Anyone Else Go A Little Crazy Buying Sometimes??????? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Anyone Else Go A Little Crazy Buying Sometimes???????

MENTALMIKE81
06-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Recently, I had pondered giving up collecting and selling everything, due to the fact I was having a baby and money was slow. I hadn't traded or bought a figure in months. Now, I'm back on military orders, making good money with a very chill newborn baby. Over the last 2 weeks, I have been bidding on eBay nonstop trying to complete my collection. I am trying to complete the entire line up from 1982-1994. I've scored some superb lots and figures over the last few weeks, and the gaps are filling in nicely. The downside is that I have spent waaaaaaaaaaay too much money. I get carried away, and don't think about what my bank account is going to look like afterwards. I was wondering if anyone else puts themselves in the same scenario? I know I've spent some money, but the bills are paid, and I have scored some rare figures; i.e. Complete 94 Techno-Viper and Battle Mech, 93 Mail Away Deep Six Complete, 93 Nitro-Viper, 92 Air Devil, 92 Mail Away Ninja Viper w/ 1 sword, Steam Roller complete, Aero Viper, 85 Listen N Fun Tripwire, International Action Force, and many more. I also just won a lot today that had the 93 Create A Cobra in it. When I keep striking gold, it's hard too quit. It's a sickness.

rea1180
06-18-2013, 07:58 PM
I just bought a Terrordrome I definately did not have the expendable money for. Great buy but oh man was it a bad idea. A few years ago my wife won ebay joe auctions totalling $800 for me. Fortunately the seller took payments and I got some great stuff.

Super Sport
06-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Here's hoping youse' guys are enrolled in the Ebay Bucks (http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RewardsExtEnroll&CTASignup=false&ExtLanding=true) program.

MENTALMIKE81
06-18-2013, 08:04 PM
I may have to start using the billmelater option if I don't take a break from buying. My problem is that every time I hop on, one of the figures I need is up for auction. In my head, i set the max amount I'm comfortable spending, and don't go over that. I don't like buying just the individual figure, if I have the ability to score it in a lot.

MENTALMIKE81
06-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Here's hoping youse' guys are enrolled in the Ebay Bucks (http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RewardsExtEnroll&CTASignup=false&ExtLanding=true) program.

Seriously???? How have I not seen this?

Super Sport
06-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Seriously???? How have I not seen this?

I don't think they promote it enough or even at all. They're too busy pimping Bill Me Later.

tripwire
06-18-2013, 08:09 PM
I hadn't bought or looked at a Joe in years until this past January. I had an injury and during my recovery and the spare time I had, I needed a little boost to my spirit so I basically went Joe crazy and started going after 88-91 figures, filecards, vehicles, and paperwork. Up to that point I didn't have anything at all past 87. Haha, I need to cool it a bit (and by default I will anyway) but love what I added to the collection in the last few months.

When I first started recollecting back in 05, I was only looking to complete my 82-84 childhood collection. One day at a local toy showI found a Tomahawk for a great price and the floodgates opened. In a fairly short time span after that I added the bulk of 85-86. A few years later, I decided to add 87 and did so in another relatively short time span.

So to answer your question...YES! I tend to go in cycles like that, so maybe in a few years I will go after 92-94, haha. Not likely though since I barely have space for what I already have.

MENTALMIKE81
06-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Tripwire, my collection originally encompassed 83-91, with a few figures after that. I never really liked anything after 91, and that's about the time I quit playing with them as a kid. The last few lots I've won were filled with 92-94 figures, so I figured why not collect the whole line. The early 90's figures are going to be a pain to complete, due to the fact every figure had a ton of accessories.

tripwire
06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
I can totally relate. I stopped in 84 as a kid and never had any intention of getting anything past those years. However, once I found the Tomahawk, I figured "why not?" and started buying everything. I am glad I did though, there are so many great figures and vehicles from those later years.

I really probably won't ever get 92-94. My collection is in storage at the moment and I am not totally sure how I will be able to find display space for everything I have recently added. The shelving I used before to display everything was big enough for what I already had and it basically filled a small room. Ah..the common predicament of a collector

Good luck on your quest, I know it is a tough one

Tim F.
06-18-2013, 08:47 PM
I too decided to complete the 82-94 series and have spent and obscene amount these past few years. I only had the figures from 82-87 plus the night force and tiger force figures. Mike you are right about those 90's weapons. I only have 3 left to complete the series and they've been a huge pain to find. Hit me up if you need any accessories. I have quite a bit left over from the lots I've purchased.

spiderpumpkin
06-18-2013, 08:51 PM
I only have 3 left to complete the series and they've been a huge pain to find.

Which ones?

Tim F.
06-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Which ones?

1993 cyber viper armor mold
1994 shipwreck flipper
1993 targat missiles x2

So technically 4.

joenorth
06-18-2013, 09:36 PM
1994 shipwreck flipper
1993 targat missiles x2

So technically 4.

Strange, the Cyber Viper armour was one of the last pieces I needed to complete my collection too. I finally lucked out in an Ebay BIN :)

I thought as my collection filled out my buying would slow down, but I find I just move on to the more expensive items I need. I just can't pass up on great deals, especially if it was for a figure or weapon I had a hard time finding originally. I have great intentions of moving things along, but I end up hoarding the stuff because I'm too lazy to list it. Really, does any 1 human really need 11 Whirlwind computer/handle combos or 5 MCC crane hooks?

spiderpumpkin
06-18-2013, 09:58 PM
1994 shipwreck flipper
1993 targat missiles x2

So technically 4.

I hope you have luck with those. When it comes to finding things like that I usually dont't have the patience. I just end up buying a complete figure with the accessory or a MOC opener.

Celticjedi
06-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I slowed collecting way down for years and never really bought many vehicles. Then when I was deployed my collecting bug hit again. I had to have a Flagg, got an okay deal on one and have been going crazy hunting down theirs sing parts. I'm down the the usual rare parts, Fantail railing, mast cap, y-pins and Sound system.

I have also gone nuts with vehicles for the deck, I have 2 new sky strikers, 2 vintage SkyStrikers (one complete, one missing the Chutes), 3 sky hawks, 1 X30 Conquest and 1 complete Tomahawk.

MENTALMIKE81
06-19-2013, 05:52 PM
1994 shipwreck flipper
1993 targat missiles x2

So technically 4.

One of the lots I recently won had a complete 94 Shipwreck and 93 Targat. The lot contained about 15 complete92-94 figures, including the 94 Techno Viper and Battle Mech.

FireFox91
06-19-2013, 07:51 PM
See Mike? Aren't you glad you didn't sell your stuff? Of course now you are going the opposite direction and spending too much. I have certainly had plenty of times where I spent more than I wanted to. But I think I have been good at not going overboard thinking I had money to spare. It never fails, just as I get some extra cash to put away, something happens where I have to spend it again. I feel one of those moments coming up, I sure it doesn't come true. I want to set aside some cash to get the SDCC GIJoe set this year.

navy viper
06-20-2013, 06:11 AM
I recently got a auction with convention figures & vehicles in it , I got it because the winning bidder lived in Brazil & the seller wouldn't ship International. I was the winning bid with 4 hours to go ( early morning ending) so I thought for sure I would have a very good chance of winning it at the $90 it was at. I valued the auction around $175 & put my max in at $153.79 just in case someone was thinking along the same lines I was. I woke up ( I work 2/3 rd shift) & checked my email to see that dreaded "sorry you didnt win *****" so I just let it go at that . Then the next day I get a email from the seller giving me a 2nd chance at the auction for my max bid & I took it. My problem : I am really disappointed the Brazil guy was even able to place a bid on the auction, if it says in the description that it will not be shipped international ? I've tried placing bids on stuff in the U.K. & if the seller doesn't ship to the U.S. I cant even place a bid- so why was this guy from Brazil able to do so ? he jacked up the bid $70 to my max & then beat that . if he hadn't placed a bid , I would have won it for $90. I guess I'm kinda getting of the subject just a little . I really don't have the $150 to spend comfortably , but I really wanted the chance at winning those convention figures, so I got a little out of control with my max bidding . Do I just need to "dry it up!" or do I have a reasonable gripe with the Brazilian bidder/ American eBay seller ? thanks for listening LOL !!

pryorstemmed
06-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Do I just need to "dry it up!" or do I have a reasonable gripe with the Brazilian bidder/ American eBay seller ? thanks for listening LOL !!

I've had that happen in the past, but it usually is a shill bidder or a non-feedback buyer who backs out. When I get a "Second chance offer", I tell the seller that I will pay the amount that I would have originally paid if I had won the auction (the last dollar amount the item was at before I was outbid). If the seller does not accept selling their item at that price, I decline and move on.

Grunt
06-20-2013, 09:44 PM
I've finally started to slow down on my buying. Its been awhile since I've been on a Joe binge! I guess because I have most everything I need/want so I really don't frequent ebay that often anymore. I still look a couple times a week, but I used to have it pulled up 24/7. I had it bad! Those were the days;)

Geek-Viper
06-20-2013, 10:49 PM
he jacked up the bid $70 to my max & then beat that . if he hadn't placed a bid , I would have won it for $90.

I swear sometimes it's the seller trying to get the most out of you. I've had that happen a few times where an auction was sitting at a nice low price for me for days. Then out of nowhere some dude out bids me in the last minute. I accept my fate and figure like you did, I probably didn't have the money anyway. Then there's a bid retraction or second chance and I've got to pay double(or whatever my max was). So I wouldn't be surprised if the seller setup a second account, super high bid, retracted, left me maxed out.

Not that I have any proof of that though. :o

MENTALMIKE81
06-21-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm a sniper on eBay. I'm the most dreaded person there is, but if you want the item, all the action is in the last 10 seconds. I have lost nearly every auction I have ever put my max bid on hours or even minutes out. Of course my Internet and phone service is slow at my home (satellite Internet), so my sniping gets sniped sometimes. I've scored some awesome lots lately, but I've lost a few too.

navy viper
06-21-2013, 01:51 PM
When I was building my collection & had time to hang out in front of the monitor, I would snipe every thing I bid on . now that the opportunity to work over time is there at work I usually bid a "some what" crazy max bid while I'm gone at work .Sometimes it works out & sometimes it doesn't ? I'm having a difficult time gauging the value of joes anymore do to the movie release & what ever else is driving up the prices ? I'm after convention stuff & International stuff any more, you can still get lucky on convention stuff as it seems to be to expensive for "newer" collectors & it seems a lot of the older collectors already have alot of that stuff & its just a little to pricey to army build most of them - so I'm able to get some very good deals on some stuff- but of course no one on eBay ever wants to sell a G.I.Joe convention figure with the file card - thats really starting to bug me a little ! I guess I'm just going to have to give up on getting a file card for every convention figure I have / get in the future :(

MENTALMIKE81
06-22-2013, 07:37 AM
I've finally started to slow down on my buying. Its been awhile since I've been on a Joe binge! I guess because I have most everything I need/want so I really don't frequent ebay that often anymore. I still look a couple times a week, but I used to have it pulled up 24/7. I had it bad! Those were the days;)

I'm trying to get too that point, but I've still got a bit to go. Since I'm trying to have every figure from 82-94, it's going to take a minute. My 83-87 series is near complete, as that was my general collecting area in the beginning. Luckily, as far as Hard to Find figures, I've picked up quite a few over the last few months. I've been able to snag a 92 Gold Head Steel Brigade w/ rifle, 92 Ninja Viper w/ 1 sword, 93 Mail Away Deep Six complete, 93 Rapid Deployment Force complete, 93 Arctic Commandos complete, International Action Force, 93 Create a Cobra, and a 94 Techno Viper w/ Complete Power Fighter.

Flaco
06-22-2013, 11:16 AM
I understand, I seem to be in the middle of a full on addiction at the current time. Mine began with a neighbor that moved out of state. He knew that I collected Joes, etc. and asked me to see if there was anything I wanted out of his childhood collection, since he was going to liquidate everything. I walked away with a Flagg, Tomahawk, Rattler, Hovercraft, Hiss and a few other assorted items. I feel incredibly lucky to have received all of this FOR FREE, but it has kick started my urge to complete the 82-85 (maybe 86) run. For some reason I can't stop buying all the builders form that 4 year run: cobra soldiers/officers, eels, crimson guards, snow serpents...and on and on. I plan to start making all the dios and toys the didn't produce when I was a kid. My wife has stopped asking questions when daily packages arrive.

I found myself at a garage sale this morning with a huge toy collection for sale. Do they make methadone for collecting??

jason75
06-22-2013, 05:08 PM
I am currently on my back porch, drinking Yuengling and carelessly throwing money at Joe auctions, so yes, I do go crazy buying sometimes.

Currahee_Chris
06-24-2013, 07:34 AM
To the original post, everything in life needs to be enjoyed in moderation. Ive found that over the years, today's "Great deal" will pop again later on. We have responsibilities first and foremost as fathers and providers to our families (and im certainly not saying you or anyone else is shirking that responsibility). When we lose focus of that then things get skewed. Eventually, the things we collect destroy us when we over spend during the good times and regret in the bad. I always set a budget and live within that budget.

navy viper
06-24-2013, 01:55 PM
That is well said & speaks volumes of your character my friend

zartan74
06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
I got to say that I go in spurts as well. Some times I can go months or year without buying Joe's then wham!! I buy like crazy then stop again. Crazy I know.

Celticjedi
07-01-2013, 04:29 PM
I just bought a large Captain Power lot on eBay, had a few things I was missing and one of the nicest Col Stingray figure I have ever seen (clear non yellowed bubble).

Pathfinder_fan
07-01-2013, 10:00 PM
I've done it many times. Seen a whole bunch of figures I don't have, all at the same place and time, and bought them all.

Geek-Viper
07-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Sometimes I'm just not paying attention. Currently I'm active in about 150 auctions. I had no idea until I was done how many $5 bids I through out there.

Other times I'll just catch on to a character and try to get every version. Like just this year I started looking at Cobra CLAWS and thought they had a really cool look so I'm suddenly trying to build a squad of each color. Then it'll go quiet till I find someone else I want.

ihnken33
07-05-2013, 12:04 AM
I have bought about 30 ARAH figures complete with file cards in about 2 weeks. I think I need to slow down as I overlooked something... Condition and completeness. I was excited to get a complete night force Sneak Peak only to later realize the mic was missing, which infuriated me. THen I picked up a complete Main Frame and was extatic for the price I paid, then realized the backpack was broke in 3 different places, and was dissapointed about that. I know the Main Frame backpack is way more common and easier to find that the mic for Sneak Peak, but still, I get blinders on when I come up on good deals and I should have realized what I was getting myself into before I did. But I did pick up a great Crazy Legs complete. So 1 out of 3 figures was up to my standards. I'll find a backpack for Main Frame and that will be up to my standards soon enough.

So yea, I get overly excited as well very quickly and go buy crazy.

Jason73
07-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Last week I found the Eaglehawk at TRU and purchased it. I hadn't really been buying much Joe stuff lately. Well, I got it home and set it up and it managed to respark my interest in vintage Joe. For the past few days I've gone a bit crazy bidding and buying off of eBay. I'm really trying to get a complete 82-85 loose run, although I still pick occasional items from later years.

Anyway, I should probably hold off on buying for a while. At least till I receive all of my latest purchases.

ihnken33
07-06-2013, 01:15 AM
I just lost out on a Royal Guard from Cobra La on ebay... it went CHEAP complete with the antenna. I'm dissapointed I missed out on it.

3DJoes
07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I spent $25k or so over 5 years building my 1982-1985 AFA collection. The good news is I decided to sell them to generate the downpayment for my new house (closing August 2nd!) and those sales are going really well. My wife was blown away that I was able to recoup $17,500 in three weeks.

I guess my point is this... you'll always be able to re-sell this stuff to like-minded collectors, so why not view it as you are buying assets? You'll enjoy these assets much more than any stupid virtual stock or bond that you would never physically possess or enjoy, and you'll be able to re-sell them when you need money.

Just my two cents. Here's the 15 figures I have left for sale: Sale! - 3DJOES (http://www.3djoes.com/sale.html)

(I'm keeping my 1986-1994 carded collection for now, and all of my loose complete figures and vehicles)

Currahee_Chris
07-09-2013, 08:30 AM
I guess my point is this... you'll always be able to re-sell this stuff to like-minded collectors, so why not view it as you are buying assets? You'll enjoy these assets much more than any stupid virtual stock or bond that you would never physically possess or enjoy, and you'll be able to re-sell them when you need money.

Congratulations on that down payment!!! That's very impressive.

You bring up an interesting variation on this topic that Ive heard a lot of collectors talk about over the years...the "resale" value. It's a topic Im sort of wrestling with myself. Im not completely sold on the fact that the resale value will still be there- well, the resale I think will always still be there, it's the "Appreciation" of these "assets" that Im not so sure of. I think the Joe vintage line will have a healthy return over the next few years, maybe even decade but I do see it leveling off once the collector base hits the 55+ mark. Just my thoughts, I think the movies will at least keep the franchise holding firm and the brand alive just not so sure how much demand will be out there for a 1986 Roadblock in 2025.

I think all of us on this board hope that everything fully appreciates and we all get rich!! :)

Bottom line, my approach has always been to collect what I like and gives me a release from the real world. If it appreciates, all the better.

3DJoes
07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Congratulations on that down payment!!! That's very impressive.

Thanks! My wife was blown away... partly that I had that much invested in them, and partly that I was able to liquidate them so quickly.

it's the "Appreciation" of these "assets" that Im not so sure of. I think the Joe vintage line will have a healthy return over the next few years, maybe even decade but I do see it leveling off once the collector base hits the 55+ mark. Just my thoughts, I think the movies will at least keep the franchise holding firm and the brand alive just not so sure how much demand will be out there for a 1986 Roadblock in 2025.

Agreed. There's absolutely no guarantee that they'll appreciate. My personal experience has been that I've been able to make 10-15% over the last few years on MOC and AFA Joes. That's not bad compared to the stock market as a whole, and it was a hell of a lot more fun. I didn't set out to "invest" really, I was buying MOC/AFA and completing my collection, and just selling the doubles as I upgraded to first year cards promo free cards. I had fun and made my money back, and in some cases where I had them graded myself I made money.

Bottom line, my approach has always been to collect what I like and gives me a release from the real world. If it appreciates, all the better.

Absolutely. If you need to sell, but can't get your money back out of it and so you feel obligated to hold onto it, then you better love it! I only collect 1982-1994 for now, and I don't regret buying a single figure or vehicle. I love them all.

I'll miss my graded collection, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Thanks for listening!

christopher86
07-13-2013, 07:13 AM
I used to be the same way. Now I just try and budget myself. The Joes I'm buying now aren't very expensive but they can add up.

alexsanchezp
07-13-2013, 10:48 PM
I did it last year, all my bills are paid but I keep some of my yearly bonus to go around, presents for the wife and extra stuff, last year I over spent with Bill Me later and I ended up paying all year long all the way to getting my new bonus this year, finally all paid, no debt and I came across the chance of buying great pieces, rare to the extent of what they're worth...

- 1982 Missile Command Headquarters
- Vintage Night Boomer
- 2013 Night Boomer
- Mint, complete Plastirama Ninja Ku and Satan
- Complete Sky Patrol set
- Complete Night Force Set
- Complete Eco Warriors set

So now I burned all my bonus again and I'm in it for the resto of the year paying of little by little what I now owe.

As my collection grows, I guess I have now the big rare pieces and probably next year I'll simply freeze my bonus and will have to force myself to not over spend, it's a bad pattern and in everything else in my life I never spend more than the cash that I have, but this "invisible" bill me later money is just eating me away.

I'm considering maybe simply selling all my collection, basically I take it would be a 1982 - 1994 figure collection at a 80% completed and on top of it, vehicles like a mint Terrordrome, Flagg (with pieces in plastic trees), and so many other things

I guess that if next year a can't control myself I'll simply will have to part with the hobby, once something becomes a bad behavior you have to kill the origin from the root cause, like smoking I smoked for over 10 year and one day I just simply stopped. I guess the next big test will be this one...

Give me some advise guys, how to keep it balanced?

3DJoes
07-14-2013, 07:10 PM
it's a bad pattern and in everything else in my life I never spend more than the cash that I have, but this "invisible" bill me later money is just eating me away.

I appreciate your candor. Honestly, in my last 5 years of heavy buying and selling, I used a credit card through paypal three times for expensive AFA Joes. I knew I was being dumb and I did it any way. The interest money is such a waste when you do that. I paid the card off and swore never to do that again, and I've stuck to it for two years now.

You know where your weakness lies, in the "bill me later" option. You have to cut that off entirely, just like you did smoking. You don't have to lose the hobby you love, just don't spend what you don't have.

Congrats on quitting smoking BTW. I too smoked for 10 years (from 16-26) and quit 8 years ago.

Good luck!

Carson

3DJoes
07-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Oh, one more thing I've heard a lot of guys say:

If you don't have the money and an irresistible deal comes along, then sell something of value you own to get it.

alexsanchezp
07-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Oh, one more thing I've heard a lot of guys say:

If you don't have the money and an irresistible deal comes along, then sell something of value you own to get it.

I guess it's simply easier to hoard everything that comes your way but not easy to part with something, I'll definitively will take a hard look at what I have and try to get some money back to payoff debt first...

I guess you always think that everything you have is soooo important to let go...

thanks!

3DJoes
07-15-2013, 10:30 AM
^ I hear ya.

It was no easy task letting go of my graded 82-85 figures, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Good luck!