'84 Ripper Variant???????? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : '84 Ripper Variant????????

dialtone73
09-08-2004, 08:27 PM
I picked up this figure in a large collection from a good friend and upon closer examination I noticed that he is wearing buzzers boots and that his waist closly resembles buzzers but there is no skull belt buckle and he has a little pouch on his right side (like torch but smaller) My first reaction was to call my friend and ask if he had done some part swaping but he says that he never switched parts on any of his figures. I am lost and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have pics comparing the ripper with another if anyone thinks they can help me I will gladly e-mail you the pix.

christopher_murphree@yahoo.com

Jeff Bohn
09-08-2004, 08:36 PM
I'll upload the pics here, I've got them from the emails, but I'm backed up on them...

danyanda
09-08-2004, 08:48 PM
One of my favorite figures as a kid was my Motor Viper. The waist piece is his.

JeffreyKabal
09-09-2004, 03:11 AM
Neophyte on this forum also has 2 rippers bit their shirt have different colors.
IŽll have a look for the pics and my pc at home.
Will upload them tonight.

RotterdamTerrorCorps
09-09-2004, 04:18 AM
Chris, good to see you aboard! We have dealt on eBay before.

The only way to prove this is a variant and not some goof up, is if somebody else has one like the ones you posted. At first sight to me it does neither appear to be frankensteined nor a paintwork mess up.

dialtone73
09-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Thanks to all that answered, but I still dont know what the story is with this figure. Is it a factory goof or an early test run figure? Anyone else have any info?

Also a big thanks for the warm welcome from everyone.

You guys rock!

danyanda
09-09-2004, 07:05 AM
The story with this figure is that your friend (or whoever he got the figure from) took a Ripper figure and swapped the waist with a Motor Viper and the lower legs with a Buzzer figure. Kudos to the fact that all the colors match pretty well, but this is nothing more than a Frankenstein.

As far as other examples, that would prove nothing. Anyone with three fairly common figures could easily throw one of these together.

RotterdamTerrorCorps
09-09-2004, 07:22 AM
nothing more than a Frankenstein.
Case solved! It is a distinctive crotch (no pun intended), but I totally overlooked it.

As far as other examples, that would prove nothing.
More examples prove nothing I agree, but it makes something being a variant more plausible.

dialtone73
09-09-2004, 07:56 AM
The story with this figure is that your friend (or whoever he got the figure from) took a Ripper figure and swapped the waist with a Motor Viper and the lower legs with a Buzzer figure. Kudos to the fact that all the colors match pretty well, but this is nothing more than a Frankenstein.

As far as other examples, that would prove nothing. Anyone with three fairly common figures could easily throw one of these together.The problem is that my friend bought the figure this way in 84 right off of the shelf. He never switched any of the parts. Is it possible that some one at the factory did this?

I also just called my friend and he said that he never owned the cobra stun or a motor viper and he didnt get the figure from anyone else.

I'm still lost :confused:

Druss
09-09-2004, 10:18 AM
That was in 1986 though, almost 20 years ago.....its not out of the quesiton that he's mistaken and its pretty obviously a Motor Viper waist.

dialtone73
09-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Yeah I guess it has to be a frankinstien, oh well at least I'm not racking my brain to figure out whos waist this is.

Thanks again for everyones help!