DD vs. Marvel [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : DD vs. Marvel

yojoeshow
09-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Why did Marvel hand over the GIJoe comic rights to Devils Due instead of making it themselves?

Phil Kost
09-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Marvel didn't hand anything over to Devil's Due.

The liscense has always belonged to Hasbro to do with as it pleased, and Devil's Due made a pitch for the comic sometime prior to 2001 (Not really sure when the deal went down) and Hasbro awarded the GI Joe comic liscense to Devil's Due.

Prior to that, the liscense had gone to Dark Horse when the GI Joe Extreme comics came out. (1995, 1996)

So obviously Marvel hasn't been either A.) interested in GI Joe, or B.) selected by Hasbro to continue the GI Joe comics under the Marvel banner for almost 10 years.

yojoeshow
09-06-2004, 07:06 PM
So then what if Marvel did the new GIJoe run? Would the comics be the same, better, or worse?

Phil Kost
09-06-2004, 07:58 PM
So then what if Marvel did the new GIJoe run? Would the comics be the same, better, or worse?

First, I don't think Marvel would do a new GI Joe run. Secondly, I think it would be worse.

Currently the GI Joe titles are the main staples in the Devil's Due line-up and the GI Joe titles are what put DD on the map as a publishing company. Over at Marvel GI Joe would be behind all the Spider-man titles, all the X-titles, all the Ultimate titles, all the Avenger titles, well...you get the point. GI Joe would not be a focus point in the company. Even though DD is branching out and publishing more books the GI Joe title is still very important to them and the fact that the owner of the company wrote the first 25 issues of the DD GI Joe run makes it all the more important.

Sorry for a long answer to a short question.

Bottom line: With the current structure of Marvel comics, give me DD GI Joe comics any day.

Antarctica
09-07-2004, 01:39 AM
The only possible way Marvel could have matched its first go around success, people forget that GI Joe was one of Marvel most successful comic in the 80's. I think even one year, don't quote me this, but it may have been #1 for Marvel. Actually, can anyone confirm that.

Back to topic, Is if Larry Hama was in charge, head writer, they hired the best artist, and even Hasbro left him alone to what he really wants with his characters.

nightc1
09-07-2004, 09:18 AM
IF Marvel got back the rights to do GI Joe... I personally don't have a clue if it would be better or worse than what DD is doing with the license. DD is doing a good job ... but IMO... there's nothing that'll bring back to light the IMO fantastic style and diversity of the original Marvel series. Also, in the later Marvel issues... GI Joe didn't exactly shine as brightly as it could have. The transformers generation 2 crossover was IMO pretty lousy. However for the first 120 or so issues... it's one of my favorite comics of all time. More than Xmen, Spiderman, the Punisher, or any of the other comics I bought through the years.

Dreadnok4life
09-07-2004, 06:24 PM
I agree with Phil. GI Joe is in better hands with Devil's Due. Now I just wish they would either kill Reloaded, or retool it.

Phil Kost
09-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Now I just wish they would either kill Reloaded, or retool it.

You are about to get your wish, starting with issue #10 Chuck Dixon is taking over the writing.

I for one am very pumped about this move. I have been one of the minority that have enjoyed the series from start until now, but I am VERY excited about Dixon coming on board. I loved his Team 7 series.

I could go on and on, but I will stop there.

Dreadnok4life
09-07-2004, 08:29 PM
You are about to get your wish, starting with issue #10 Chuck Dixon is taking over the writing.

That is awesome. I like Chuck Dixon's work. I hope he can turn the book around.

Antarctica
09-16-2004, 11:19 PM
People tend to forget that GI Joe in the 80's was one of Marvel's best selling comic books. I think the age group that started out buying the book and toys got older, and Hasbro failed to really bring in new kids to the toyline & Marvel to comic. Cause I know I was just starting college when GI Joe MArvel run ended. And had stopped buying the toys years earlier, but never stopped buying the comic (and at that point when GI Joe ended it was my last comic series left that I was activty collecting, and stopped collecting comics)

And with low sales, and probably low interest by then MArvel was done with GI Joe.

I think Devil's Due returning the comic has directly led to GI Joe being in McDonald's. It has a really resparked the title for Hasbro. The display at the San Diego Comic Con was pretty big (not Star Wars size but noticable)Those kids that started collecting back then are adults now with kids of there own. And Hasbro is like lets get the the first genertion to pass it on the next generation.

And Devil's Due has done right by GI Joe so far.