Any Mexican Boxed Joes Collectors? (Pics) [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Any Mexican Boxed Joes Collectors? (Pics)

jabba the drunk
09-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Hey all!

I thought this thread could be a good discusion of the Mexican boxed Joes, for those of us who really dig these figs! (and...just a smidgeon of 'limelighting' my recent purchse :D )

Below are some pics of six Mexican boxed Joes I recently lucked-out and bought. I already had the Destro (which seems to have been opened at some point :( ), and georgeous condition Snake Eyes.

I LOVE the Mexican packaging. These figure window boxes are unique, in that they were only released i Mexico. I just find them incredibly attractive. And I know there are a bunch of guys here, who share enthusiasm for these Mexican figs.

The Cobra Soldier and Cobra Officer are the really tough ones to find. There were a few auctions for some a couple of months ago, and I think they were won by board members.

So, lets talk Mexican boxed Joes! If you have some, take some pics and add them to the thread! I know there is alot of interest to see them!.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~phubner/Mexican%20Joe%20Collection%20Full.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~phubner/Mexican%20Joes%20Left.jpg

http://www.frontiernet.net/~phubner/Mexican%20Joes%20Right.jpg

-Peter

GBPackRat
09-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Man, I envie you...

Those look great. I would love to get one sometime, and then slide it into a nice custom case just for display purposes.

How much do the figures boxed normally run?

Tanner

jabba the drunk
09-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, I'm not quite sure of what they normally go for Tanner. Months ago, I paid $200 for the Snake-Eyes (which I now consider a great buy, due to it's condition).

The Mexican boxed figs have been getting more interest, and the prices have risen. I consider myself lucky, in that these 6 figures averaged at $45 per figure. This might be the going rate, though. I'm not sure.

I'm wondering why the pics aren't showing up, though. They are linked correctly using the vBB code, and should be appearing. I've checked my site, and images are still being shown from there on other boards. So...I'm wondering if there has been an image policy change recently?

-Peter

GBPackRat
09-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Peter,

This might be why they aren't displayed in the thread...

http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=13937

But the links work and I got to see them there...

Wow $45 per figure! That's a steal. Honestly, I have no idea what there price is, but wow, I wouldn't mind paying $45-$60 for one.

I hope there are a few around when I go to buy one sometime when $45-$60 isn't a big deal (sucks to be in college and flat broke).

Tanner

PS: Peter, do you know how many there are?

scwv
09-24-2004, 03:09 PM
yeah those are great prices. i actually just have loose mexican joes. none boxed. i plan on getting some though if they become available!

mishu2nite
09-24-2004, 06:13 PM
I was selling them last year, You might be one of those who bought one from me, I had a bunch of the snake eyes. The is no cobra commander I believe or officer. The hardest 2 figs to get are the girl and the storm shadow. I kept 4 figs for myself, all c9.5 except the storm shadow, he's like c8.5+ , tape broke at top and has very minor wear. I also have snake eyes, flash and rock n' roll. I dig the mexican boxed figures, I collect megos, and these boxed figures remind me of the fist fighter mego boxes. I wished they released retro boxes for the newer figs.

jabba the drunk
09-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Yep, that's me! I bought the one Snake Eyes from you, and Dockingbay bought another from you. Both were really great items.

I completely agree that the boxes of the Mexican figs were really appealling. The box with the see through window was a great way to sell these figures. It makes them look "much more" than an action figure, even though that is what they are.

Care to share any pictures of the ones you decided to keep? I'd love to take a look, and it'd be great to see more pics in this thread!

-Peter

Tattoo Shane
09-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Damn Peter, you've got a lot more of those bad boys than i thought...you just need to get yourself some of Oscar's custom cases for those now!

You can see just how nice they look: http://www.tattoosandtoys.com/images_toys_gijoe/MexCaseF.jpg

You can definately count me in the camp of those who really like these figures...so far i only have Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. I was hoping to get a few more when i was in Mexico City but i didn't see any single pack ones, just the ones with the mini vehicles and they were in terrible boxes.

I think as far as prices go, for the more run of the mill characters anywhere between $5 and 70 is an acceptable price. Of course figs like Snake and SS go for more...

dirtyroastbeef
09-25-2004, 10:52 AM
i've been looking to buy some of these for a while, but cant find any for sale. if anyone knows where to look on the web (always checking ebay) or anyone that has some for sale please let me know. thanks!

GBPackRat
09-27-2004, 12:48 PM
I too would like to know...

I wouldn't mind a run of the mill character for $20 - $30.

Tanner

dockingbay97
09-27-2004, 01:08 PM
I was selling them last year, You might be one of those who bought one from me, I had a bunch of the snake eyes.

Yep, I got one of those from you :)

front
http://www.geocities.com/dockingbay97/mex1.jpg

back
http://www.geocities.com/dockingbay97/mex2.jpg

I wish I could have a whole set but I need other things more right now.

And yes, you should consider Oscar's cases for them. Thanks to Shane for doing all the footwork getting him the correct sizing, it fits them sooooo well.

Snow
09-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Dock, How much was the case?

BIGFAN
09-27-2004, 02:46 PM
i just recently got a hold of these!

BIGFAN
09-27-2004, 02:56 PM
and! these

dockingbay97
09-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Dock, How much was the case?

I can't remember for sure. Maybe Shane does.

My guess is it was in the $12-15 range. Nice quality cases.

http://www.kennertoys.com/cases/cases.htm

mishu2nite
09-27-2004, 07:34 PM
I will see if I can get pics this weekend. I'm in tampa bay, and we just went through a hurricane again, so everything was boxed up in plasic bags, and plastic boxes. I dig it out this week and take a couple of pics of them for you guys.

KrymsynGardImmoral
10-01-2004, 08:32 PM
I got really lucky with some of these. While i don't have any of the truly cool ones like the Soldier or Officer, or the destro (grrrrrrrpete), I have a friend that just needed the loose figures for a project, so he traded me 9 nice boxes at this past con. I have another friend that goes to the mexican Star Wars show, and brings me back all the loose Joes he finds, so i had figures for every box. I also won a Flash from Airedevon off Ebay last year.

tai95
10-01-2004, 09:10 PM
I only have one mexican figure as of right now, But in the future who knows. They are great figures it just seems to be hard to find them in decent shape because of the box flap. Every figure I have seen always has some sort of crease damage at the flap. I really would like to find the Destro with the mountain climber boxed together.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/tai95/Destro/MVC-841F.jpg

krymsyngard666 you need to take a better picture of those figures. They are to nice to hide in such a small photo.

mishu2nite
10-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Sorry it took me a little longer to get pics up. These are really some nice boxes, I have never seen boxes this nice before. They are all AFA worthy, Just don't plan on selling them, but when I do, I probably will try AFA. I'm lazy, yes that is the sticker still on snake eyes from when I bought them years ago. Well thanks again for the terrific post, I love the boxed mexican figures, and maybe we can get some more pics. Enjoy Jonathan, mishu2nite

jabba the drunk
10-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Man...this is really turing out to to be a great thread for Mexican Boxed Joe collectors!

Shane, the Oscar acrylic case that you had specially made to fit these Mexican boxes looks absolutely fantastic. I do indeed plan on purchasing them for these Mexican Joes. There is nothing like a nice acrylic case to make an item look so appealling.

DB, that is one fine looking Snake Eyes! I think you and I lucked-out with getting these cool items from Jonathan. And to think...he has more!

Curt, those are some sweet pick-ups! I'm sure you'll be getting contacted by many interested parties, if they haven't been sold already. These Mexican Joes seem to be really gaining popularity.

Dave...you have a Destro? SWEET! Congratulations on obtaining this rare Destro item. Though I have a Destro, it's not 100% b/c the accessory bag has been removed, unfortunately. So, I'm still on the look-out for another.

Jonathan, those Stormshadow and Snake Eyes look pretty much immaculate. I thought the Snake Eyes you sold me was in top condition, but the one you are showing looks to be even sweeter. I don't think I've ever seen nicer condition boxed Joes with the Stormshadow & S.E. Really nice collection.

Now...all we need are pics of some of the villians! Cobra, Cobra Soldier, Torch. And of course, the other Joes. :)

-Peter

scwv
10-10-2004, 09:36 PM
are those window boxes covered with a clear plastic??? if so i have to be honest thats the first time i ever seen boxed mexican joes with an actual clear window cover.

TURNA
10-10-2004, 09:45 PM
If anyone wants to sell there Mexican Flash figure Let me know

Pete The Greek
10-10-2004, 10:47 PM
I only have 5 figures from Mexico.

Snake Eyes, Stalker, Cobra Soldier, Cobra Officer and my holy grail (to what Destro is to Pete or Jubba The Drunk) Mutt. The problem is there are two boxed Mexican Mutt's (and I only have the less artistist version).

The only two pictures I have taken is for the Cobra Soldier and Officer. I am very lucky to get them and thus I don't brag about them.

Peter

jabba the drunk
10-11-2004, 06:35 AM
The only two pictures I have taken is for the Cobra Soldier and Officer. I am very lucky to get them and thus I don't brag about them.

Peter

There the are! :) I knew I remembered a fellow board member having those two. I wouldn't be hesitant at all to show these off, Peter. Sure, some people "might" think it's bragging, but I'm sure there are tons more people who are psyched you have these and are willing to show them to the board.

I say show them off with pride! Also if you haven't done so, definitely take some nice clear pictures and sumbit them to the Yojoe Archive. I know acmirro often is the admin who updates the foreign Joes section. They'd be a great reference to other collectors.

Great items and thanks for contributing them to the thread!

scwv, I was thininking that perhaps you've seen the Mexican boxed Joes that have the yellow inside cardboard, and that's what makes you think that many of the Mexican Joes have yellowed plastic? A quick look at my collection, and I don't notice ANY of them having the yellowed plastic. But there definitely were some that were released with the white cardboard background and some with the yellow. Just a thought.

-Peter

Pete The Greek
10-11-2004, 09:15 AM
I say show them off with pride! Also if you haven't done so, definitely take some nice clear pictures and sumbit them to the Yojoe Archive. I know acmirro often is the admin who updates the foreign Joes section. They'd be a great reference to other collectors.

Ed Dam or (Damed Viper) had first crack at them from Mike at Bountyhuntertoys. I hold Ed to a high degree as he was the first Canadian Joe collector that I knew that had his collection online in the late 1990s and contributed to some of the earlier foreign figures that people observe on yojoe.com. I was next in line to get a crack at them if Ed passed up on them. I didn't think Ed would pass on them but one day @ Mike's store, Mike said there yours if you wanted them. I found out later there were 2 other interested parties in them if I passed. I wasn't going to pass as I wanted the guys. But I don't want to brag either that I have them either for my respect to Ed (in case he observes this thread and he had second doubts in passing them over). I have submitted pictures of the boxes, figure comparisons etc. back in the spring but nothing online so far. Oh well.

scwv
10-11-2004, 01:03 PM
if u look at the snake eyes in the post it has a price sticker on it. and it is on the window section so there has to be a clear window cover.

mishu2nite
10-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Yes, there is plastic on the windows of all of them. All of them are store stock and sealed with original tape, except the Storm shadow, which the plastic tape dried out and poped off on one side. As far as the codra officer, I heard they were never produced from the person who sold me these many years ago. It is nice to see them, and that they do exiest. I never tried to seek one out, but now I may have to. Thanks for the pics of the cobras.

dirtyroastbeef
10-11-2004, 04:51 PM
i'm dying to find some of these, if anyone has some for sale or knows someone that does, let me know pls. thanks

mishu2nite
10-11-2004, 05:17 PM
What figures are you looking for?? Any?? Box condition?? Email me, I have a friend that used to have some, I can check with him next week when he comes back. [email protected]

Tattoo Shane
10-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Peter, it's the guy who was next in like after Pete to get those Cobra Soldiers or Officers who might think he was bragging. ;) :P

Just kidding Pete, you know i'm glad you were able to get those figures from Mike and i'm glad they're still north of both borders. :)

jabba the drunk
10-11-2004, 10:48 PM
if u look at the snake eyes in the post it has a price sticker on it. and it is on the window section so there has to be a clear window cover.

D'oh! Like an idiot, I totally misunderstood your post, scwv.

I thought that you meant that you never saw a clear plastic window covering, as opposed to one where the clear plastic has yellowed with age. Now I understand what you had posted. As Jonathan mentioned, all the Mexican boxed Joes had that clear plastic film window on the box. It's another added touch that really makes these stand out over other foreign items, IMO.

Do you guys think we can come up with a general "rarity" list for these? Of course it wouldn't be precise, but maybe we can list what we know.

I would think that the Cobra and Cobra Soldier are the hardest to find. I was told by Ron Conner that they hadn't sufaced, but this was before the ones that Pete has. Also I've heard that Breaker (I think) hasn't been seen. (but I'm not sure on that one).

I've personally can't recall seeing Doc, Scarlet, Spirit, Short Fuze, and Mutt (the non-accesory pack one).

One's I've seen most often are Rock N Roll, Stalker, Snake Eyes, Zap, Grunt/Footloose, Airborne, Recondo, Destro, Stormshadow and Blowtorch.

What do you guys think?

-Peter

mishu2nite
10-12-2004, 08:49 AM
The toughest would be the cobras, then scarlett, then storm shadow, then last the destro. I have seen all of them personally but the cobras and the scarlett. But don't get me wrong, they are all tough, especially in high grade. All mexican toys are that way in general. Most times, (not with the 3 3/4 joes) the toys were made of inferior plastics, and were more breakable. Also I think it had to do with the culture, very well played with most of there toys, in that they were mostly though of toys, and never saved, but that is my opinion and speculation from collecting other toys.

jabba the drunk
10-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Jonathan, you've seen a Breaker and Doc? Sweet. I can't recall ever seeing these two in particular, in photos etc. Would you by chance have any pictures saved of these? I'd love to finally see these two, in particular.

-Peter

mishu2nite
06-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Wow, I know this an old post, but after my purchase of a house and move, I discovered an empty snake eyes box, no insert, but pretty nice, a little rippling near the window, but really pretty nice. No figure of course, but if someone is interested in it, LMK, trade or cash. I know this isn't the selling place, but figured, only a select few would be interested in this piece. looking for 50. With a version one snake eyes, and insert, it would easily bring 150+. I will take pics tonight. [email protected]

cou.cou84
06-21-2005, 01:56 PM
wow!
those boxes are cool
they make the figures look highter....

mishu2nite
08-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I know this post is a bizillion years old, but I have someone that is addiment on purchasing the storm shadow. Does anyone know of someone besides me that has one. I originally thought they were easier to get then a couple of the other figures, but now I would put it at the hardest only behind the cobra commander and soldier.

Tattoo Shane
08-27-2008, 08:01 PM
I know of quite a few Storm Shadows out there. They're not that tough to find so if the person is patient, they should be able to find one.

road_block
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
where can mexico storm shadow mib be found shane?

Shadow_Contact
08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
To all of you guys with mexican figures.... you sux.....Just kidding...... no, you sux :)

onPoint
08-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Hey all!

I thought this thread could be a good discusion of the Mexican boxed Joes, for those of us who really dig these figs! (and...just a smidgeon of 'limelighting' my recent purchse :D )

Below are some pics of six Mexican boxed Joes I recently lucked-out and bought. I already had the Destro (which seems to have been opened at some point :( ), and georgeous condition Snake Eyes.

I LOVE the Mexican packaging. These figure window boxes are unique, in that they were only released i Mexico. I just find them incredibly attractive. And I know there are a bunch of guys here, who share enthusiasm for these Mexican figs.

The Cobra Soldier and Cobra Officer are the really tough ones to find. There were a few auctions for some a couple of months ago, and I think they were won by board members.

So, lets talk Mexican boxed Joes! If you have some, take some pics and add them to the thread! I know there is alot of interest to see them!.

-Peter

Yeah Pete, these figures are great. I have had mine for quite a long time and love 'em. The packaging is really cool. I just wish I could find the two Cobra figures. :rolleyes: If anyone wants to see some of the ones I have, visit the international archives... ;)

As for prices, I wish I got mine for $45 each or something even close to that. Oh well, I have no regrets. They are great!

Tattoo Shane
08-28-2008, 09:11 PM
where can mexico storm shadow mib be found shane?

Just like anything foriegn, or harder to find: through networking, making friends in other countries, searching ebay, mercadolibre and making it known in communities such as this that you're looking for certain pieces. It might not be easy but patience is an absolute requirement in this hobby.

dockingbay97
08-31-2008, 06:14 PM
I am so glad this thread was brought up from the dead. These are way too cool to be ignored. I think they are really cool and make a very unique addition to any Joe collection.

road_block
08-31-2008, 08:58 PM
I am so glad this thread was brought up from the dead. These are way too cool to be ignored. I think they are really cool and make a very unique addition to any Joe collection.

I agree with you Tanner. Its not easy to find Mexican Gi joes Mib. Have a hard time locating them. :)

TURNA
08-31-2008, 09:03 PM
I found my Flash so Im happy

Tattoo Shane
08-31-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm only 8 short of a full set (minus the bonus packs, which i'm not too interested in) so i'm hoping it's a run i can complete at some point over the next couple of years.

r07a23c
08-31-2008, 11:49 PM

I'm glad, too! I didn't even know these existed! (I know, I know, I'm ashamed I wasn't aware of these). I'm not really an MOC, or in this case, MISB collector, but these look great!

road_block
09-01-2008, 12:13 AM
how many figures in total for the mexican gi joe line, not including the creatures?

Tattoo Shane
09-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Not including the bonus packs i believe there are 20 MIB figures, possibly 21.

Pete The Greek
09-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Not including the bonus packs i believe there are 20 MIB figures, possibly 21.

You are only counting the ones with the artwork right, not the ones with the Motorized Action Packs?

If so, these are the figures I know that have the artwork from Mexico:

Antorcha (Blowtorch)
Breaker
Cheetah (Stalker)
Cobra
Destro
Dinamita (Short Fuze)
Doc
Flash
Lobo Solatario (Snake Eyes)
Mutt (I saw this only once listed on Brian's Toys)
Oficial Cobra (Cobra Officer)
Ponch (Torch)
Recondo
Rock & Roll
Scarlett
Soga (Ripcord)
Sombre Blanca (Storm Shadow)
Spirit
Vagabundo (Grunt)
Volador (Ripcord)
Zap

total = 21

I have not seen any MOC versions of these figures with the packaged art work.

Barbecue
Bazooka
Shipwreck

I have 23 of the 24 figures listed above. Only 14 of them are MOC. Not bad considering I only had 5 of them in 2004. Shipwreck is that last figure I am after for this line. I am not going to lose sleep if I don't get the rest MOC. It took me at least 4 years to hunt these down, with most of them obtained during a period when most collectors didn't pay that much attention to international items.

The beauty of Mexican boxes is that you can take the figure out with ruining the package (i.e. tearing off a glued down plastic bubble).

Tattoo Shane
09-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Yeah, 21 is the number of the ones that come in the single boxes and that was was the list i was working off. That means i'm 9 shy from the set at this point.

So at this point, the big question is if Shipwreck and Barbecue came in regular boxes or with the motorized action packs? I'd love to see it be the former and see a couple new ones come to light in the line!

kurthalsey
09-16-2008, 04:20 PM
i've been looking to buy some of these for a while, but cant find any for sale. if anyone knows where to look on the web (always checking ebay) or anyone that has some for sale please let me know. thanks!

Final Frontier has more than a few, but they are 175 plus dollars, to 225 and 325 for some others... not cheap!

Spirit was just on ebay, but it was graded. Edit- that went for 500 dollars!!

dawg99
09-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Final Frontier has more than a few, but they are 175 plus dollars, to 225 and 325 for some others... not cheap!

Spirit was just on ebay, but it was graded. Edit- that went for 500 dollars!!
final frontier is that a website?

kurthalsey
09-16-2008, 04:53 PM
final frontier is that a website?

Yep! Frank is super cool and nice, especially helpful and talkative on the phone if you call about a piece. He knows he's got good stuff though so his prices can be a little up there IMHO.

finalfrontiertoys and then dot com it!