My FIRST Custom - Mercer [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : My FIRST Custom - Mercer

Robot Rabbit
10-04-2004, 11:52 AM
OK, this isn't exactly a ground-breaking piece of custom Joe work, but it's my first of hopefully many customs (I'm working on a few more right now).

I always disliked the original Mercer figure from '87. He had that stupid orange life-jacket looking vest and those blue pants that were similar to Vipers...but in a sky blue? Totally doesn't say "ex-Cobra-Viper-turned-mercenary".

Using a beat-up v.1 Mercer figure, and a v.1 Cobra Viper figure, I made the Mercer figure I always wanted. I had to re-paint the hair (there was a lot of wear) and touch up the paint on the glove, armband and wristwatch. On the vest, I had to "black out" the Cobra logo (which was pretty much worn away--I wouldn't ruin a perfectly good Cobra logo for a custom).

I armed him with the mail-away Agent Faces shotgun, and the comic 3-pack Baroness' knife. Here he is pictured with one of his former comrades.

Richard J.
10-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Nice work! This Mercer looks much better than the original. Your paint touch ups are excellent, they look factory fresh.

The weapons are a good match I think.

Richard J.

GILTYONE
10-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Gotta start somewhere. Looks good for a first start. U should put a viper helmet on him do something like spytroops. Dremail out an old viper helmet but BE VERY CAREFUL not to make any extra holes and use burn out's sholder pads painted blue to look like sleaves. Use spytroops arm pads 4 the lower arms IMO.

Deadman2099
10-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know if Mercer was modeled after Kurt Russel? His face just looks so much like him it's uncanny.

amphigory
10-16-2004, 07:46 PM
nooch. i am not a big fan of the old sculpts, but you did a real fine job.

The Faceless Master
10-16-2004, 10:35 PM
WOW!!! I tried a custom like that but my mercer's neck always made him look like a mutated giraffe of some sort...

I just keep Mercer V2 as the Captain of the Viper legions