some kind of scheme?

Darko
08-18-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm guessing they're pulling a "There's No Place like Springfield"

Dominic Guglieme
08-18-2004, 06:16 PM
I read the issue. I have that, and some ruminations.

Highlight the blank areas if you want spoilers.

All in all, a disappointing day.

The best thing in this haul was the TF poster-book. Mostly recycled art. I admit, I bought it mostly for a few of the Don Figueroa pieces (especially that crouching Sunstorm from issue 6 of the comic). Grade: A (It is a poster-book, and all of the art seems poster worthy.)

Master and Apprentice did not ship today as it was supposed to.

GI Joe 33 was somethng of a dissappointment. The preview for next issue leads me to think there might be more, so for now the grade wavers between C/D. It promised much, and really did not deliver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue opens with Hawk blacking out after being shot last issue.

He awakens in a hospital to find Lady J, Duke and Flint at his bed-side. As it turns out, Hawk has been comatose for 8 weeks. Most of Cobras command element has been captured or killed, including Stormshadow. Hawk is paraplegic it seems.

The next scene is Hawk preparing for a speech, and sets up for the big dream-sequence reveal. Hawk hoists himself out of his wheelchair, and gives a speeck to a group of Joes that includes Stormshadow (in his urban combat gear).

After hallucinating that everyone in the hall is a corpse, Hawk decides to retire to live with a wife that we never knew he had.

Later, Hawk visits Cobra Commander in prison. (Bullets it seems do not carry the same weight they once did.) Cobra Commander taunts Hawk about who is really in prison, and steps out of the shadows to reveal he looks like Hawk.

Hawk awakens in his bed. The phone rings, and Hawk is informed that there is a chance to capture Zartan. His wife tries to convince him to stay, but to no avail. She turns into a cadaver, and Hawk wakes up again......

while he is being loaded onto a Medivac chopper, following being shot.

Later, Hawk is shown in what I assume is supposed to be the Bethesda, MD Naval Hospital (but not directly listed as such in the comic). He is paraplegic, but with a chance of this being reversed. Duke leaves a box of personal effects for Hawk. In that box is an old news clipping about a woman being killed in a car crash. It seems Hawk had a fiancee at one point. And, you guessed it, it was the woman from the dream.

The Wraith back-up was fun. Jerwa apparently had some extra pages and filled them with a standard tale. Destro II and Lillian are talking about Wraith to a non-desript group of arms dealers. It turns out the meeting is a trap to get all of said dealers (Destro's competitors mind you) into one place.....making them easy fodder for wraith.

I give the Hawk story a C/D, and the Wraith story a B.

Why the harsh review of the recent issue of GI Joe?

Simple. This issue promised a *big* event. An event. In this case, I assumed it would the death of Hawk.

Instead, we got a character study. I have nothing against character studies. I assume that there are 3 techniques for telling a story-

premise/concept: This means that the writer is using a set of characters in a given setting to articulate a case about a concept that exists independently of the story. This is actually my favorite method of narrative.

character driven: The story exists for the character and serves to establish or change something about them.

plot/event driven: Most comics are written along these lines. Big stuff happens every few issues. The current Transformers G1 series is a perfect example of this. Done well, this technique works. Done anything less than well, and you need to care about the property to be interested. Transformers G1 is a good example here. Every issue tries to be a huge event, and as a result nothing seems to matter.

While none of these techniques really disqualifies using the others, most stories tend to favor one over another.

This issue followed on a solid blend of concept and plot driven. But, this issue promised to be the big event with big changes. But, really, what got done? We got some insight into Hawk's past. But, that is it.

For all of the hype, this issue was just a wind-down, and, after last issue, a let down. I am not the kind of fan who demands high-body counts. But, I do appreciate follow through. This issue stopped short.

The biggest change, Hawk being paraplegic is framed so as to be temporary. Of course, the next *big* thing will likely be Hawk rising again.

If this was a basic character study, that would be fine.

Hopefully, this is just set up for some real payoff next issue. So, as I said, my grade is pending, but likely a C or a D.

Dominic Guglieme
08-23-2004, 01:25 PM
There was also foreshadowing that Hawk has some connection both to Zartan and Mindbender's plot, and to early Cobra ventures.

Chuplayer
08-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Yes, it was most definitely a dream. Where else would Ice Cream Soldier make an appearance? I was so happy to see him. He's one of my favorite 90s Joes. I have him standing next to my computer speakers. He's so cool! Neon orange, but cool!

Dreadnok4life
09-05-2004, 03:43 AM
Yes, it was most definitely a dream. Where else would Ice Cream Soldier make an appearance? I was so happy to see him. He's one of my favorite 90s Joes. I have him standing next to my computer speakers. He's so cool! Neon orange, but cool!

No disrespect here, but I never thought I'd hear someone say Ice Cream Soldier is one of his favorites. I sprayed a mouthful of Diet Pepsi all over my monitor. Actually I heard just prior to the Joe line being cancelled, Hasbro had planned to make Ice Cream Soldier the team leader of a Joe subset similar to Tiger Force or Night Force. It was going to be called Baskin Robbins Battalion (or better known as BS Battalion). The initial release had plans for characters to be named Rasberry Rifleman, Neopolitan Ninja, Cookies & Cream grenadier, and finally Vanilla Fudge who's file card stated his name was Jm J Bullock and his primary MOS was "Morale Officer". For some reason Duke version 1 was also going to be in the set. Hasbro even planned for a Cobra subset to fight the BS Battalion. This Cobra group was called the vegan vipers.

I read #33 and it blew. It was predictible. Now we get a Joe version of Professor X. Whoopie Do. Maybe Jerwa will have Snake Eyes grow adamantium (spelling?) claws next issue.