87 Cobra Commander variant [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : 87 Cobra Commander variant

chad_ghost
12-06-2004, 08:28 PM
i have found a variant to the 87 CC. some of the heads were molded in flesh color and some were molded in silver.

it is noticable on paint worn figures or if you take the head off of the body. ive had several of these figs and the variant seems about half and half.

check it out here:

http://loserville.us/pics/87cc.jpg

does this count as a variant??

notpicard
12-10-2004, 04:25 AM
I'd definitely call this a variation. A really cool one too. I like variations with added value. IMO, I want one of the silver base-color plastic because if it wears at all, it won't be as noticable. I have had a ton of CC v3 too. So I wonder if I have had both at any point.

Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Kidmold
12-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Can you please post a photo of the eyes on both.

If the plastic is skin colored are the eyes the color of the plastic?

and on the Silver Plastic version is the flesh color in the eyes section then painted?

Have fun,
Fred

chad_ghost
12-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Can you please post a photo of the eyes on both.

If the plastic is skin colored are the eyes the color of the plastic?

and on the Silver Plastic version is the flesh color in the eyes section then painted?

from what i can see, both have the flesh painted on the eyes, even the flesh molded fig. it seems that the paint apps are the same, since both are painted silver as well, even the silver molded head.

RedClaw
06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
We'll get this in the archives ASAP - this is a definite variation - and a really interesting one at that!

Patrick A. Riley
06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I found 5 part flesh, 1 all silver

robot_sonic
06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
This is similar to the Motor Viper variant where the head is cast either in light blue or dark blue plastic and the rest is painted the opposite color. It seems this was a Hasbro hallmark in the vintage line and I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more variants of this type unearthed.

chad_ghost
06-14-2006, 11:00 PM
We'll get this in the archives ASAP - this is a definite variation - and a really interesting one at that!
and it only took 1 1/2 years :)

thanks RC!

(i can supply better pics if you want)

RedClaw
06-14-2006, 11:09 PM
If you have better pics, please send them to submissions@yojoe.com we'll get them in the queue.

Net-Viper X
07-13-2006, 07:36 PM
The Motor-Viper is the same way. In 86 when they first came out, the head was molded in light blue plastic. This is easily noticable on the neck because its light blue all the way around. In 87 and through mail order, his head is molded dark blue, and the neck is only light blue on the front. The entire body of the later version was also a slightly bluer "is that a word?" color than the original which was more pale.

I think AVAC may have also been this way, but Im not certain without my figures here to look at.

*Woops, I didnt realise that robot sonic had already pointed out the Motor-Viper. Thats what I get for skimming the thread too fast.*

RedClaw
07-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Anyone want to take photos/scans of the Moto-Viper?

Patrick A. Riley
07-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Motor-Viper neck variant scan
Best I could do

RedClaw
07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Added to the archives - http://www.yojoe.com/action/86/motorviper.shtml

Net-Viper X
07-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Nice to see that got added to the archives. Thought I would point out that the light blue head is most likely the rarest type, as it was only available in 86. In 87 they had dark blue heads and all mail order releases where dark blue heads. I have about a 1-8 ratio in my personal collection of Light vs Dark blue. I assume this was a quality control measure because of some bad paint wear issues with the dark paint rubbing off on the forehead and back of head.

Patrick A. Riley
07-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Nice to see that got added to the archives. Thought I would point out that the light blue head is most likely the rarest type, as it was only available in 86. In 87 they had dark blue heads and all mail order releases where dark blue heads. I have about a 1-8 ratio in my personal collection of Light vs Dark blue. I assume this was a quality control measure because of some bad paint wear issues with the dark paint rubbing off on the forehead and back of head.

I have a 6-7 split of light to dark