Pop-ups on yojoe.com [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Pop-ups on yojoe.com

RotterdamTerrorCorps
08-24-2004, 03:46 AM
I do understand the use of advertising on yojoe and in general I don't find it too much disturbing. So far so good. A while ago a pop-up was introduced when opening yojoe.com. OK, I thought, this is rather irritating, but fine with me. Click 'n close.

Lately I receive a new pop-up on almost every click I make! Now this is getting frustrating! :mad: Now when visiting yojoe.com I turn on my pop-up blocker. Result: none of the advertisers are seen, nor will I visit their website! It is nice to advertise, but less aggressive would be appreciated. Mastercollectors is a real pain in the butt sometimes.

Jeff Bohn
08-24-2004, 04:05 AM
I didn't realize until you let me know (I rarely turn my pop-up blocker off). I've emailed to find out what is going on with that.

RotterdamTerrorCorps
08-24-2004, 05:10 AM
Jeff, thanks for sorting it out.

cthulhu522
08-24-2004, 05:27 AM
If you install the Google Toolbar (Free), it has an excellent pop-up blocker built in. You may know this already, but I thought I would throw it out there jst in case.

dockingbay97
08-24-2004, 06:31 AM
I didn't realize until you let me know (I rarely turn my pop-up blocker off). I've emailed to find out what is going on with that.

I didn't realize it either until a day or two ago when I turned my blocker off for some reason

Prozac
08-24-2004, 06:48 AM
If it makes a difference...I've noticed all of the figures.com affiliate sites(yojoe, LOTRG, etc) have them.

BelgianGabber
08-24-2004, 07:05 AM
yeah, I understand sponsors are very important. But thoes pop ups...

Druss
08-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Another thing to consider, if you use a tool like Spybot to clean your machien from Ad-Ware, Spy-Ware, etc it does flag this site as installing some obtrussive cookies, Double-Click if I recall correctly.

amphigory
08-24-2004, 08:48 AM
the mozilla firefox browser will take care of pop-ups. it is far superior to internet explorer. you can download it for free from mozilla.org. it was built from the ground up, so it doesn't have the gaping security problems that IE has.

RotterdamTerrorCorps
08-24-2004, 08:53 AM
If you install the Google Toolbar (Free), it has an excellent pop-up blocker built in. You may know this already, but I thought I would throw it out there jst in case.
Thanks! If I ever want to get infected by tons of adware I will definately install it! ;) Trust me, nothing in life is for free. Whenever software comes free there is almost always adware involved or some sort of marketing tool. In bad cases trojans or other malicious things are installed.

I've noticed all of the figures.com affiliate sites(yojoe, LOTRG, etc) have them.
So maybe somebody with overall rights has changed this?

Jeff Bohn
08-24-2004, 09:03 AM
It is being looked into now. Seems to max out at 3, and that does seem to be a bit too much.

Personally, I wouldn't mind as much if they were actually G.I.Joe related. The TCG pop-under didn't bother me at all.

Resolved -

They are down now, I was assured that it was a mistake and there should only be no "more than one pop-under per visit."

Thanks for informing us!

RotterdamTerrorCorps
08-24-2004, 09:40 AM
No Jeff, you thanks for solving it! :)

curmudgeon
08-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks! If I ever want to get infected by tons of adware I will definately install it! ;) Trust me, nothing in life is for free. Whenever software comes free there is almost always adware involved or some sort of marketing tool. In bad cases trojans or other malicious things are installed.

The Firefox browser is the best way to stop pop ups dead, just like amphigory suggested. It is has more features than internet explorer, is safer to use and has built in pop up control. I hate third party browser extensions and toolbars; I'd just install Firefox and you'll never have to worry about pop ups again. Or ten million security exploits a week. Just go to www.mozilla.org and get it off the front page.

Pete The Greek
08-24-2004, 10:56 AM
I tried Firefox. It's good but not great for some websites that have java. Now I use the Opera web browser. This browser blows all the rest away.

RotterdamTerrorCorps
08-24-2004, 01:13 PM
We're getting rather off topic since Jeff has solved the problem on YoJoe, don't you all agree? Browser discussing can get into serious flame-wars! :D

curmudgeon
08-24-2004, 02:07 PM
We're getting rather off topic since Jeff has solved the problem on YoJoe, don't you all agree? Browser discussing can get into serious flame-wars! :D

No flame wars, just suggestions to squash popups. Both firefox and opera are good options :)

cthulhu522
08-24-2004, 06:01 PM

It doesn't matter to me either way, I am a mac user. My browser blocks pop-ups, searches google, kills cookies on the spot, is 2 to 3 times faster than IE, and I do not have to worry about 99% of the spyware or virii/trojans. Plus, my computer actually works. I should note that Google Toolbar has never showed up in Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware on either of my parents computers.

RotterdamTerrorCorps
08-25-2004, 03:39 AM
I am a mac user.
Yep, that would be the best option to have everything up and running smoothly! :D

KrymsynGardImmoral
08-28-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't know if this is has gotten any better, but I got whacked with 12 pop-ups just researching a few vehicles this morning.

Navajo
08-28-2004, 07:28 PM
I keep getting a master replica pop-up about AVP. I don't know what's worse, the pop up, or something advertizing AVP.

Goldbug
08-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Yep, that would be the best option to have everything up and running smoothly! :D

Plus http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html works well also. Sorry I just can't stand all those flashing ads. I no longer get any pop-ups or unders.

Flint77
08-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Like other people have said, Firefox rocks. But if you like IE and have XP, download SP2, that will give IE a popup blocker. Plus it plugs some holes, and you get a better firewall than previously. Personally I use Zone Alarm.

TheReverend
08-28-2004, 09:53 PM
I use the google toolbar on my win-xp machine at home, and firefox on my home and work Linux boxes. No pop ups at all...

Which leads me to think that pop ups are not a great way to advertise with so many people blocking them regularly.

And like was said before, a Mac computer would work well too...if you want to spend 4 times what it costs for a similar PC (win or linux) machine then you can have that built in Mac popup blocker also :p .....(Just jokes not trying to start a flame war & no hate to the Mac fans...if they priced their computers at a decent cost, and I had a real reason to want one, I’d buy it - after all the os is unix based now;))

Flint77
08-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Yeah, Linux is pretty cool. I have a dual boot system, Win XP, and SuSe 9.1. Still learning on SuSe, kinda slow on a 950mhz though. You could always use Lynx for browsing the web, nothing beats text browsing. :)

thorn
08-29-2004, 01:33 AM
really? pop ups?
i use netscape, i guess it blocks them-
but guys, get adaware se (it is free DL) and check yer systems if yer getting tons of them. it might not be yojoe, it might be your machine, possibly even using yojoe's cookie to get more info
i was having a big problem with exploerer until recently, other spyware removers werent working.
those things (spywares) are horrendous. watch all your page views, then send you tons of popups related to the pages you visit. taking over my home page in explorer (didnt hit netscape in that way at least) , slowed down EVERYTHING. my server was sending my website at half speed, even regular software didnt run right.

Goldbug
08-29-2004, 02:41 AM
I use the google toolbar on my win-xp machine at home, and firefox on my home and work Linux boxes. No pop ups at all...

Which leads me to think that pop ups are not a great way to advertise with so many people blocking them regularly.

And like was said before, a Mac computer would work well too...if you want to spend 4 times what it costs for a similar PC (win or linux) machine then you can have that built in Mac popup blocker also :p .....(Just jokes not trying to start a flame war & no hate to the Mac fans...if they priced their computers at a decent cost, and I had a real reason to want one, I’d buy it - after all the os is unix based now;))

Macs & Linux just don't get spyware. I don't think Mozilla even gets spyware either. On my PC if I use IE & browse for a while I do get spyware. SP2 didn't fix everything. The only way to fix everything is to buld a whole new OS from scratch. Longhorn isn't from scratch.
It's not 4x. You just need to know where to buy a Mac. Of course all NEW computers are expensive. :p
Look here is one for you! if it's still there
http://www.maczone.com/cgi-bin/zones/site/list/index.html?id=-17845