Ranking [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Ranking

Warpath
08-31-2004, 07:29 AM
This is for the admin : What about giving us rankings. In other forums they give you a rank according to the number of the posts you've made. Instead of saying " member " you could say " shotgunner " "sniper" etc. Check www.tfarchive.org (http://www.tfarchive.org) to see what I mean

Thank you

Jeff Bohn
08-31-2004, 07:31 AM
We'd rather not. It leads to people trying to boost their post count usually, and we feel that everyone should be on the same level.

Druss
08-31-2004, 10:26 AM
To be honest post count boosting has always been pretty rampant on this site. It has gotten better but you'll see a lot of junk threads where people drop 1 or 2 word replies and the counts go up.

Patrick A. Riley
08-31-2004, 10:47 AM
And unneccessary consecutive posts in the comprehensive Good/Bad Trader's List

red25thta
08-31-2004, 11:17 AM
I hate it when people were posting 1 word per post for like 20 post. Prop's to the admin on the delay to fix some of that. BUt it does get annoying when trying to jump from one thread to the next (G)/

toe
08-31-2004, 06:20 PM
And unneccessary consecutive posts in the comprehensive Good/Bad Trader's List

i thought i was the only person who noticed this!! Tis weak! I would love to hear their explanation. Why not just put all of your 'good trades' on one post??????????????? No seriously, Why? I suppose one could psychoanalize how a vast number of posts increases one's self-esteem.....whatever floats your boat, i guess.

John Missal
08-31-2004, 07:07 PM
It has gotten better but you'll see a lot of junk threads where people drop 1 or 2 word replies and the counts go up.

agreed

:-P

John M.>adminwhodoesn'tpostenough....

thorn
08-31-2004, 08:26 PM
thinking you have a large number of posts means you are something is pretty silly.
look at my post number. look at my join date .
what does it prove?????
i have way to much free time. not much else.

Druss
08-31-2004, 08:51 PM
Those with reason know that Thorn but sadly that is always a affliction on message boards, people want the post count "title". It doesn't mean squat outside of the board, and really doesn't mean squat in the board but its something people always have done.

Ann G
08-31-2004, 09:34 PM
i thought i was the only person who noticed this!! Tis weak! I would love to hear their explanation. Why not just put all of your 'good trades' on one post??????????????? No seriously, Why? I suppose one could psychoanalize how a vast number of posts increases one's self-esteem.....whatever floats your boat, i guess.

The reasoning behind posting posting each trade feedback indivdually is so someone's feedback doesn't get buried. It isn't a big deal if you have an ongoing good reputation here, but if you are new and someone posts like this

Title : My good list

Content
Bigfan
steve fench
Flman
figsdirect
Somerandomnewguy

and two days later I want to know if somerandomnewguy is a good trader and I punch his name in a search (subject searches are better for the good trader board...whole post search function for this doesn't help at all)...more often than not..he won't show up even though he has good feedback.

And then we get "Has someone traded with somerandomnewguy on the advice boards."

If you post in like this

Subject: somerendomnewguy is an excellent trader
Content: Joe Smoe is an awesome guy good product and fast shipping

and I punch in a subject search for somerandomnewguy...he will show up.

Good Trader postings usually have nothing to do with people boosting post counts...it is simply making life easier for the rest of us looking for people whose names don't pop up ALL the time. Post count boosting is usually done in the other sections and contribute nothing to the thread and are an irritant to put it lightly.

toe
08-31-2004, 10:14 PM
i see what you're saying.. I was referring to the Comprehensive list though.

Oops...just increased my post count. :-)

Warpath
09-01-2004, 06:56 AM
We'd rather not. It leads to people trying to boost their post count usually, and we feel that everyone should be on the same level.
I agree that something like that will happen unless you have time to check us and warn us. You are the leader,you decide. What about the teams I was talking about in an other post?:)

Graz73
09-20-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm against any ranking stuff. I hate wasting time clicking on posts where people are talking about their rankings or celebrating some posting milestone.

Jeff Bohn
09-20-2004, 09:15 AM
I agree that something like that will happen unless you have time to check us and warn us. You are the leader,you decide. What about the teams I was talking about in an other post?:)

I've seen a lot of GI Joe online RPGs attempt and fail. The fact that no one replied to the post about teams mean there probably isn't enough interest to try to keep one going.

thunt4
09-20-2004, 11:59 AM
I have to agree with the rest, every board I have been on that trys to rank guys and such always ends in a few people that mess it up. The only thing we need that is up is the join date because that allows new users to see whos been here a long time and those people are more than likely a lesser risk to deal with than a new guy. Having how many posts is ok because no one abuses that here. You look at the guys that have 1500 and if you read through what they have written and its all useful and not garbage.Why should the mods have another job keeping track of someone who posts one words things every post, they have enough to do and they all volunteer there time.