Archive idea [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Archive idea

thunt4
09-06-2004, 03:24 PM
One thing i like to check out when i buy something mip is the price it cost if the sticker is still on there. I know this is a lot of work but maybe starting with the new stuff when its added why not add the retail price it cost as well just for a reference. It would be cooler to see the old stuff but figured the new stuff would be easiest. I know this is a retarded amount of work to do that but just a suggestion thats all

acmirro
09-06-2004, 03:31 PM
We were talking about this a while ago and figured that it would be really hard to list all prices from all stores. TRU sold figures for $2.99, kaybee for $3.29, and Woolworth for $3.99.

Same goes for the new stuff.

What we were thinking was just adding the MSRP for the new stuff.

thunt4
09-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Ya it doesn't have to be perfect but just to give an idea of what it sold for. I mostly would like this for the older items simply because a few years back I had bought some mib items and the original tag was on it and i was like wow it cost this much and i just bought it for $10 less than store price. I thought it would give a better idea of what the going price back then was so you have a better idea for when it comes to buying things.

Iron Snake
09-07-2004, 11:55 PM
I thought it would give a better idea of what the going price back then was so you have a better idea for when it comes to buying things.

I don't follow the logic. What difference would a sticker price on an item 20 years ago matter today? Can you explain what you're thinking a little bit more?

thunt4
09-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Pretty much the point behind it is not so much the going value but the value you are getting it at. For example lets say I buy a misp machine gun defense for $15 and it originally sold for $3 so 20 years later it only went up 5 times where as other things go up maybe 100 times the original value. To me as a buyer getting those ones thats only went up a few times are a great value when you have something to base it off of. I had purchased a few things from 1988-1990 and did not realize that a lot of those were more expensive and the price I paid for them in 2002 were maybe only a few dollars more than the original price. Its not about it being 20 years old becuase i know something that cost $5 at the store back then would sell for 15 now just guessing its about having an idea of the retail price back then because back then there was no favorites when they came out.When i look at something now I know what the value is now but back then I would like to know how much it sold for because something of the same size even though similair may have had a dramatic price difference so I have an idea when i go to buy something now i can say oh thats really only 5 10 or 15 times what it sold for which is not bad at all since it is 20 years later like you said. I know this probably made no sense. Maybe I will rewrite this when its not so late and I am not so tired. lol

bigjohnwoo
09-08-2004, 03:03 AM
I'm not sure I follow that reasoning, but I echo the sentiment that the historic prices would be a nice addition to the archives. If for no other reason, it should be done simply because Yojoe is THE authoritative database/internet site on all things GI Joe. A lot of the people that wander through Yojoe aren't just there to verify if they indeed have the correct uzi for Law vs. Snake Eyes, the site is referenced in numerous 80s nostalgia articles all over the web. And for nostalgia's sake and Yojoe's continued presense as the premiere Joe site, I think it's a worthwhile addition.

I'm sure there are lots of 26 year old guys who're just curious how much that Flagg that their mom's wouldn't buy them but that brat down the street had cost. And that Terror Dome. Or the Defiant. I'm curious.

I agree the TRU vs. Sears vs. KB etc is too massive an undertaking. Just pick one as a standard. It's really only the relative prices year to year and between vehicles that's of interest. This isn't about what retailer was the best bargain 20 years ago.

And while I'm here asking for stuff:

As a MOC buyer/seller, another welcome addition to the archives would be a page somewhere explaining 9-backs vs. 11-backs vs. Explosion backs vs. 20-backs... and grey vs. peach cards and 2D vs. 3D logos. Maybe a timeline and some indication of which figs were available on what. It seems I answer a whole lot of ebay user questions on that. www.gadders.com has a very helpful-to-beginners article on Palitoy Figures that does a great job explaining the cardback evolution and what's available on what.

Paul Grant
09-10-2004, 09:27 AM
http://www.joesightings.com is kind of a price archive for the newer stuff, I just hope sentinel is backing up the database for posterity ;)

As for the old stuff, who can forget these :)

http://www.yojoe.com/international/canada/searscatalog86.shtml
http://www.yojoe.com/international/canada/consumercatalog86.shtml

thorn
09-10-2004, 01:42 PM
ack! those canadian $ prices!