Marvel classic Joe collection volumes [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Marvel classic Joe collection volumes

H.Q.
09-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know why Marvel stopped producing the volumes of the classic Joe comic? I like the 5 volumes that are out now, but it seems that's going to be it.

badfish
09-01-2004, 02:51 PM
i've was wondering the same thing myself.I believe it had to do with copyrights, if my memory serves correct

Phil Kost
09-01-2004, 03:18 PM
There have been many theories, guesses, hunches, etc. that have made their way around the internet.

The most common thing I have read, which leads me to believe this is the truth, is that Marvel got permission to reprint the first 50 issues of the series and that was it.

nightc1
09-03-2004, 04:40 PM
This is just all hearsay... so don't take it too seriously...

Marvel's intention was to reprint the ENTIRE GI Joe series (all 155 issues).

The only reason they stopped was due to how fast they were selling. I don't think overall they were as big a hit as Marvel intended. I think, as it was running through my mind when I decided not to buy the TPB's... the price is a big part of what did them in. It's kind of like the Star Trek various series on DVD. $80-$100 for just one Season of those series on DVD is TOO dang much. Expecially when the seasons were no longer than any other show. However for the fans... they can afford to price em so high since no one else would buy em.

EDIT:

Comparison...

The First 50 issues of GI Joe in TPB would Retail (not that we can't get em cheaper... but just going from Marvels Perpective here) for $125. Meanwhile for about $60 or less I can just buy those individual 50 issues (with 21 being the most costly of the bunch).

danyanda
09-03-2004, 09:15 PM
well, I already have the vast majority of those comics, but would still like to have and WOULD BUY the trade paper backs. It is a shame they got cancelled, but I agree that it more than likely came down to dollars and sense (he he, get it?)

dockingbay97
09-04-2004, 06:21 PM
nightc1 is right. At the time Marvel said it came down to simple poor sales.

Phil Kost
09-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Not saying that the sales issue is right or wrong, but it is hard for Marvel to justify that when two out of the five TPB sold out at the Distro level.

H.Q.
09-05-2004, 05:56 AM
Well, thanks for your responses so far. We'll just have to see what happens, or is it possible to contact Marvel about the issue? (if it hasn't already been done yet)

Phil Kost
09-05-2004, 02:52 PM
It is possible to contact Marvel, however I believe that Hasbro now owns the sole rights to the original run of comics. Thus the reason we have the comics packaged with the 3 figures now. Not that none of the Marvel banners are on the cover any more.

There has been talk (more like extreme wishing) that Hasbro will give the green light to Devil's Due to publish the rest of the original run in TPB form.

We will see what happens.

Phil

cmderinchief
09-07-2004, 02:18 PM
If they had to stop at 50, at least they picked a jumping off point when the story telling was solid. Sure there were a couple of lame issues, but the first 50 sure layed the foundation up to and through the Cobra Civil War.

nightc1
09-07-2004, 04:51 PM
I agree with the first 50 issues being pretty much the best of the bunch. I enjoyed the 50 issues that followed (and alteast the 20 after that or so)... but things got more scifi after issue 50 with the whole Serpentor... Island popping out of the sea... and CC's death and return... and more.

Not saying that the sales issue is right or wrong, but it is hard for Marvel to justify that when two out of the five TPB sold out at the Distro level.
DD will tell you that issue 33 of the current GI Joe series already sold out (after something like a day of sales). However, what they aren't telling you is how many issues were pressed. That's the publishing game right there. No matter what you are publishing you publish enough that you not only make money but also don't end up with thousands of unsold items out there. IF we were privy to how many of what issues were published... it would tell a more meaningful story.

I haven't been buying the comic 3 packs (though dang they are tempting for the figures alone... I have the comics already in original or TALES OF format)... but I was wondering what the deal was with the Marvel-less representations. Do they say Marvel on the inside or anything? Any credit to the original writers/artists/... etc.?

danyanda
09-08-2004, 08:45 PM
The interior of the comics has the "Stan Lee Presents:" and the original writer, et. al. credits, but all the copyright info is all hasbro. From what DDP said at the con, Hasbro has always held the rights to the comics, so this was not really an issue for them. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I guess they contracted Marvel and the actual work remained the property of Hasbro.