View Full Version : Time costs

Stalker7actual
09-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Some of you might now that I build custom play sets and toy boxes for sale that go great for GI Joe's, Star Wars, and so on. My question before all of you is: What do I charge for the time it takes to build things? I don't want to cut my own throat trying to make a sale, and I don't want things to get so expensive that only Donald Trump types can afford the things. I do keep accurate time for the products that I make, keeping a stopwatch in the shop when I'm working, and deactivating when I take a water/analysis break.
I guess this is one topic that business management classes and accounting classes don't really talk about, in that how much is time worth?

grunt 4 mvp
09-24-2014, 06:52 PM
I think these things tend to be a labor of love. While you can certainly charge beyond parts, people are rarely willing to pay a fair rate for the actual time involved on these things. Hobby enthusiasts end up getting nearly nothing for the hours involved in projects (think R/C Cars, cataloguing toys, writing toy guides, etc.).
In terms of pricing a product, I think you start by looking at the value of comparable custom items and go from there. If you can't compete, them you look at cutting your end of the time or materials costs.
Just my opinion.

FireFox91
10-01-2014, 06:19 PM
I don't know you can really factor in your time by the hour on things like this. It really all depends on what someone is willing to pay for it. Lets say you make really awesome custom t-shirts and it takes you 2 hours to make the shirt + supplies. Lets say you charge $15/hour on your labor and supplies are $10. That is $40 for a t-shirt + shipping. As a customer, I'm not going to pay that. No t-shirt is worth that to me. I don't know what it is that you make put my point is that there is a limit on what most people will pay for it. Applying a flat rate to your labor might result in you not selling anything. Food for thought.

Stalker7actual
10-01-2014, 07:06 PM

Just a sample of some of the stuff I've built for sale. A toy box set up like a flat top (sorry, I don't have a picture of it finished), and a cobra tactical platform. I've got other designs of things, but having moved into an apartment and losing the space to build stuff, I haven't had a chance to build up my inventory. Once I get "hitched" and into a house with a heated pull barn or garage I'll be able to work all year long on them.

grunt 4 mvp
10-05-2014, 11:05 AM
I feel like you are also going to get priced out due to shipping costs. People don't decide on a fair price for the item, a fair price for labor and a fair price for shipping - they just decide what they want to pay in total.
Most custom stuff that I've seen be truly successful has been small, at least in my experience.
Best of luck though!