View Full Version : Article: 12 toys from the '80s that didn't take off

cageyJG
04-15-2014, 09:26 AM
12 Toys From The 1980s That Didn't Take Off | Mental Floss (http://mentalfloss.com/article/31875/12-toys-1980s-didnt-take)

Always love these easy reads.

Miss my Army Ants. My siblings had Barnyard Commandos.

I wonder if buying all the Chuck Norris stuff off the shelves would've been a good investment.

Alchemist
04-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Rock Lords are my favorite out of those lines. I got into the line late when I was a kid. So, I got what I could still get at retail and made some trades to get some more. Years after they were no longer available in stores, I met a guy at our local flea market that was selling them for next to nothing still MOC. One of the things that I really liked about Rock Lords was that since they were rocks that transformed into robots, their scale was flexible and they could be used with just about any toy line. I remember I ended up with two Magmars and I used them as stone giants that guarded an entrance to a passageway between to makeshift mountains. The other thing that was really great about them is they were tough. I never broke one.

Air Raiders was another line that I really liked. I had just about everything from it. I, also, had quite a few Army Ants.

Currahee_Chris
04-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Shocked to see Sectaurs on that list. My brother and I had them all- except the Hyve. Well, I guess I do see it now as I do fondly recall picking them up at KB for like $9 each on sale (I was just talking to my wife about this wed night after watching toy hunter). Still, the artwork was phenomenal, the puppet bugs were scary as hell and they were definately very playable. Still, probably was too hard to compete against He Man.

I think the Chuck Norris stuff may very well have been a good "investment". His popularity is always on or off. Who knows.
Those Police Academy figures look stupid as anything.
I was taking mental notes to see how many of these figures were post 1986- more than half- wonder if the NES was starting to creep into the Action Figure market and cause problems or if the market was just saturated with action figures. A lot of those toys just look stupid.

Labyrinth
04-18-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't care what anyone says .... the name Burgerdier General is genius.

Mercer
05-10-2014, 03:30 PM
I had some of those super naturals, I think I got them at KB on clearance. I had the Native American and the short magician. I thought the holograms were cool. I always pretend they were Heman bad guys. Also had the rock guy Heman similar to Rock Lords, Rockon I think was his name

pawaterdragon
05-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Lets not forget Bionic six and spiral zone and Tiger sharks