Primers and Paints for Customs [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Primers and Paints for Customs

Big Iron
09-21-2004, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question...

I am about to start work on some Customs of the RAH and the Re-issue RAH figures and was wondering what you guys were using for Primers and also if anybody had done any testing with paints and had a recommendation for colors.

I got a beat up Breaker who needs some "Rogaine" on his beard, but I wanted to match the paint fairly good.

I also remember from back in the day that certain paints wouldn't stick to the figures or weapons for whatever reason.

Once I get this figured out, I'll start on some "projects" that until now were just mis-match Frankensteins...

Starviper1
09-21-2004, 08:42 PM
hopefully this helps
im very new to customizing but I have been using Zinseer 1-2-3 latex primer 4.47 at Menards or any hardware store. kilz2 would work. also I ve been using delta cremecoat stencil paints they work really well (cheap 87 cents) or others you can find at walmart or hobbylobby. the only problem Ive been having is getting the paint to stay on the joints. They get scrapped away but for head designs and torso painting works good. GL.

gabbyb3
09-28-2004, 08:47 AM
use a plastic prep/cleaner before you paint.. if you do not prime area it will scratch off..as the paint that hasbro uses is whats called a self etching paint.. wich means when applied it will seep into the pores of the platic.. use a high quality hobby paint{ i use testers modle master or tamiya...there is another one cant remember it. its from england, kind of pricey but is awsomee will post it when i look up the name}. use a light peimer{ use light primer for light colors. dark for darker colors..i nornally use a gray/ beige primer for any painting..i have about 3-6 custom hiss 1's if you need any more questions answered{ i have placed in the top 10 for tamiya military model diarams for a few years} e mail me at gabbyb3@hotmail.com