Where should eBay links go? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Where should eBay links go?

Propadeutic
12-20-2004, 10:58 PM
My question is prompted by (though not necessarily pursuant to) the recent discussion of the propriety of posting links to eBay auctions: If a member starts a thread about an open auction not his own, is the proper place for that thread the Toys Forum, the Auctions Forum, or Selling/Trading Q&A? Or does it depend on the purpose of the thread? On whether the auction is open or closed?

Scenario 1: I would like us all to have fun gawking at a ridiculously overpriced or otherwise hilarious Joe-related auction.

Scenario 2: I have a question about the value of a Joe item in an open auction or the accuracy/suspiciousness of the description.

Scenario 3: I find a complete Defiant due to close in 15 minutes with no bidders and a starting bid of $50. I don't want one because I'm insane, but I think the board might be interested. (Yelling "Defiant" in a crowded G.I. Joe forum?)

Scenario 4: There's an unfamiliar Joe item up for auction and I want to know what it is.

Please understand that I'm not asking about the propriety or courtesy regarding whether or not to post auctions links at all (which is evidently a contentious issue), although I'm all ears if Yojoe.com has an official opinion on that, but simply where such threads belong when they are posted.

starrcommand
12-20-2004, 11:42 PM
Personally, and Im probably the one who made u ask this, I dont think anyone should post a link to an auction that isnt your own unless it is over. If it is yours then it should go in the for auction pages.

However scenario 1 would probably be best in Toys

Scenario 2 would be a toss up between buy & sell Q&A and toys ... probably best in Q&A IMHO and u can copy the pic or pix to your hard drive and upload them into the post to ask the question about its validity.

Scenario 3 is probably best in Auctions since you want to advertise an auction thats where those types of threads are supposed to go.

Scenario 4 is another toss up between toys and Q&A. Toys would probably be best and again I would copy the pic to your hard drive and then upload it in the post and not post the link. After all if it was a rare item and your interested in it do you really want to publicize it?

Propadeutic
12-20-2004, 11:51 PM
I believe you made that clear in the last thread, and I don't want to continue a discussion that was locked down. I'm really not even interested in that issue unless Yojoe has something official to say on the matter. My question is different: assuming such posts are made, where do they go?

Patrick A. Riley
12-21-2004, 09:15 AM
They should go in the Toys section if they are not yours. If they are yours, they go in the For Sale - Auctions section. Done this way, they have never been moved.

Posting links has little effect. If someone wants something they are gonna find it whether they visit this board and see a link or not.
Auctions for rare, explensive stuff that have poor descriptions still go for high amounts, so people have ways of finding it

dockingbay97
12-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Scenario 1 - toys if it is a GI Joe item, off topic if not

Scenario 2 - buy & sell Q&A

Scenario 3/4 - toys

Scenario 3 - I am no fan of auction outing but I can't stop you from doing it. Having said that, outing the wrong auction can cause a lot of grief especially if there are board members watching the auction.

Druss
12-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Why not set a board wide policy for something like this? Either go by the rules DB posted above, anything goes, if your bidding on it tough luck or state in a FAQ or something not to post a active link to a auction that you are not the seller of. As a board fueled by collectors this can be a hot button issue so might as well deal with it. Maybe a public poll? Let the members decide which route to go?

dockingbay97
12-21-2004, 11:04 AM
I don't think a rule against auction outing will ever fly and it would only give the censorship crusaders more fuel.

I think it really boils down to collectors' etiquitte.

Whether you decide to follow that collectors' etiquitte is really up to you.

Some people think it is no big deal to out an auction. It really takes having auctions you are watching to be outed to change your mind, not a rule against it.

Patrick A. Riley
12-21-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm glad it's this way. I'm also glad the ban on "prototype/pre-production" auctions was lifted as well

dockingbay97
12-21-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm glad it's this way. I'm also glad the ban on "prototype/pre-production" auctions was lifted as well

It was never really lifted - there is just a lot less of it on eBay - and we the mods (or at least me) got lazy when it came to this.

The fact remains that Hasbro as expressed that we not allow those posts for many reasons to include some of these:

1. They are stolen merchandise
2. May not reflect how a toy will look and they don't want consumers misled.
3. May be a toy that has not met safety standards yet.
4. They are stolen merchandise.

I encourage any of you to talk to a Hasbro rep the next time you see them at a Con. They will be more than happy to share their opinions on these figures.

Propadeutic
12-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the policy clarification, DB.