Devil's Due Killing Beloved Characters! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Devil's Due Killing Beloved Characters!

seaneley
01-01-2005, 10:28 AM
I really like the direction of the comics under Devil's Due, except for one thing: they seem to relish the idea of "killing off" characters that they deem "unimportant". The reason that I believe this is that Snake Eyes (a favorite), would never be this casually disregarded (in my opinion). :confused:

When I am scanning YoJoe.com, I often get a real sense of loss when I see Skidmark, Tracker, Dee-Jaye (killed by L. Hama) and others. I have next to me a Skidmark figure I was able to piece together from different garage sales, and am saddened that he received little attention in the Marvel run or the D.D. run. He only "lived to die", as the saying goes... :(

Just wondering if anyone else feels this way? Maybe I am an oversentimental, nostalgic buffoon... :o

ShortFuze
01-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Chuckles, Flash, Breaker, Quick Kick, Mainframe....Now those are some names that I feel sorry for.

Skidmark? Not So Much.

Obiwanjacoby
01-01-2005, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't get too heavy on thinking of Devil's Due as the official continuity for the Joes. There's just so many different, unrelated, alt. universe storylines, you'd think this was Transformers or something :rolleyes:

-PJ

Now I Know...
01-01-2005, 02:47 PM
I agree seeing some of the less used characters get bumped off,with little or no use of them seems kinda sucky.And from a writing stand point we really don't have enough of an emtional attachment to some of these characters,to be sad for them.Which is a shame.When Doc got killed I really felt bad about that one.We knew him,trusted him,liked him,and he died horribly.Making the SAW-Viper(Robert Skelton/Overkill) an instant super heavyweight bad guy.

Killing Skidmark well seemed a little hollow.Most of us barely remebered what story line he was in.(Star-Viper infiltrates Pitt III by the way.)

I would've hoped some of these guys woulda gotten more exposure in Frontline like Chuckles did.But they cancelled that book.

seaneley
01-01-2005, 08:46 PM
As a kid, I devoured the info. on the file cards, so I felt that I "knew" these characters pretty well. I never felt like Snake Eyes was any more important than Skidmark, Tracker or Hardball. I "loved" them all. It just sucks to see the memory of them treated so cavalierly, especially when I am on this very site, checking for weapons and accesories to match my garage sale acquirements, and it hits me that many of the men I am putting together are now on the "fallen list" and received zero respect in the process. (The opinions of the poster are not necessarily shared by those of management! Ha! Ha! :D )

Robot Rabbit
01-07-2005, 09:33 AM
I was sorry to see Chuckles go after GI Joe: Frontline made him into a cool character. That 4-issue story arc was one of my favorites.

I'm sorry to see Mainframe on the deceased list too. Can anyone tell me when he died (what issue & how?).

Phil Kost
01-07-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry to see Mainframe on the deceased list too. Can anyone tell me when he died (what issue & how?).

GI Joe #25, he and Flash were killed in an explosion on Cobra Island.

Evil Ryu
01-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Some of the characters, I don't mind. Yeah, it sucks about Quick Kick and most definantely sucks about Mainframe and even Flash was getting cooler. Oh well, at least MF when out with a cool line.

Cobra: Any last words?
MF: Yeah. Mission Complete.

Could be worse. At least Daemon's not around anymore. Not a bad character. Just seemed to immature to be with Joes I thought.

Dreadnok4life
01-07-2005, 05:27 PM
I sort of stopped reading all the Devil's Due titles out of indifference. I read somewhere that Jerwa was killing off the Baroness. Is that true? If so he needs to be removed from the book ASAP.

seaneley
01-07-2005, 10:36 PM
...Could be worse. At least Daemon's not around anymore. Not a bad character. Just seemed to immature to be with Joes I thought.

Daemon does not bother me, because he was never an action figure. Dee-Jaye's "death" bothers me because, not only did he have 2 action figures based on him, but he appeared in only one comic, hardly said a word, and then was char-broiled alive. Tracker's "death" was worse. Not only was he never introduced, we never even saw him in his Navy S.E.A.L. uniform and he was confused with Action Man! (I'm assuming this is becasue the 3 & 3/4 "Action Man" basically shared the same mold as the Tracker action figure, though they look completely different.)

*Sigh*

:(