Moondancer vs. Dolphin [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Moondancer vs. Dolphin

rageseven
08-29-2004, 10:34 PM
I'm just curious...are there any differences in these figures other than their heads?

RotterdamTerrorCorps
08-30-2004, 02:50 AM
their vehicles! ;)

crimson tide
08-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Not to sound too dumb, what mold are they made off of?:o I have heard of these figures, but haven't actually seen even a picture.:confused:

RotterdamTerrorCorps
08-30-2004, 09:46 AM
Dolphin = Zap
Moon Dancer = Short Fuze

http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/dolphin.shtml
http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/moondancer.shtml

crimson tide
08-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks! I guess instead of being lazy I should have looked!! LOL!!!!:D

joeboy75
09-01-2004, 04:09 PM
I've seen these figurs come with accessories, and I've also heard of them being bagged w/out any accessories. Anyone have any information on this?

RotterdamTerrorCorps
09-02-2004, 03:01 AM
I've seen these figurs come with accessories, and I've also heard of them being bagged w/out any accessories. Anyone have any information on this?

The number of varients in packaging is quite numerous. The early waves (Star Wars articulated type of figures) had quite some varients when it comes to accessories. These varients were mainly production errors.

When swivel arms were introduced, some vehicles were released in closed boxes and window boxes. Closed boxes had a figure bagged, window boxes had a figure in some sort of container with window. This was mainly for display purposes when on shelf.

Palitoy was shut down late eighties. There was still a lot of stock lying around. Figures in containers ready to be put in window boxes. Most of these were with accessoires, but also a few are known to be without. Most likely a production error or lack of material.

Loose overstock figures were bagged. Most figures come without accessories and with a random accessory.

rageseven
09-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Okay guys, lets keep this topic on task. My question is : Is there any difference between the figures themselves? Vehicle, accessory, and packaging variants aside. Both figures share the same mold except for the head, so clearly they are the same in that respect. What I'm really curious about is the paint apps. on the hands. Is there anyone who has both figures still sealed who can see if there is a difference. I originally thought that Moondancer's hands were a lighter color than Dolphin's, but now I'm not so sure. I've seen Moodancer's with both light and slightly darker skin tones on the hands, and I've only seen Dophin's with the slightly darker skin tones. Of course with loose figures, you could just switch the heads. I recently got a sealed Convention Shortfuze/Moondancer with the slightly darker skin tones and I thought that all of the Moondancer had the lighter hands. That's what caused me to ask the question.

notpicard
09-02-2004, 03:08 PM
I got my dolphin loose and my Moondancer MIP. Dolphin's hands appear to be slightly lighter or you might say more yellow. Both have a yellowish tint to them though, so I think the only way you would be able to tell the difference in pictures is if they are pictured together. They are close enough that lighting or a different scanner or camera might pull tricks on you. At least that is the case on mine. I should also note that the tones of the heads are not the same as my Short Fuse (or even Hawk) and Zap.

So it appears that there is no way to do any exact part swapping between them, but that could just be because they weren't always exactly the same anyway (for example, the heads on my Short fuse figures don't even match each other).

rageseven
09-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Very cool. I know exactly what you're saying about the yellowish skin tones on the hands. Thanks for the input notpicard and everyone else. All the info on the packaging and accessory variations was very interesting.