Best Spray Paints & best standard colors? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Best Spray Paints & best standard colors?

Druss
09-09-2004, 10:56 AM
I'm curious people's opinions on best choices for best brand of spray paint and best colors?

The colors I'm mainly interested in are a good Cobra Blue(i.e. Rattler), Tiger Force Yellow/Red, G.I.Joe Green(think early Joe vehicles) and of course Crimson.

Also any tips for spray painting vehicles?

KrymsynGardImmoral
09-09-2004, 11:54 AM
here are two of the colors-types i get, both were picked up at Wal-Mart. i alos use the flat black same brand as the blue. as for yellow, i have only ever found gloss, and yellow is such a hard color to paint, it takes like 50 coats and never loos right in my experience. Good luck there.

Druss
09-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks! I'll definetly check those out. That F/18 Looks sweet!

I'm itching to make some custom Tiger Force vehicles, figure a yellow base with red painted over it by hand....just have to pour the paint on I guess.

Deadman2099
09-10-2004, 08:48 PM
i'm no customizer, but if i were going to do a tiger force vehicle, i'd use a masking tape to cover the yellow base, you can probablly do the ragged stripes pretty easy with the tape, just my two cents.

thorn
09-12-2004, 03:25 AM
ill throw in that the new almond is pretty decent for desert stuff- after that, any brown goes well.
when it comes to brand, you pretty much get what you pay for , better tips and faster drying with krylon.
(i usually use the cheap stuff, for the kind of stuff we do with vehicles, repainting. brand hardly matters)

stratcat
09-12-2004, 10:29 AM
You definitely want to stick with Krylon Fusion, which is made for painting plastic. It works great. I've painted several Hiss 3's with the flat black and it's tough to tell the difference right beside the original. It dries quickly, and adheres better than anything else.

KrymsynGardImmoral
09-12-2004, 10:04 PM
You definitely want to stick with Krylon Fusion, which is made for painting plastic. It works great. I've painted several Hiss 3's with the flat black and it's tough to tell the difference right beside the original. It dries quickly, and adheres better than anything else.

Has krylon started releasing the Fusion line in flat finishes? i have only found gloss, and honestly, i don't like it at all, it clumps and coats badly. It works well for smaller stuff, but anytime i use it on larger items, I am never happy with the results. If it is coming in flat or satin finish now, I will use it.

gabbyb3
09-16-2004, 08:43 AM
if you are using a spray paint place it in some hot tap water.. it sprays better without the blobs and also develpos more pressure.. do it for about 5 min before you paint and also do not spray on hot humid days as it will discolor.. i have a dupont paint certificate for autobody.. also won a few tamiya compitions for tanks.....i have mahe the following mods.. applied body contour paste to simulate a zimmerite coating on my hiss tank{ looks wild }, i have grafted a pulverizer top turret on one, one has a lynx top turret.. and my next one i an working on will be using 2 stun pods.. i have rebuilt the whole rear part of the hiss to accept them the back is more boxy but so far it looks cool..i also made an anti aircraft hiss using an armidillo turret and i am contamplating a recovery hiss{ with towing tower} and i also have a suppy hiss{ turret is gone and it has a drop down rear door with the inside superdetailed wityh accy's from stuff i had laying around.. i also made a supply trailer wot of an old whirl wind base.... anyone needs any questions answers let me know... gabbyb3@hotmail.com