sgt. slaughter print i picked up at a comic con [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : sgt. slaughter print i picked up at a comic con

hotdog
07-28-2013, 10:30 AM
so I'd never go back to Louisville fandom fest- ever- , it was the worst experience (con wise) of my life. it was disorganized, dirty and none of the actual workers could help you with anything. seriously.
in the end I got a few celebrity photo ops that I was wanting (William Shatner, the walking dead cast and a photo of my kid and his girlfriend with Norman reedus and Michael rooker). but while waiting 6 hours for my photos to be printed I stumbled across this sgt. slaughter print. there was another print in another booth of cobra commander (but gi joe stuff was rather uncommon as you might expect at a comic con), but since I am a huge slaughter fan, I had to pick this up. it was made by a younger guy named eril hodson. his facebook name is erikhodsonillustration (in case you want one).
hope you think it is as cool as I did:
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww293/yojoehotdog/new%20crap%20i%20saw/3cc83a87-dd81-4fb9-8c12-970e4aaf1c11_zps32a6ab95.jpg (http://s729.photobucket.com/user/yojoehotdog/media/new%20crap%20i%20saw/3cc83a87-dd81-4fb9-8c12-970e4aaf1c11_zps32a6ab95.jpg.html)

formbx257
07-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Very cool, thanks for the link - I might get one of these! Guess I'm not surprised him putting Hulk Hogan in a headlock... Iron Shiek wouldn't be politically correct nowadays.

hotdog
07-29-2013, 06:38 AM
I think it had more to do with them being popularity rivals (in the 80's and early 90's). Slaughter wrestled in the awa if I remember correctly And that was due mostly to 2 factors:
1- The WWF wouldn't give him a title shot because hulk Hogan was the face of their league (and super popular).
2- In the awa sarge was a good guy and allowed to wear the GI Joe leggings and keep his gi Joe revenue, and remain a champion with his own belt (those are normally regulated by the owner of the league).
Iron shiek and a couple "russian" guys were his main rivals then. By 87 he was nearly as popular as hogan. But to get the heavy weight title he wanted (in the more prestigeous wwf) mc mahon (the owner of the wwf- which was where all the money in wrestling was back then) demanded he come to the WWF as a heel (bad guy), which he did (as suddam hussein's henchman during the first gulf war). he ended up with the title as a bad guy, Only to take a fall in front of thousands of hulkamamiacs in one of the wrestlemanias.
Joetoyfan can probably tell this better than me. But hulk hogan was appropriate to me. The iron sheik would have been a great choice as well. but I thought hogan was a real zinger.