A question about yo joe and vehicles. [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : A question about yo joe and vehicles.

Navajo
09-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Just curious, I know how time consuming this would be, but has there ever been any talk about doing the WHOBIT but for vehicles and playsets? I'll try to go the pit every so often but I'm an idiot and I can never find what I have. Yojoe's whobit is so easy to use, just curious as to why there isn't one for vehicle parts.

gunless
09-18-2004, 07:59 PM
I think this would be a good idea, but grouping the items might be a problem(except for missiles and guns). the pit has a search database that's pretty good, and if that doesn't work, you could post a pic here and ask for an ID.

Jeff Bohn
09-18-2004, 08:17 PM
We are headed in that direction. Jon has been doing a lot of vehicle updates, and they all include single pictures of all the pieces.

Take a look at the Devilfish (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/devilfish/) for an example.

Once we have all those in place, then we could do a WHOBIT style search option for vehicle parts.

Druss
09-18-2004, 09:21 PM
If something like that was done, for at least the majority of the vehicles I feel that would shore up the one real weakness this site has.

orionlukteel
09-18-2004, 09:46 PM
I only see one hitch - there are so many small parts to every vehicle, it'd be
a really massive effort to display every one and link them together as the WHOBIT registry has been linked.

There are a lot of goofy things like engine covers, or roll bars, or brush bars, or winches, or hooks or... you get the idea. The parts links for the Defiant alone would take up a heck of a lot of room!

Some of the links might be easy - like linking the missiles for similar vehicles (like the Devil Fish and Tiger Fish, or any of the Rattler incarnations).
But I don't envy all the legwork it'll take to get the images of all the parts and incorporate them into a WHOBIT- like structure.

I was going to ask the same question until I followed the link to the PIT. It's got a lot of good info, some of the searches are a little tougher to orchestrate than others, eg. what do I call the HISS treads? Tracks? Treads?
Roadkill beaters? But overall it's a darn good source. I figured "why reinvent the wheel?" when I thought about a WHOBIT for vehicles. But if it's already in the works, BOOYAH! :D

I have a LOT of respect for everyone who had a hand in the WHOBIT construction process, and an equal amount of respect for those who would undertake a similar task for vehicle parts. If I can be of any help with pictures, etc., drop me a line!

Peace,
Pat

Darkhawk76
09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
To save some work on you Yo Joe guys, you might also consider getting with JD over at The Pit (http://www.gijoepit.com/). He's got a lot of work done with this type of thing, so I'm sure he'd be willing to work with you guys on setting up something.

Deogg
09-24-2004, 12:25 PM
I would suggest that anything you do from here on out has watermarked pics so we don't have any ebayers using the pics.

Jeff Bohn
09-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Ebayers will still use the pics, watermarking doesn't protect that at all, just makes it look even worse for the seller.

We have been discussing that issue this week though.

Deogg
09-24-2004, 01:15 PM
That's true, they'll probably still use them, but it will just make it obvious that the pic doesn't match what they're selling ;)

Jeff Bohn
09-24-2004, 09:55 PM
See the 9/24 update to see one way that we are trying to eliminate or curb image theft.

detroscastle
09-27-2004, 04:12 AM
I noticed a couple of vehicles pictured into parts.This helped alot with a recent purchase.Thanks,great job.Also I really don't like some of the other sites out there because I have trouble with navigation.It's good to see YoJoe.com improving.

Softblader
09-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Just curious, I know how time consuming this would be, but has there ever been any talk about doing the WHOBIT but for vehicles and playsets? I'll try to go the pit every so often but I'm an idiot and I can never find what I have. Yojoe's whobit is so easy to use, just curious as to why there isn't one for vehicle parts.
Hi,

there is a new Humveejeep, that looks great. But how´s about a new freightliner with additional mobile HQ in the back, maybe as a trailer.
Wouldn´t that be a great thing. In the front a freightliner and inside the trailer a mobile HQ.

Please replay if anyone has got a opinion.

Softblader:)