What is a toy you ruined on purpose only to realize it was rare ? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What is a toy you ruined on purpose only to realize it was rare ?

msv
06-23-2013, 05:47 PM
For me it was the night vulture glider figure I painted black to look like snake eyes.

Witchblood
06-23-2013, 07:19 PM
I took an original Destro and Baroness off thier cards because I prefer to display my figures of the shelf instead of the wall.

troynos
06-24-2013, 07:17 AM
I took very good care of my figures and was devastated when one broke (crotch, thumb, etc..). I never purposely damaged my stuff.

FireFox91
06-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Ruined on purpose? No, I don't think so. I did sell a complete Air Devil for practically nothing because I didn't think it was worth anything. Whoops.

Lt. Night Viper
06-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I never ruined anything on purpose, not even by accident. I tried to take good care of everything, but things happen. I know my dress blues Gung Ho sword 'knob' on his belt broke off at some point, as did the helmet pegs of my Night Viper and the scope broke off the peg of his visor. But I didn't do anything on purpose, that's for sure :cool:

grunt 4 mvp
06-24-2013, 11:03 PM
I painted Storm Shadow version 1's eye black to make it look like billy's patch - I had two as a kid.

Pit Viper
06-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Ace v3 that came with the Ghostriker. I took it camping with me once back in the 90s and I guess it got so hot in the car that the paint from his hair somehow managed to melt inside of his helmet. Years later I wanted to use it in a dioshot so I decided to paint his hair black. About two seconds after I did this I realized it looked like crap and now I just always keep the helmet on him.

Toyhunter80's
06-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Yeah nothing on purpose, but I did destroy my Falcon glider. That thing shadered into many pieces on it's first flight. Taped it back together and kept going. Now all that is left is crumbs.

MadCap69
06-28-2013, 12:56 PM
When I turned 10 and got my .22 rifle a huge number of my figures were used for target practice. Still angry at myself to this day over it....

zartan74
06-30-2013, 09:54 PM
I took my Tomahawk helicopter and set fire to it and watched it melt. (went down in a firefight) almost right after a felt horrible while all I could do is watch a puddle of plastic burn!!

Jason73
07-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Interesting topic. I painted the 1998 Vypra figure red to make her look more like Jinx.

Witchblood
07-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Interesting topic. I painted the 1998 Vypra figure red to make her look more like Jinx.

I got one of those if your interested in replaceing it, got all her acessories, but not the card.

jason75
07-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Ugh, looking back, I was an idiot for all of the figures I destroyed ( target practice, firecrackers, bottle rockets, etc.). Nothing really rare I think though.

Van Hammer
07-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I snapped Topside's O-Ring accidentally when I was a kid. I twisted his torso around and around and the o-ring snapped

getoe1
07-08-2013, 04:51 AM
popped a secto viper and mission brazil figures and countless other figures with the bb gun as a kid and destroyed a stiletto and skystriker with m80 like firecrackers !

'86 Digital Fire
07-09-2013, 06:21 AM
I didn't personally ruin anything on purpose, ever. I inherited my brother's Joes, but only when he was sure I'd treat them with respect. I would get upset by a lost weapon or a broken o-ring. I have some stories though.

In middle school I had a friend who brought two rare Street Fighter figures to school with him one day-- Blue Ken Masters and gray Ryu, from the Dragon Fortress-- I'd only ever seen the Dragon Fortress in the catalog, never in person-- and this friend said they were boring and that he wasn't too interested in keeping them. I said casually that I'd take them if he didn't want them. He said 'yeah, okay...' then impulsively dragged Ken's face across the rough white stucco wall of a school building, completely removing his face. Just flat blue plastic where the face had been. I went home with Ryu that day. And a deep-seated feeling of discomfort/suppressed anger at the sheer unnecessary wastefulness of it. Ryu is fine but I characterized him as having PTSD.

In high school I got into a conversation with a different (and nicer) friend about GI Joes, and he mentioned having the long black jet, the really long and thin one-- which I took to mean the Night Raven. It was his favorite jet until a cousin of his held it by both ends and snapped it in half over his knee. He'd been pretty upset about it, but it had happened a long time ago.

My brother knew someone who described to him, with great glee, setting firecrackers in the Skystriker's engine turbine-holes, lighting them up, and bringing it in for a landing on the USS Flagg... melting the Flagg's deck. My brother and I could only have dreamed of getting a Flagg, but we were able to laugh at the sheer audacity of that one at least. And because it was that kid's own Flagg to ruin, not somebody else's.

Since some of these stories are pretty awful and decrease my faith in humanity, I'll share a good one that brings back some of that faith. A friend in my high school PE class heard somehow that I liked GI Joe, and in an act of pure voluntary generosity he gave me his copy of Marvel #5. "Tanks for the Memories." I'd never read any of the comics before, though I worshipped the filecards, and I had only a handful of Joes made prior to 1988. The catalogs had shown me all of 86 and 87, but I didn't yet have internet, so anything prior to 86 was archaeology. I'd seen GI Joe the Movie a bunch of times, so I knew Scarlett and the Baroness from there, and at this point I'd seen the price guides in ToyFare and Tomart's, so I knew the names of the original thirteen but not even what most of them looked like. I had the second versions of Stalker and Rock n Roll, and Mega Marines Clutch (which I already knew was a poor substitute) and here I got to read a story featuring the original Clutch, and Scarlett, and the Baroness, and the original Cobra Commander, and introducing me to Breaker and Steeler and General Flagg. So that was an absolute treasure of a gift, and an incredible read. In its ten years of being, the issue had never been manhandled. Its pages were still crisp and everything. It maintains a place of honor in my collection. :)