GI Joe too conservative? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : GI Joe too conservative?

Ridureyu
10-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Well, of the three "giants" from the 1980s - MOTU, Transformers, and GI Joe, two have gotten new cartoons - heck, even TMNT has a remake.

So, why not GI Joe?

Now, I understand that this issue has probably been raised before, but it really seems like the reason why there isn't a new GI Joe cartoon is, correct me if I'm wrong, but that the idea of patriotic American soldiers defeating terrorists may actually be too conservative for the local networks.

In fact, didn't someone here post something to that extent?

Discuss.

danyanda
10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
I would think that this falls under discussing politics.

The reason is money. Whether or not that is affected by political views, I don't know, but if Hasbro thought that it would wind up making money a weekly cartoon would be made.

Duke's_Other_Half_Brother
10-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Maybe Hasbro doesn't want to risk too much on their GIJOE license. They have permitted 2 fairly decent CGI animated films, but nothing would be greater than a new GIJOE cartoon.

Personally, I would love it if the old GIJOE cartoons were syndicated more on regular TV...maybe on ABC Family or something.

AS for the politcal aspect of it, I was disappointed that Hasbro left out the words "TERRORIST" in the description of COBRA on the toys. Too sensitive or PC? I thought they should have left it.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Richard J.
10-07-2004, 11:47 AM
AS for the politcal aspect of it, I was disappointed that Hasbro left out the words "TERRORIST" in the description of COBRA on the toys. Too sensitive or PC? I thought they should have left it.

I'm kind of glad they left it out. Hasbro gets enough flack making soldiers with, gasp!, little plastic guns! Seriously, better to not hand the crazies more ammunition.

Besides, when you get right down to it, COBRA isn't a terrorist organization.

COBRA's goal is world domination, not mass murder. They don't want to kill any particular group of people nor do they have some deep seated prejudices driving them. Cobra Commander just wants to rule the world. He's a despot, not a terrorist; a conqueror like Alexander or Napoleon, though not quite so effective.

But I do think Ridureyu is right. I don't think many of the networks would be eager to produce a new GI Joe weekly cartoon because it does have a fairly conservative ideal behind it of patriotism. There would probably be nuts on both sides attacking it, though, because crazy people always ruin everything for the rest of us.

Just my opionions, I could be wrong.

Richard J.

thorn
10-07-2004, 02:20 PM
i think it's pretty weak that they don't call cobra terrorists anymore.
- like they don't want us to think Cobra is really THAT bad.
??????????
i don't get it.
as far as the cartoon, it probably has more to do with $$$,
but there are a lot of markets these days where parent might not like the idea of
getting their kids into going to war.....

Reptilian Popinjay
10-08-2004, 02:12 AM
I would imagine that VvV is a test of sorts and the more successful it is, the more chances of a series.

I have yet to see VvV. It is always rented whenever I go to any video store (I suppose that is a good sign).

The 1980's series was a product of its time, as any new GIJOE series would be a product of this time. A lot of things (COBRA blowing up buildings and destroying landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge in that one episode) probably would not make it past censors who were afraid of offending someone post 9/11. I bet if you broadcast the Pyramid of Darkness on TV today that some idiots would call the network to complain about the "twin towers" of Extensive Enterprises and that chase through the skyscrapers between Flint/Lady J and Destro.

I would love to see a new GIJOE series that was at least the same quality (animation, production, writing) as the 1980's Sunbow series, as would we all, probably. In truth, though, because of GIJOE's subject matter, if we did get a series, it would probably either have much more fantasy elements to it or else be so watered down so no one was offended that only young children would be particularly amused by it.

I still think the absurd parachute and guns-shot-out-of-hands syndrome of the old animation did more to trivialize violence and war than showing (or at least indicating) that characters died.

10-09-2004, 06:29 AM
The 1980's series was a product of its time, as any new GIJOE series would be a product of this time. A lot of things (COBRA blowing up buildings and destroying landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge in that one episode) probably would not make it past censors who were afraid of offending someone post 9/11. I bet if you broadcast the Pyramid of Darkness on TV today that some idiots would call the network to complain about the "twin towers" of Extensive Enterprises and that chase through the skyscrapers between Flint/Lady J and Destro.

I would love to see a new GIJOE series that was at least the same quality (animation, production, writing) as the 1980's Sunbow series, as would we all, probably. In truth, though, because of GIJOE's subject matter, if we did get a series, it would probably either have much more fantasy elements to it or else be so watered down so no one was offended that only young children would be particularly amused by it.

I still think the absurd parachute and guns-shot-out-of-hands syndrome of the old animation did more to trivialize violence and war than showing (or at least indicating) that characters died.

I agree with you 100%! I think if you made a new GIJOE cartoon it would basically be "G.I.JOE Lite", in which Cobra and GIJOE were locked in never-ending battles consisting of trips to space, other dimensions, not a lot to do with actual war, but more to cater to the younger audiences.

There was a scene in VvV I liked. *SPOILER!* At one point, two Joes are believed to be killed in an explosion. Heavy Duty and Scarlett are shown at a wall lined with gold stars, and a bronze statue of the military tradition to place a soldier's helmet with his gun and boots to memorialize his death. Heavy Duty has his hands on one of the stars, clearly distraught. Of course, no JOES or COBRAS actually died during the filming of VvV: The Movie, but I did think the scene bridged the gap of reality battles for adults than kids.

Richard J.
10-09-2004, 11:27 PM
There was a scene in VvV I liked. *SPOILER!* At one point, two Joes are believed to be killed in an explosion. Heavy Duty and Scarlett are shown at a wall lined with gold stars, and a bronze statue of the military tradition to place a soldier's helmet with his gun and boots to memorialize his death. Heavy Duty has his hands on one of the stars, clearly distraught. Of course, no JOES or COBRAS actually died during the filming of VvV: The Movie, but I did think the scene bridged the gap of reality battles for adults than kids.

Just wanted to say, that was the best scene in the movie in my opinion.

Not sure if I agree with the idea that a new series would be GI Joe lite though. I think it would be very difficult to convince any network to put out a Joe cartoon where there was any real violence, but it could be done. To be honest, though, I think it's very unlikely.

Hasbro doesn't seem to be as comitted to GI Joe as they once were and there are far too many anti-military, anti-violence nut jobs that would scream about a new Joe cartoon no matter what format it took. So, while I think a good cartoon could be made, even put on the air, I don't think it's producers could long withstand the noise against it.

Just my opinions, I could be wrong.

Richard J.

10-10-2004, 07:51 AM
Just wanted to say, that was the best scene in the movie in my opinion.

Hasbro doesn't seem to be as comitted to GI Joe as they once were and there are far too many anti-military, anti-violence nut jobs that would scream about a new Joe cartoon no matter what format it took. So, while I think a good cartoon could be made, even put on the air, I don't think it's producers could long withstand the noise against it.

Just my opinions, I could be wrong.

Richard J.

No, I do agree with you there. It's just a shame that the few anti-violence, anti-military crowd would probably be louder than the many fans. Hasbro does have a tendency to let fans' requests fall on deaf ears.

Just my 2-cents.