Question about submitting figure images [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Question about submitting figure images

Ridureyu
10-03-2004, 06:33 PM
I remember reading on this board while lurking that casual visitors to the site can submit better images of certain figures if they have them. To what extent does this apply?

For example, if I were to send higher-res front and back pics of the Bio-Viper and Monstro-Viper than are already on the site, would that count? (For one thing, the front and back shot would be different, at least). Or if I had a rare variant that I had the guts to take *out* of its packaging, could I take front and back pics of it and send them in? What about older figures wherein the only images of them are low-res and the figures in question have paint chips?

And finally, in the "Toys commonly mistaken for G.I. Joe," if I discover a new kind of bootleg/knockoff, may I submit images of those, too?

Thanks!

Jeff Bohn
10-04-2004, 11:14 AM
We are always looking for upgraded pictures (better quality, more complete images, etc), they can be submitted to [email protected]

What happens in those cases is that we'll keep the original image credit on the figure page, and then say Additional Images from the collection of: Whomever. Nothing against the original submitter, we still appreciate the effort of sending the picture in, but the goal is to have the best and most complete pictures.

Bootlegs, yes, we are interested in any new bootleg line that is based on G.I.Joe or uses G.I.Joe molds in any way.

Right now I'm about 2 weeks behind on adding images, so don't be surprised if there is a bit of a delay! Now that I've got the new figures added, I'm currently working on adding a lot of Battle Corps carded front and back pics, and the ever growing Dan Moore wing of YoJoe! ;)

Thanks
Jeff

Ridureyu
10-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Excellent! As soon as I can snag a digital camera, I'll send

1. Pictures of the "Police SWAT Team" bootlegs that I found at the grocery store

2. Uncarded front and back pics of a Mexican Carcass repaint

3. Better-resolution front and back pics of the Monstro-Viper and Bio-Viper

And while I'm at it, do you want the same for Golobulus?

dmooretoys
10-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Jeff,

I haven't even started on my bootlegs or paperwork--I know I've got at least 50 paper items that aren't on the site. I'll see if I can post more pics over the four-day weekend.....sorry!

Dan Moore

AVAC
10-05-2004, 12:15 AM
To add on to this Jeff, is there any interest in adding pictures of vehicles, etc. with Canadian markings? I believe most pictures on the site are of Vehicles, etc. with USA markings on them. I am sure there are a lot of members here that would be happy to submit photos of vehicles, etc. with Canadian markings if you would like to expand that direction.

Also, I see almost all of the new stuff that is added to the site has your name attached to it as being the one that submitted it. All I can say is you must have one heck of a budget to grab everything that comes out. Thanks to you and everyone else involved in keeping things updated.

Ridureyu
10-05-2004, 12:35 AM
I posted that list here specifically so I'd be obligated to do it.

dmooretoys
10-05-2004, 08:53 PM
I posted that list here specifically so I'd be obligated to do it.
If you are replying to my post about my bootlegs don't worry--I don't have any of the items you mentioned, and even if I did I wouldn't post pics of them since you wanted to. I do have some other bootlegs that I will post pics of, though.

Dan

Ridureyu
10-05-2004, 10:55 PM
sorry - I mean, my post about what I'm doing is so that I won't forget to post them when I get ahold of a camera! It had nothing to do with you. Basically,

Rid states what he will do = Rid does it

Rid uses no specifics = Rid forgets about it in three working days.

Ridureyu
10-12-2004, 04:05 PM
Update: I have the items, and should be able to use a camera tonight The only problem is, the Bio-Viper that I picked up to replace the one that I lost from my childhood (Waaaaah) has a slightly damaged tentacle. I should be able to conceal that fact in the pictures, though.

(edit) The pictures have been sent. PM me if they don't arrive.

AVAC
10-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Jeff, just curious if you or another staff could address my above question when you get a chance (see post #5 in this thread). Thanks in advance!

dockingbay97
10-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Jeff, just curious if you or another staff could address my above question when you get a chance (see post #5 in this thread). Thanks in advance!

Speaking as someone who stays out of that side of the site, I can tell you that Jeff and co. are hard at work adding stuff all the time.

Because of the glut of stuff that needs to be added, I think that they are trying to make sure they get the new figures/vehicles added before variations of past items. Not to say those things are going to be overlooked, I think they just get pushed back a bit by the ton of new releases we get now.

Also remember that no member of the staff is fulltime or paid. We all are using up our personal time when it comes to help running the site. It would be a lot easier to keep the site 100% up to date with a dedicated 40 hour/week staff.

They will get to it.

Jeff Bohn
10-27-2004, 09:39 AM
What he said!

We would like images of the Canadian Vehicles, but they'll end up low on the totem pole of me getting them updated (so, eventually!). Yeah, that answers your question, but I'll elaborate on the priorities.

Basically it goes like this in terms of priority (for me at least), mostly due to the fact that anything older or not a figure or vehicle just doesn't bring in the traffic...

New Figures
New Vehicles
New anything else
Older misc Merchandise
Older variations, intl stuff, etc

With a huge holiday season, I know in the next couple weeks I'll be working on the 2 TRU six packs, Wave 2 of the Single Packs, and eventually the KB exclusive Crimson set as top priorities. Plus wave 6 in November? Overload!

Also (and selfishly), I tend to put up things that I've got waiting on my desk before other people's, just to clear up clutter in my "office" and to not annoy the girlfriend or have my daughter wanting to rip it all up!

What else is getting in the way of constant updates? Hmmm, actually going full time on my real job is making me juggle around my schedule (but that's a really good thing, I need the cash), new TV season has taken away some time (Lost, Desp Housewives, Survivor, new Scrubs, that's 3.5 hours a week I had two months ago! Arrested Development is back soon, that's another half hour.) Also looking to upgrade and get a new job, so there's some more time. And, even more fun, a sick daughter and girlfriend! Oh yeah, and in August I moved in with my girlfriend, so I've had to adjust to a real sleeping schedule. Before that, I went to bed whenever, didn't have to worry about sneaking into the room so I didn't wake her up, or her being upset that I wasn't coming to bed at a decent hour! So much for the 3AM site updates! :)

Wow, I guess I'm in a talkie mood today. Anyway, that's what's going on in my life, and entirely too much information, I should've just answered the question and shut up!

Graz73
10-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Are there joe related things that you intentionally avoid posting?
The new VvV mini comics are not on the site.

I have several mini-comics that I'd like to scan, resize and send in, but you sometimes don't post stuff like that, just the covers.

I read the first 2 GI Joe cereal comics on your site, but the third issue only shows a cover. Was this intentionally left out? I've got part 3 that I could scan.

Jeff Bohn
10-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Any of the newer items like the mini comics I don't post in full because Hasbro is still producing them and using them in products. The Spy Troops comics were reused in the mini viewers, and the first two VvV comics were collected into the full size one with the Value Pack. As time goes on, I wouldn't feel bad about scanning the whole things though, but I'd check with Hasbro first.

We could use and would post part 3 of the cereal comic though.

Trading cards, I wouldn't mind someday scanning the whole Impel set and the 2 Comic Images set, but not a high priority. I did post all of the Search and Destroy (http://www.yojoe.com/archive/tradingcards/search.shtml) set though. We discussed doing that for the TCG but Wizards already has that on their site.

Prototypes, we've been holding back on posting a lot of the more recent ones, just because it seems that they may have originally been acquired through less than legal means. After a couple years of the figure release we may post them though.

Another thing I don't have scanned and on the site is the Spy Troops catalogs (the ones that have the comics on the back). I've got them all flattened out, but haven't gotten around to finding anyone with a gigantic scanner yet.

I don't know for sure exactly where I draw the line on some of them. I wouldn't scan a whole book or comic book, but didn't feel bad about posting all of the Sticker Album (http://www.yojoe.com/archive/books/stickalb.shtml). Just a gut feeling I guess.

Graz73
10-27-2004, 02:37 PM
I see your point about posting things that are still in print. Maybe once they are no longer available.

I would rather see comics posted on the site than many other catagories.

Some international vehicles, for example, look almost exactly like their domestic version. That's not very "Fun". Some stickers or other products just recycle art that we've already seen.

BUT Reading a previously-unknown Joe adventure (possibly written by Larry Hama) is ALWAYS a real treat.

I'll scan Starduster #3 when I get time.

would my submission get uploaded quicker if I did the HTML too? (making it match exisitng pages)

Jeff Bohn
10-27-2004, 02:40 PM
would my submission get uploaded quicker if I did the HTML too? (making it match exisitng pages)

Nope, we've got all sorts of Includes and Headers and Footers that need the dynamic information pulled, just gets kind of confusing. (Believe me, I tried that when I submitted the Image Comics section years ago, Eugene told me no and I didn't understand why until I really got to working on the site!) Thanks for offering though!

dmooretoys
10-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Jeff,

If you are busy do you want me to lay off posting pics of the misc stuff? I don't know if you saw my post with the bootleg pics but in that post I only had three of the carded Extreme Troops figures--since then I have acquired the whole set so if you are going to add them to the archives I can send pics of the others as well. I'm getting really busy with work too so I understand about not having as much time (notice I've slowed down on my posts!). I have more items I can send pics of if you want so just let me know--I would really like to see the collectibles section from 1990-present get "beefed up" a little as there really aren't that many items in the archives from those years. In fact, if you will add the pics I will focus my efforts on acquiring items from those years in particular--just let me know.

Dan Moore

AVAC
10-28-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I was just a bit curious as to where things were at and rather than assuming, I wanted to ask. I know I myself appreciate all the "free" time everyone puts in on this site as it grows and grows. Keep up the good work. I know there are a lot of great people in the community that are willing to do their part to help out (myself included).