using magazine photos on this site [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : using magazine photos on this site

dockingbay97
12-31-2004, 09:53 AM
Both Tomart's and Lee's have been bent out of shape in the past when people scan photos out of their magazines and use them on the web without persmission. It is their copyrighted information.

I advise you against doing this as it could lead to legal troubles for both the original poster and possibly this board.

Now I Know...
12-31-2004, 11:24 AM
Does that include links? As well as posting the actual pics? Just curious.

dockingbay97
12-31-2004, 12:17 PM
I would think linking to something on their site would be ok but reproducing stuff out of their magazine should be avoided.

review-this
12-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Both Tomart's and Lee's have been bent out of shape in the past when people scan photos out of their magazines and use them on the web without persmission. It is their copyrighted information.

I advise you against doing this as it could lead to legal troubles for both the original poster and possibly this board.

I work for a newspaper and have written three books.
So I know the in’s and out’s of posting stuff like this.
Once the article has been printed, it becomes public domain.
As long as you mention the source (IE: Lee’s Toy Review, Issue 143, Page 7).
Otherwise every website in the world would be in jeopardy of a lawsuit.

GBPackRat
12-31-2004, 10:16 PM
I guess I never thought about it, but I suppose your right. As soon as you cite a source, your good...

Guess its like writting a research paper, cite your sources and copyright infringement no longer holds...

Tanner

JustinBarnhill
01-05-2005, 09:54 AM
i agree as long as the ref. the mag, i don't see where this is a problem. no one buys lee's and tomats for the pictures, its the articles man...the articles...

i guess we should take down the filecard scans and hasbro brochure scans also....

dockingbay97
01-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Look, I am just suggesting you not do it as both those magazines have been known to throw a fit in the past.

I am not trying to say I know the law or what can or can't be done.

I am just saying they can be bent out of shape is all and it may save you trouble not to post pics on the web from their magazine.

thunt4
01-05-2005, 11:46 PM
I know this is offtopic but does Lee's plan on releasing a sample photo of there new book? I was curious how they have it set up as far as parts and such

Jeff Bohn
01-06-2005, 05:26 AM
Yes.

Check out this thread.

http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=16973

thunt4
01-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks a lot