European exclusive items [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : European exclusive items

Blitzwingz
10-02-2004, 04:54 AM
Why does everybody always refer to these exclusives as "UK-stuff", even if they were available in all of Europe? It would almost be the same for me (as a european) to refer to Cobra de Aço and Ninja Ku as "american exclusives"...

scwv
10-02-2004, 12:47 PM
just a term that has taken hold really. basically everybody knows that the figures were made throughout europe. UK is quicker then typing european.

Obiwanjacoby
10-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Also, didn't Action Force begin in the UK?

Sure as heck didn't begin in Spain :p

-PJ

Blitzwingz
10-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Also, didn't Action Force begin in the UK?

Sure as heck didn't begin in Spain :p

-PJ
yes it did, but then how do you explain UK-Mutt, UK-Spirit and UK-CGI?:)

Obiwanjacoby
10-02-2004, 09:22 PM
yes it did, but then how do you explain UK-Mutt, UK-Spirit and UK-CGI?:)

Okay. I see where you're coming from.

I got a UK exclusive TF Psyche-Out, right? Now, the only reason I know that he's a UK exclusive is because he's carded (text is in English).

Now if he was loose, I could say he's either "Psyche-Out" or "Psycho" (his French/Dutch codename), but the latter name would mislead the English speaking collectors (as this is an English speaking forum).

So since we're using English code-names we're referring to the UK exclusives when we could just as easily (and at the same time) possibly be referring to their identical Euro counterparts. Make sense? :)

Whew! That was tough.:D

-PJ

Northwinds
10-03-2004, 03:21 AM
Personally I usually refer to these European exclusives as "Euro Exclusives".
Although 1 or 2 times when selling a Tiger Force Outback or so on Ebay I did use "UK Exclusive" in the auction title just because it saved me a bit of space !

To justify the use of "UK Exclusive" on AF toys because AF originated in the UK is not a valid reason imo. They were sold all over europe, so there was no exclusivity for the UK at all.

I agree with Marc that UK exclusive ,technically, is not the right name.
However I think that is too widespread already to think that people will stop using the term.

Blitzwingz
10-03-2004, 03:37 AM
Okay. I see where you're coming from.

I got a UK exclusive TF Psyche-Out, right? Now, the only reason I know that he's a UK exclusive is because he's carded (text is in English).

Now if he was loose, I could say he's either "Psyche-Out" or "Psycho" (his French/Dutch codename), but the latter name would mislead the English speaking collectors (as this is an English speaking forum).

So since we're using English code-names we're referring to the UK exclusives when we could just as easily (and at the same time) possibly be referring to their identical Euro counterparts. Make sense? :)

Whew! That was tough.:D

-PJ
not really, but that could be because english isn't my first language. Do you think you could explain it to me in Dutch?:)

The way I see it is when you label a figure UK-exclusive, you're saying that particular figure is not available outside of that specific region. But since this same variation was also available troughout the whole of Europe (although under several different names) your definition becomes a bit limited in it's meaning.
And also, in The Netherlands the "UK-exclusive" Spirit had exactly the same name as in UK or the US (and the same goes for Mutt in Belgium/france), so how are you going to explain that?

Shoulden't you just look at the mold instead of the name? Because if you use the name as a condition for the term "exclusive" then I have 200+ european Exclusives, because practically all figures were given different names.

I hope this all makes sense:)

JustinBarnhill
10-03-2004, 09:44 AM
I hope this all makes sense:)

it does, but i think the real point is that the collecting group on whole call most european figures "uk exclusives". it isn't a jab at european collectors or anything...thats just what most people call them.

kinda like i could say "joe vs cobra", "spy troops", "valor vs venom" or just "new sculpt" when talking about the newer figures as a collective.

make sense?

JustinBarnhill
10-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Why does everybody always refer to these exclusives as "UK-stuff", even if they were available in all of Europe? It would almost be the same for me (as a european) to refer to Cobra de Aço and Ninja Ku as "american exclusives"...

not really b/c cobra de aco wasn't available in the US. i mean we arent talking about a continental divide here when we call a spanish exclusive mutt figure "uk mutt". ;)

it would be like calling a canadian downtown and "american downtown"...bc that figure was sold both here in the states and canada with no real diff other than maybe the real name on the filecard.

BelgianGabber
10-03-2004, 01:23 PM
I sometimes put down 'UK' exclusive too because some people only seem to know them that way...

Obiwanjacoby
10-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Okay, since this seems to be going over some people's heads, let me put it another way.

If I am on an English speaking board, I'm not going to post a thread saying: "For Sale, AFA 80 Preciser MOSC"

You had to look that one up, didn't you? :D

Yeah, so did I. :rolleyes: That's my entire point in a nutshell.

Instead, I'm going to list the figure as an "Italian Exclusive AFA 80 Downtown MOSC". Because it'll reach more buyers. Plus Downtown is simply the more widely recognized code-name on english speaking websites, despite the fact that it's not his Italian name.

Now let's take the same example above, only applying it to the UK Joes. I'm not going to go on ebay and say I have a "Loose C-9 Psycho for sale", if I'd rather sell the more well-known "UK Exclusive Tiger-Force Psyche-Out".

Yes, it's the same exact figure. But what's in a name?

Alot. It's about name recognition and popularity and who identifies with what on the largest scale. You have no idea how sorry I am not being able to speak Dutch (but personal reasons aside), I know that certain Joes are more well-known by their English code names. Sorry, there's just more people that collect Joes who speak English than Dutch.

So that, IMO is the theory of the answer behind this thread.

But just a theory, so keep it cool.

-PJ

Obiwanjacoby
10-03-2004, 04:51 PM
I sometimes put down 'UK' exclusive too because some people only seem to know them that way...

Well put. You explained it better than I did.

-PJ

BelgianGabber
10-03-2004, 08:48 PM
I'd like to put down 'Belgian exclusive' but who cares then :)

If something is called that way by everybody, it's just best to leave it that way I guess, even if it's not the 'correct' term...

JeffreyKabal
10-08-2004, 04:27 AM
people from the UK call it UK items.
But it is said that people from the UK also think that the UK isn´t part of Europe. Well they know it is, but because they´re an Island theres some distance between them and Europe. I don´t mean it like 54 km or 45 miles, but like they rather don´t want to be a part of Europe.
Well this is what is most commonly said about citizens of the UK / Great Britain.
That´s why they define the European Items as UK items and not as European Items. I never heard an Italian guy say that TF Tunnelrat is an Italian exclusive. And because there are more UK collectors and they speak the same language as Americans, most Americans took over this Uk exclusive defenition.

Well that´s what I think.

By the way: We have a commercial here abouta cooperative bank which was formed by farmers. In the commercial the Dutch guy who represents the bank (Rabo bank) is been laughed at. But when he says they are the biggest internet bank in Europe and English woman asks her husband if they belong to Europe as well. " I´m afraid so" said the man.
MAybe it´s just a sterotype, but that´s the way English people are known in Europe.