OFFICIAL Joe anime rumors!!! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Joe anime rumors!!!

Obiwanjacoby
11-19-2004, 10:08 PM
In case you haven't already heard (I know many already have). I just read a blurb about it in the Anime magazine put out by Wizard, so I looked into it further. . .

http://forums.animesuki.com/archive/index.php/t-19305.html

About the only reliable info is that Hasbro ad Gonzo studios are in on this project.

Just like to add, I know alot of you are totally against this. But that's why it's so kewl to be me. Because I like Anime, and I'm a Joe fan. I know I'd like it. :cool: So maybe we can just say Hasbro did it all for me? :D

-PJ

Richard J.
11-19-2004, 10:23 PM
So maybe we can just say Hasbro did it all for me? :D
All hail the Master of Hasbro!

Seriously, I'm with you on this. I think it will rock. Not a huge Anime fan, but that's only because most of what I've seen is the watered down for America versions. With a good Joe story and the slick animation that only Anime seems to have nowadays, it could be really good.

I just hope they continue the upward trend. Valor Vs. Venom was an improvement on Spytroops, so hopefully this one will be even better.

Richard J.

hotdog
11-19-2004, 10:36 PM
I hope its more like akira than teen titans.

Ridureyu
11-19-2004, 11:25 PM
It could be really good, or it could be really bad.

It all depends on what genre of anime they use for it.

Obiwanjacoby
11-20-2004, 01:30 PM
I hope its more like akira than teen titans.

I'm totally with you on that one, I know what you mean. I know it won't be as graphically violent as Akira, but you want it as close as possible for realism's sake.

-PJ

Ridureyu
11-20-2004, 04:15 PM
I wouldn';t necessarily say Akira, since it's way too surreal - some of the ones that've just been ported over to CN's Adult Swim might be interesting (Ghost in the SHell?). At least, we'd want their production values.

statesofeuphoria
11-21-2004, 04:21 PM
which projects have they worked on in the past? I followed the links but couldn't find anything.

Obiwanjacoby
11-21-2004, 05:05 PM
http://www.gonzo.co.jp/english/titles/index.html

I like the style. Simplistic enough to crank out alot of episodes, yet still high quality anime.

Click on Burst Angel for a stylistical hint of how Scarlett might look when rendered by the studio (see pic next to "commentary").

Samurai Seven, fourth pic down. . .I see Ferret done anime style, but this is just be cloud-watching. . .and daydreaming :D

The overall style I hope they emulate most would be after Yukikaze.

I see alot of younger heroes in the others they did, but hopefully, the Joes will be aged a bit by the creators when they develop their own character art concepts.

-PJ

Obiwanjacoby
11-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Oh. . .MAN!!! I was right about Yukikaze!!! I found the link to the main site with video downloads. . .

http://www.faf.jp/

In the opening scene, I can VISUALIZE Ace in a Conquest X-30!!!

In the Yukikaze characters, I see dead-on perfect templates for Scarlett, Mainframe, Flint, Cover-Girl, a "Reloaded" version of Rock & Roll, and last but not least. . .one of the Pilots looks like a dead-on Spirit v.1 (I kid thee not!)! :eek:

Pleasepleasepleeeease Hasbro pattern G.I.Joe after THIS one! This is as good as it gets! Please don't make it a Pokemon/Medabots clone!!!!

-PJ

Reptilian Popinjay
11-21-2004, 09:26 PM
I love anime-style (though I prefer ol' school and am less impressed by the combination computer-animation and ol' school that proliferates currently) so I would love to see GIJOE done anime-style.

In a sense, the animation in the Sunbow series was based on anime. You can see the influences most in GIJOE The Movie, but also in some of the other episodes, like the one with Cobra Commander's "fun house" in the ancient temple.

Evil Ryu
01-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Great marketing strategy on Hasbros part if they go through with this as most kids are into anime these days.

FireChief420
01-06-2005, 02:35 AM
This is going to be great! If this works out for Hasbro could we dare to hope for a Saturday morning anime?

Liokaiser
01-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Well knowing some of the cool series that Sutdio Gonzo has worked on, I really do hope that this goes thru and we get to start seeing some earlier takes on the characters.

killerclown
01-08-2005, 05:13 PM
just a fyi, Gonzo is doing the new transformers cartoon Galaxy/Cybertron. If you wanna see their style for that show, head to tfw2005.com! looks amazing!

Magna Prime
01-11-2005, 10:38 AM
I think my biggest fear is of the voice acting rather than the animation. Granted I was glad that they got rid of the "surfer dude" voice for Beach Head in Valor vs Venom, it's stuff like that that just drives me nuts when watching animation. Here's hoping for serious voice acting to go along with some serious animation.

RUMBLE
01-11-2005, 10:16 PM
I was thinking the same thing! I hope the voices go good with the characters.:D

Blight
01-29-2005, 11:02 PM
When I first learned about this project back in September I think I literally hit the roof. I've been an Anime and G.I. Joe fan for so many years I felt that God had finally answered my prayers.
I think it's going to be 10 times better then those last two fully CGI films, which in my opinion were just awful. If anyone here has never seen an Anime film or series from GONZO I recommend you do, they've done a lot of good stuff. Including Blue Submarine No.6, Hellsing, Vandread, Full Metal Panic, Yukikaze, and many more. Full Metal Panic and Yukikaze are both great Anime series that have heavy military themes and I think eximplfy how good this new film could be.
I can't wait to see "Burst Angel" when the first volume hits stores in May.
Another series I've just learned about that GONZO is producing that I'm particulary intrigued by, Trinity Blood, already looks to incorporate some rather stunning artwork. The first pieces of character artwork I found on its website look like a cross between Warhammer and Koji Igarashi's Castlevania games (Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, Curse of Darkness).
As far as the voice acting goes I only wish we could get an Anime distribution studio like ADV Films, Central Park Media, or Funimation to do the voice casting because the talen they hire when they dub their different Anime titles rocks. But then again sometimes the quality of the voices can be affected to the dialogue in the story, which I why I was worried when I heard the last two writers on Valor vs Venom were going to write the story for this film. (Oh boy!)
You can look at GONZO's other titles here as well.

GONZO Listing At AnimeNewsNetwork (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=395)

I'm hoping that Hasbro will limit the amount of input they have to the story and just the basic character backgrounds and leave direction, animation production, and character design in GONZO's hands. That'll be the real thing that decides whether this thing will be an out and out Akira-type G.I. Joe Anime or a bad Teen Titans rip off.

performula
02-12-2005, 08:24 PM
When will this come out?

Shogi
02-13-2005, 03:18 AM
voice wise I hope they don't use Funimation, I'm still a bit sour over the DBZ voice changes from way back in the day

Liokaiser
02-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Funimation I think I could take, it's 4Kids I hope they don't use, stay the heck away from them period. Put it on with the Toonami Saturday block and would be happy.

Or hmm dare I say see this on Adult Swim. (to keep snake-eyes and Storm Shadows fight scenes intact and not clipped up with a bunch of flashes)

rodney
02-15-2005, 06:59 AM
cant wait for this, the voices need something special, VvV is cool and all but obviously its not going to suit anime well. Also im not sure about it getting a saturday morning Tv slot, i'd like to see it more of an evening time show with some violence. I'd like to see it in the vein of say Street Fighter II, the characters look relatevely american in stlye but yet the animation is typically japanese. I can only hope hasbro will stay out of it and leave it up to gonzo. I cant wait for this...

CGC
02-16-2005, 06:28 PM
I guess I'm not getting my hopes up. My first impression of anime was Speed Racer. Remember that? Ugh!

I've pretty much avoided any form of it since then, but now my kids' favorite cartoons are Pokemon & Yugi Oh (sp?).

Like I said, I'm not expecting much, but I'm more than willing to give it a chance. If it puts a good Joe cartoon back on, I really hope that they prove me wrong!