Ninja Battles [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Ninja Battles

Godai
01-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Ok folks, I just seen that there was a DVD called Ninja Battles and it was released late 2004, but i havent seen it anywhere at all, any suggestions on where to look cause this is must have for me.:)

FireChief420
01-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Look around.
http://www.joesightings.com/Sightings.php?JoeId=455

Godai
01-04-2005, 02:42 AM
Thanx now i ahve an idea where to look.

FireChief420
01-04-2005, 04:03 AM
No problem.

Godai
01-04-2005, 04:27 AM
Have yall seen this movie, Spy Troops was OK a bit too kiddy, but Stormy and Snakes was better then in Valor Vs. Venom but the movie was bit more adult than spy troops. How is this movie?

Obiwanjacoby
01-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Yeah, someone please tell us about this!

I'm jonesin' for a long-winded Ninja Battles review!

-PJ

zark1976
01-13-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't know how long winded my review will be, but here you have it. This is the origin of Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow as told by one of their instructors and the creator of the Arashikage swords. It reveals an entirely different origin than any that I have ever heard of before. Throughout most of the 22 minute episode animation is at a minimum. there are stills that are pushed in on and pulled out from, then these are interspersed with clips of SE and SS fighting from Spy Troops and VvV. Finally at the end, the static panels dissolve to a new CG sequence as all of the named Ninja's up to this point, and the new Joe ninja Tiger Claw have a fight, in which Duke lands the last punch. sorry if that was spoilerish.

CGC
01-14-2005, 11:14 AM
I could only find one set, so I haven't opened it yet. Good review, but why would Duke be fighting the Ninjas? Must be a masochist...

zark1976
01-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Duke was just kind of standing in the background, and then did like nothing through the entire fight. It made like no sense. The CG G.I. Joe appears to not have the same storyline as the comics or the original cartoon series. It may be that they have a similar story line to those mini comics in the toys. None of it seems to make any sense, and the SE SS origin in the little cartoon is just completely wrong as far as I can remember. Does anyone want spoilers?

Graz73
01-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Here are my comments on the comic...
SPOILERS BELOW!!!

The comic:
THe 2 apprentices (Tiger Paw & ShadowStrike) are kidknapped by "Blackdragon" a former Arishikage.

THe story is told from the perspective of the "Iron Master", a new character (apparently not the guy who trained Zartan). He was a clan member and tells the reader how Black dragon embraced high-tech weapons instead of the old ways and broke away from the clan.

He also tells how an unknown assasin with a "modern weapon" killed the hard master, leading to the rift between SE and Stormshadow. This part is intersting. It shows a picture of a ninja hiding in some leaves with an assault rifle. The next picture shows hardmaster falling back with blood in his mouth. Because the caption is vague, this scene can be interpreted several ways:

1) The literal way. THe guy with the gun (probably Blackdragon) shot the Hard Master.
2) Maybe the "Shadowstrike with a laser-pistol" execution from the DVD would also fit in this story. An unshown "Modern weapon"
3) The "modern weapon" could be referring to the compound bow with audio amplifiers used by Zartan in the original version of this story.

Anyway, Snakeeyes, Stormshadow, Slice, Slash, Kamakura & Jinx join forces to rescue the 2 apprentices. Blackdragon apparently wanted the 2 halves of an amulet that each of the apprentices posess. The amulet is supposed to give him some magic Arishikage power if he activates it at the right time. It ends with SE and Stormshadow working together to defeat Black dragon and get back the amulet. Then, of course, they leave saying that their truce is over.

Graz73
01-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Here are my comments on the DVD...
SPOILERS BELOW!!!

The DVD:

This story was told in 4 short parts. It seemed almost a half-baked version of those Star Wars Clone Wars cartoons because it is portrayed in comic book art rather than full animation. Maybe Hasbro had hoped to air these on TV to promote the VvV toys?

Anyway, The Ironmaster is making a sword for TigerPaw at his forge/workshop, and telling him the Arishikage history.

He says that SE and Stormshadow were once fellow students and were like brothers. Snakeeyes is shown unmasked looking like a shadowy blonde guy (much like in the comics) They both look pretty young, probably too young to be Nam Vets...

They undergo a series of tests, conducted by the Hardmaster, to judge their character. Stormshadow, even though he is said to be Snake Eyes friend, uses underhanded sneaky tactics to win. Snakeeyes wins at one test standing atop poles. Shadowstrike, instead of being Stormshadow's apprentice, is shown to be another Arishikage student. He is secrently a plant from Cobra. While these trials are going on, he activates some beacon calling in Cobra commander along with Slice and Slash (who are their adult selves) and an ARMY of V1 BATs. Cobra commander waits outside the Compound (laughing evily) waiting for Shadowstrike's signal...

Meanwhile, inside, Shadowstrike is trying to influence Stormshadow to corrupt him to evil. Finally it is time for the last test. SE and Stormshadow are armed with LASER GUNS and put into a hall of mirrors. They are supposed to shoot out all of the mirrors without shooting each other. Shadowstrike sneaks into the maze too, shooting Hardmaster. Stormshadow finds the body and blames snake eyes for the killing.

Also, it is added that Hardmaster was Stormshadow's FATHER.

Then Shadowstrike gives the signal and the army of BATs start blasting away at the Dojo, destroying the Arishikage headquarters. Cobra Commander shows up and somehow hypnotizes Stormshadow further, securing his ties to Cobra...

Just as Ironmaster's story ends, the Cobra Ninja's attack the Dojo and everything turns from comic book art to CGI...

A big fight ensues with all kinds of Ninja moves. The cobras are driven off. Tiger Paw is welcomed to the team and says "Yo JOE!"
The End...

All in all, it was entertaining as long as you can stomach the many continuity problems. This would NOT work as part of Marvel continuity, even with a bunch of far-fetched rationalizing. Maybe this could be their origin from the Cartoons or at least their origin from the new DVD continuity...

FireFox91
01-16-2005, 07:35 PM
I agree that there were a lot of continuity problems with DVD and I think a little in the comic book. But if you set those aside, they were both pretty good. Considering I wasn't going to buy this set at all, I am very pleased. The toon was certainly a lot better than most of what DIC put out. :)